worth selling car for a bike

hey all after your advice again, really want to jump on and get this bike asap, would it be forth selling a car to pay for the bike.

my concern would be riding in winter what is that like, do any of you ride in winter or do you tuck your bikes up all warm and snug haha

I would get rid of the car :stuck_out_tongue:
That’s what I did, I barely used the car as soon as I got my bike. No point paying ridiculous insurance premiums, £220 road tax, petrol for something you’ll rarely use.

I got my bike at the end of November and have been riding ever since. Just make sure you get a nice warm jacket, some decent gloves and then just man up in the winter :smiley:

lol man up for the winter i like that. in theory i see it being cheaper with out the car only thing would be i have to sell it at a price that would pay off the rest of the finance on it. hopefully mother wold let me use her car while im here if needed then it would not be 2 bad.

can any one give a round about cost of when your 1st starting out on a bike? i.e. cost of gear etc

Riding in the winter… It all depends on you really and the gear you have… I did it but then again my commute was tiny (Angel-Londin Bridge :P) but I did manage to get on a couple of winter rideouts.

You’ll need good gear (Goretex waterproofs with good thermal linings) and you’ll be able to enjoy it more. If you get things like heated gloves/jackets then it makes things a lot easier.

The bike you get may also make it easier/ harder - for example a naked bike isn’t the best choice as the wind hitting your chest is not the most pleasurable experience… Roads are slippery and what not but you can overcome ALL of these problems on almost every day except on days like the ones we had last year where it just kept on snowing.

I think in terms of usage I used my bike every day except those days (probably 5-10) were it snowed heavily or the roads were still icy…

It’s doable and it will make you a better rider :wink:

Cost of Gear really depends on what you’re after… You’ll probably end up buying different things for different seasons - I can’t wear my HG Goretex jacket in the summer as it’s too hot but I have a mesh one and I’m getting a medium thickness one for when the weather is like now… I’ll give you an example of the things I bought and you can see prices from there:

HG Goretex Tricky III suit - 350 for the jacket, 150 for the trousers on discount (250 normally)
Hood jeans with armour - 110
Mesh Spada jacket - 50 (ebay priced - normally 100)
Shoei XR1100 - 300
TCX Waterproof boots - 140
HG Racing gloves - 85
Some other waterproof winter gloves (can’t remember brand as I never wored them) - around 50

So you can see it all depends WHAT you want to buy… Shop around before you buy stuff and the bike as what I did was go to the HG the day I was going to look and buy the bike and pressed myself into buying the stuff they had there…

cheers, thanks for that I guess for me I would have to start cheep just so I had what would be needed to get me going and then just buy the extra stuff from there when i can afford it.

my biggest issues will be security and where to park my bike… ill have fun doing that one.

Almax + lockable cover +disclock to lock the cover on the front wheel so that they don’t get tempted to lift it as bare minimums and then go on to add tracker, alarms etc…

The problem is to find somewhere to lock it to…

yeah, my front garden is a little dodge. its got an upper and lower level i would like to keep it on lower level but that would mean getting it down 6-7 steps. upper level has the front fence but a good spanner qould sort that out. although i do have a spot light sensor but will that put people off who knows.

next door has a gate to there lower level part of the garden so with a little word i may be able to stick it there. or i may just have to get one of them ground chain holder thing dont know what its called sorry.

some sort of ramp?

But ultimately if they want the bike, they’ll take it… they carried bikergirl’s R6 up stairs! C*nts…

want a bunch of w****rs make me sick to be honest why people have to be like that, but it true if there going to take t they will guess thats what insurance is for if they do any thing that is.

For winter gloves, Oxfords bone dry really do work, also windproof glove liners. This combination makes for snug hands. Scott’s textiles have nice quilted linings and are good for the cold weather.

I do 200/250 miles a week commuting and used the bike all the time apart from when it snowed.

I tuck mine up in winter, but only because i feel the cold so bad, riding to me should be fun, i dont need to commute on mine, as i work in the car… and its no fun when all you can think about is where your fingers have gone cos their so numb :frowning:

I’ve riden reasonable distances in the winter but I do have heated grips n a good pair of waterproof gloves. Have to say my Alpinestar gortex boots are great for most of the year. A mate rides his commute every day exept in the snow n he swears by Hein Gerrick gortex jacket n trousers.

