Workbenches

looking at a garage workbench and wondered if anyone had any good recommendations. will ned to be able to attach a small vice to it. like the look of this one… https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cwb-r1-workbench-red/

That wooden top looks lightweight. If you’re gonna attach a vice or do anything heavy with the bench you’ll destroy it. Decent work benches don’t usually have MDF tops.

you could get load of cheap 2x4 and glue it up to make a solid top…

I made my last one out of 70x40mm steel frame & welded it up

& got some scaffold boards for a worktop  

Made my last one as well. Went with what was available is my mates wood pile. Just had to be strong enough to have the odd engine or two put on top of it.

Ol’ Delboy on YouTube got some nice ones made for “cheaper than what he could get the wood for”. Treated wood, should last a long while… http://wellstimber.co.uk/product-category/work-benches/

+1 on what’s available.

My proper Heath Robinson workbench is made up of an old 5’ x 3’ timber based workmans treasel table rescued off of a neighbours skip, reinforced with some off cuts of 18 mm birch ply and stabilised across the back with a freecycle win of some IKEA timber frame shelving units.

as long as you don’t use carcassing you should be ok

treated or untreated will be fine I have two old saw horses that are untreated & probably going on 15years old

if your planning on an engineers vice & timber worktop then either use some large washers or a metal plate to stop you crushing the timber

MDF is crap for worktops even moister resistant MDF will expand when it gets wet & it wont recover its structure when it dries out  unlike timber which can

ply is fine but again it can delaminate if it get wet unless you pay through the nose for marine grade

make your own the best workbench’s use are always home made them ones just flimsy and poor quality 

+1 vote for making your own. much as I like Clarke kit, an MDF top is going to get obliterated. I made mine from a bunch of scrap and pallet wood so it was strong enough to mount an engine on. getting the engine up on it is a bit tricky though.

Find an old stainless steel table from a kitchen, optionally with a bit of chipboard on top. 

I don’t know how easy that is generally, I don’t look very often :slight_smile:

if you have access to a van, you can get some study benches on gumtree sometimes being thrown away

Me and making things don’t go too well. Ask my design technology teacher from school lol.

Good thinking Groovy will check that out or see how much joiner/carpenter will charge to build one

you can pay me to come do it if you can get hold of some scaffold boards

you can pay me to come do it if you can get hold of some scaffold boards me_groovy
ask your local scaffolders they will sell them

I’ve found an online, idiots guide to build this…

Although going to make the work surface out of scaffolding boards as thicker and add peg board to the back. Just awaiting for quote for all the wood from local reclaimed wood company near me

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

can pay you in biscuits and tea to help Me_groovy :grin:

If your going for something that fancy get on down to Wickes

5 off 38 x 63 x 2400 mm studwork  @ £9.95

5 off 38 x 89 x 2400 mm studwork @ £16.95

and a proper decent carcass can be had for less than £25.00 just add some plywood for the bench top and shelving

If your going for something that fancy get on down to Wickes

5 off 38 x 63 x 2400 mm studwork  @ £9.95

5 off 38 x 89 x 2400 mm studwork @ £16.95

and a proper decent carcass can be had for less than £25.00 just add some plywood for the bench top and shelving

National Treasure
wicks is the last place to buy timber

the quality is best described as shit

you would be surprised that a good timber yard cost can be as low if not lower for better quality timber

second hand joists would be a very good option and or rafters as they are stress graded & there moisture content is stable

timber brought from yards can have delivery moisture content & timber brought from wicks well it can bow like a whores legs as its never controlled

see for that, I’d just use scaffold boards for the top and for the legs too. 

trouble with scaffold boards for the worktop is that they don’t have a square edge so they won’t meet together very well and you’d end up annoying gaps.