Workbenches

Was going to combat that with plywood cover, the scaffolding boards would be for strength

Was going to combat that with plywood cover, the scaffolding boards would be for strength

Curtis
you should never try to get a tight joint in wide timber try for a 2p gap this will allow the timber to move

if you put ply over the top don’t pepper it with fixings

Yeah, I’d go for an 8-12mm ply or chipboard top (or MDF if you’re not a complete ape and like the texture). Bolting or gluing timbers together to make a thick top isn’t terribly pointful for the faff involved.

If I were building one from scratch I’d just use old or off-cuts of joists and top it with a new bit of chipboard. I’d also not bother to make it free-standing if I could help it. It’s amazing how much you can stabilise something by bolting it to a wall.

Yeah, I'd go for an 8-12mm ply or chipboard top (or MDF if you're not a complete ape and like the texture). Bolting or gluing timbers together to make a thick top isn't terribly pointful for the faff involved.

If I were building one from scratch I’d just use old or off-cuts of joists and top it with a new bit of chipboard. I’d also not bother to make it free-standing if I could help it. It’s amazing how much you can stabilise something by bolting it to a wall.

Big Red S

you could also use a kitchen worktop they are good for  keeping clean

look on ebay or gumtree  you be surprised how often they are over ordered & sold on cheap

I usually buy offcuts for my radial saw base when I need to

Actually, yeah, a couple of the benches at my dad’s are worktop thinking about it.

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

photo_upload.jpg

those are mine. 

don’t hate on the mess.

Hating on the mess… that would do my head in.

it cant be a bench if you cant work on it

that’s a flat surface full of shit

No wonder nothing is ever running!

I’ve a few things in progress at the same time, they all take up bench space

Yeah, those are just particularly deep shelves.

No wonder nothing is ever running! Kevsta
A low blow.....Any lower and you will have points deducted ;-)

Will keep you updated with progress of mine, got the wood for £47 just need find a worktop. Got to install ground anchor first though

I know you’ve already set your heart on wood (ha). But for anyone else interested, here are some cheaper versions of the same thing Curtis mentioned in his first post:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pro-Workbench-Pegboard-Workshop-Capacity/dp/B00K7CMQA8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Boltless-Workbench-Worktable-Workshop/dp/B00LZPS6T6

no crossbracing. those things will flex like they’re doing yoga unless they’re bolted to a wall

As me_groovy has said went for something stronger as going to need a vice and maybe pillar drill plus an engine on the work surface

Woods arrived…delivered x7 8ft 4x2 too many by mistake if anyone needs any…

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

Going to take a while, in hindsight should of hired an electric saw…

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

I’ve got one like this you could borrow

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg