YOU RIDE IN LONDON? THEN READ THIS - VITAL!!!!

In response to Roo’s post. I have to say that the comment from the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea is encouraging.

However, please remember that currently these are NOT the plans of **Westminster City Council[/].

WCC covers the main central area of London, from Paddington in the north to Victoria in the south and then eastwards towards Soho. It a vast area and it’s the main area of London that see’s the biggest number of visitors daily. So parking here for bikers is crucial.

MCN wrongly mentioned last week that WCC would be providing some additional security devices (rails etc.) but this is NOT the case. Yes it was in their original proposal but it has since been dismissed.

Also, some people have mentioned that there is no where to put a parking ticket receipt on a bike. The intention by WCC is to use their “Pay by Phone” option for bikers. This is already in operation and started this year for cars - see here:

http://www.westminster.gov.uk/parking/paybyphone.cfm

In fact that info on the website is out of date as the scheme has been extended since. So not only will you pay for parking you’ll also need a phone with you as it will be the ONLY way to pay for a single visit.

I’ve also seen on this site that there is now a “national petition” to campaign on this issue aimed at No 10. Thats all very well but LOCAL councils are the ones who have the powers to devise and enforce parking policy in their areas so riders should be writing to them.

It’s also not TFL or Ken Livingstone so don’t blame them them as well. I had a letter back from the Mayor’s office last week (Ken’s office) which although sympathic to the issue, they re-enforced the fact that this is a COUNCIL issue.

So although petitions are very convenient it’s best if you voice your concerns with an individual letter or email.

Westminster City Council’s cabinet member responsible for parking is Cllr Danny Chalkley - he was the one on the TV talking about the issue. May I suggest that you write to him on this online response form that goes straight to him:

http://www3.westminster.gov.uk/forms/emailform.cfm?cllr_id=11&comments=

Also, maybe email Mr Philip Basher - Polcy Manager for Parking and Projects at Westminster City Council

[email protected]

or write to either of them:

Westminster City Council
64 Victoria Street
London
SW1E 6QP

Please be polite and constructive in voicing your opinions otherwise bikers look like idiots. Also, ask for a WRITTEN REPLY in each case. The more work they need to do the more they will think about the consequencies.

Also, I understand that MAG have a meeting soon with WCC, and MCN are running a piece with WCC’s response in next week’s issue (Wed 17.01.07 issue)

Cheers

I’ve also seen on this site that there is now a “national petition” to campaign on this issue aimed at No 10. Thats all very well but LOCAL councils are the ones who have the powers to devise and enforce parking policy in their areas so riders should be writing to them.

Councils are responsible for enforcing parking policies however, they still have to submit their proposals to parliament… if parliament rejects their proposals, then they can’t be implemented. That’s what the national petition is all about so it is essential that you sign it.

Err… no they don’t. With respect I think you are misinformed.

I’m afraid Mr member of the Cabinet, but I’m not convinced about your message. My understanding is that resident motorcyclists in the RBKC are not obliged to register their bike with the council and therefore pay for a parking permit. You may have fitted in wonderful security devices across the borough, but if residents carry on using the free bays because they refuse to pay for a parking permit (which frankly I will do…), these security devices will remain unused and the free bays will be packed. Visitors will not be able to park their motorcycle in free bays because they will be fully used by residents, and they will therefore get a ticket.

This is an indirect way of charging motorcyclists for parking, which will have the consequence of reducing the use of motorcycles in London. Motorcycles, because they reduce congestion and pollution, are exempt from the congestion charge and their use is encouraged by the Government and Mayor of London. Any attempt to charge for motorcycle parking (whether directly or indirectly) goes against the Government and Mayor initiatives to reduce congestion, pollution and increase environmental awareness.

The national petition on No 10 Downing Street website is not just directed at Westminster council. It is for all the councils, nationwide, which have put forward proposals to charge for motorcycle parking, whatever way they have proposed to do it (by means of resident permit or whatever other method). This includes the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea.

There are so many people who are furious about this issue, that protests will be very strong on a national scale.

done…so are we if this goes through .

Signed. MMMMM Money grabbin …

signed!

signed