World Record attempt RBLR1000 2022

Entries are now open online for the 2022 RBLR 1000 at the RBLR website

The RBLR1000 is a challenging long distance charity motorcycle ride in support of the Poppy Appeal jointly organised by the Iron Butt Association (IBA) and the Royal British Legion Riders branch (RBLR). In 2021 we raised £27,000 for the Poppy Appeal with just 130 riders. For the 2022 RBLR1000 the IBA UK are attempting to set a World Record by having 400+ riders complete a 1000 mile ride at the same event. The current World Record was set in the USA in 2009 when 382 riders successfully completed a 1000 mile ride inside 24 hours.

Sign up now if you want to be part of this World Record attempt. There are four 1,000 mile pre-verified routes to choose from as well as two 500 mile routes for less experienced riders. Complete one of the 1,000 mile routes in under 24 hours to be part of the World Record attempt and gain free lifetime membership of the Iron Butt Association.

As always the ride starts and finishes at Squires Cafe Newthorpe Lane, Newthorpe, Leeds LS25 5LX where there is free camping with facilities for rufty tuftys and several local budget hotels for others.

Itinerary

Friday 10th June 2022
1:30 pm to 7:30 pm Registration at Squires.
8 pm ride briefing.

Saturday 12th June 2021
5am to 6am 1,000 mile riders under starter’s orders.
6am to 7am 500 mile riders under starter’s orders.
10pm first 1000 mile riders expected back at Squires

Sunday 13th June 2021
Goodbyes, and leave for home.

#RBLR1000

1 Like

@TDJ, are you doing it this year?

@National_Treasure are you going to do it again this year?

Yes, I’ve signed on

Not to late to sign on, full details on the RBLR1000 website

#RBLR1000

Congratulations to @The_Sleeper on completing his first SS1000 by way of the RBLR1000 and gaining membership to the IBA UK.

Well done, a fine achievement

4 Likes

Thanks @National_Treasure, was a great day, some amazing roads typical Scottish weather but all in all really pleased I did it.

And thanks again for letting me tag along with you, learnt lots, woken up this morning already starting to think should I go again next year, so you never know you might have to put up with me again.

Hey that’s fantastic. Nice work guys! Any photos?

Sorry no photos, remind just before next years sortie. We managed 1006 miles in 20½ hours (05:10 to 01:44) should have been nearer 19 hours except for grabbing a couple of bonus locations for the Brit Butt Tour, a drive chain problem, a weak bladder and a mix up with a fuel payment at Rivington Services (no way was I going to pay £29 for 7L).

The other down sides this year was the Lesmahagow fuel stop was closed for refurbishment and we had to continue on to Stonehouse on vapours but hey ho it was only 8 miles, heavy rain and strong winds from Crianlarich through Glencoe and on to Fort William nearly blew us of the road. On the plus side very good progress was made through the twists and turns from Fort William to Wick and back down to Inverness which made it all very worthwhile.

Top tip - Don’t load your camping gear with the bike on the side stand on grass, replacement front brake lever ordered this morning.

4 Likes

Well done both of you.

I was on the way in to the office today, nice sunny sky and thought I’d love to be doing it again this weekend. So, watch this space I may very well be back next year…

Hooked

Nothing to stop you designing your own route…

Top tip for anyone thinking of planning their own route - get the route pre-verified before you ride it by emailing your itinerary to [email protected]

Or you could just ride one of the RBLR southern routes. Starting and finishing at South Mimms Service Area and adding a 24hr fuel station receipt/stop at Ferrybridge Service Area M62 J33 in place of Squires cafe.

Did you’se book a hotel or ride home from the finish?

Squires Cafe has a camp site and allow free camping to all RBLR1000 entrants that want it, about 30% of the entrants camp on site, we arrived Friday afternoon and pitched our tents. Early to bed early to rise, the ride starts at 5am with groups of 20 riders departing Squires Cafe at 10 minute intervals. We were in the second wave and had a 5:10 am start and took 20½ hours to complete the 1,006 miles arriving back at Squires at 1:44 am. We were back in our sleeping bags just after 2 am Sunday morning for a good 8 hours sleep.

That’s the rufty tufty way, in other years I’ve booked an hotel for Friday night through to midday Sunday.

1 Like