You can kit yourself out for as little as £100 from Ebay or upto £1000+ if you go for new stuff

Starting out with the risk of falls etc, I would use secondhand stuff first

this… sell the car, get the bike to use all summer then come oct buy a old dog pug 306 to chug round in till may time :slight_smile:

<a href=UserInfo16300.aspx Class=‘SmlLinks’ Title=‘View Member\s Profile’>View Member’s Profile<a href=BuddyIgnoreList1.aspx?Username=asoe209 Class=‘SmlLinks’ Title=‘Add to Buddy List’>Add to Buddy List<a href=__doPostBack(‘butSendPrivateMessage’,‘16300’); onmouseover=‘window.status=window.location;return true;’; onmouseout=window.status=’’;return true; Class=‘SmlLinks’ Title=‘Send Private Message’>Send Private Message<a href=__doPostBack(‘butSendEmail’,‘16300’); onmouseover=‘window.status=window.location;return true;’; onmouseout=window.status=’’;return true; Class=‘SmlLinks’ Title=‘Send Email To Member’>Send Email To Member<a href=__doPostBack(‘butShowMemberPosts’,‘16300’); onmouseover=‘window.status=window.location;return true;’; onmouseout=window.status=’’;return true; Class=‘SmlLinks’ Title=‘Find All Member\s Posts’>Find All Member’s Posts’,‘165px’);" onclick=“InstantASP_OpenMenu(’_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl25_smAuthorName’,’_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl25_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer’,’<a href=UserInfo16300.aspx Class=‘SmlLinks’ Title=‘View Member\s Profile’>View Member’s Profile<a href=BuddyIgnoreList1.aspx?Username=asoe209 Class=‘SmlLinks’ Title=‘Add to Buddy List’>Add to Buddy List<a href=__doPostBack(‘butSendPrivateMessage’,‘16300’); onmouseover=‘window.status=window.location;return true;’; onmouseout=window.status=’’;return true; Class=‘SmlLinks’ Title=‘Send Private Message’>Send Private Message<a href=__doPostBack(‘butSendEmail’,‘16300’); onmouseover=‘window.status=window.location;return true;’; onmouseout=window.status=’’;return true; Class=‘SmlLinks’ Title=‘Send Email To Member’>Send Email To Member<a href=__doPostBack(‘butShowMemberPosts’,‘16300’); onmouseover=‘window.status=window.location;return true;’; onmouseout=window.status=’’;return true; Class=‘SmlLinks’ Title=‘Find All Member\s Posts’>Find All Member’s Posts’,‘165px’);”><A id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl25_smAuthorName class=SmlBoldLinks onmouseover=“window.status = window.location;return true;” onmouseout=“window.status=’’;return true;” href=“void(’’);”>asoe209Have you a full bike leicence? I got about 3 old Kawasaki ER5’s

Na I have not passed it yet im still to do a CBT hoping to do that nest month just waiting to get paid and then im going to book it.

after that it is decision time so ill either look into selling the car or ill save to buy a the bike and run both.

@ Leon sound idea but im to lazy to be doing that every year buying selling all that stuff there.

could you afford a cheaper bike and car?

if you handy with a spanner (or know someone who wants to help) you can get a 125 from about £400.

cant say that i really am handy with them things right now at least. I know nothing about them both but some thing that i would like to learn as i go along.

I got my heart set on the yzf r125 chances are i wont stop till i get that :wink:

you lb members are my teachers haha…

IF you can afford keep both. I used to be all hardcore motorcycle only regardless of the weather, but at the end of the day, its easier to do the shopping in a car, its easier to go for a night out at the cinema, or restaurant in a car, its better in the rain and the cold.

There are advantages in the car, just commuting is not one of them.

I’ve just completed my 2nd winter commuting in London (6 miles one way) and even though it can be tough at times, with the right gear and warm thoughts, you’ll get through it :slight_smile: Eventually, you’ll also get used the cold and I rather be cold than having to take public transport. Mind, I haven’t had a cold or the flu in the past two years and I’m convinced it’s all down to me not being stuck in the tube with a load of other people’s germs.

The bike is my main mode of transport. I do have a membership with Streetcar for the odd journey - like today, I had to pick up a desk and rented a van for £14.95 for a couple of hours. Cars are cheaper at around £5/h. You don’t pay fuel or congestion charge. There is no need for me to have a car. I do my shopping online and pick up the odd bits on my way home from work, which fit in a back pack.

As for security - you do need to be careful and get the right stuff. Not having a super-nickable bike, helps too :slight_smile: A decent 2nd hand commuter, chained to a lamp post or ground anchor is not overly desirable for professional thieves.

As for your front garden problem - I have a 35cm step that leads into my front garden and I get my bike in, using a rubber ramp bought from Ebay for around £40. I can send you the link if you are interested.

Hope this helps :slight_smile: