Yamaha Service?

no one here rides virago so not sure l will have an answer but anyone can recommend good service for xv yamaha in london? how much is it> never had that done. bits and bobs fixed, mot and all that jazz, its my second year on this bike and l think l might have it checked

London is pretty big so might want to narrow that down a bit, unless you’re willing to travel across town?

I would recommend the oval motorcycle centre to learn to do it yourself but you need time to do it 

l dont mind traveling around. l get all my bike jobs done in sw even though l live in east now. been to oval centre, good guys but as you said you need time for this

what about scorch? he do all your work for you 

how many miles has the bike done? does it need it’s valves checking?

it only did 4k since l got it 2 years ago. has 15,5k on a clock total, buts its 1997 

looks like quite a lot of items need checking at 12000 miles, page 64: http://www.starmotorcycles.com/assets/service/manuals/1998/LIT-11626-10-86_312.pdf

Well, what’ve you got in mind for it? It’s less important that you do it by-the-book when there’s no warranty to bother with. It wont hurt to get the valve spacing checked, but it’s not unusual to wait until they’re making noises before bothering. 

Scorch and the OMC are the forum-approved places to get work done or do it yourself, and you’re unlikely to find much else experience-wise here. I’m sure there are decent workshops out East, but I don’t know what they are.

In general, a dealership is your most expensive option, and a one-man-and-his-workship probably your cheapest. In general, the more you pay the quicker the work will be done and the more likely you are to get a courtesy bike (and the better it’s likely to be). It’s not really the case that a more expensive workshop does better work in general, it’s the stock levels and size that you’re paying for really.

I’ll second that.

If you go to a dealer. Make sure you can double check they’ve done everything they said they’ve done :triumph:

Bacon’s Motorcycles aka East London Kawasaki.

However, if you’re prepared to travel to Raleigh, Essex, I can thoroughly recommend Derek Guyver. Message me for his number. I’ve been using him for all my bikes since 19882, with the exception of bees in their warranty.

Ok, I made a couple of typos: 1982 and bikes, not bees.

I’m very careful about where I get my bees serviced…

what’s the buzz?

Hmmmm time machine being used me thinks … or finally he’s flipped and fully thinks he’s a cat

Bacon's Motorcycles aka East London Kawasaki.

However, if you’re prepared to travel to Raleigh, Essex, I can thoroughly recommend Derek Guyver. Message me for his number. I’ve been using him for all my bikes since 19882, with the exception of bees in their warranty.

Aceman
hm Railegh a BIT too far ;) not usre l wanna do my old yamaha in kawasaki dealer?...do l...?
[quote] Bacon's Motorcycles aka East London Kawasaki.

Aceman
[/quote]

Hmmmm time machine being used me thinks … or finally he’s flipped and fully thinks he’s a cat

TimR
In the future, bees will come with a warranty. Don't remember seeing that on Tomorrow's World.

Maybe it’s a star date?

Woodford Yamaha?  Tube station near by, if you needed to go back to work, and a couple of nice cafes near by to have brekky/lunch in while you wait (thats what i do).

banman - Star date?  I wish, just typos banman.

Redwez - Woodford Yamaha?  They used to be excellent, but check with banman first, he had a problem with them recently.

Banman - What happened?  I only took my bike for its first service, and they were friendly and helpful. They also fitted some parts, which I didnt buy from them (which is outside of their normal policy).