Wireless earbuds under helmet

It was a hope against hope I suppose. Shame.

Sorry one last thing……
Am I right in thinking all the wires have gone now? Bluetooth?

I used Bluetooth from my 590 to my sena anyway, but always handy to have that 3.5mm socket just in case. (although all the other bloody wires were a pain)

Yes all the wires have gone. The “cat o six tails” from the 590LM is now a “cat o 2 tails.”

The block in the wiring is a step down transformer from 12v to 5v. Some people on the Zumo forum mistook it for a fuse and removed it because there was a fuse in their auxiliary circuit already then the unit wouldn’t charge.

If you do buy one before you do anything, and I mean anything, take the cable out to the bike and see how you want to fit it as it’s a lot easier to fit threading it from the device end of the cable (not the terminals) before you fit all the brackets. The transformer won’t fit through any small gaps so best to thread from the battery end to the head stock. You can fit the bracket at any time. Focus on getting the cable routed correctly with as little work in taking bits off the bike as possible. I’m in the process of making the installation video and it’ll be “do as I say not as I did.”

2 Likes

Your a star :slight_smile:

THank you

Helmet City are selling the with 10% off so ÂŁ387 at the moment.

I was considering getting a custom set of UltimateEars to plug into my Cardo Packtalk Bold.

I want to protect my hearing plus be able to listen to music or take calls.

Did they act as ear plugs too? How was the sound protection from wind etc.?

Ultimate Ear is about as good as it gets isolation wise and they have several models that have built in headphones.

1 Like

For a wireless moulded headset, consider Mercury Hearing ( link removed as it now points to a spam site ) telno is 01444 400 494 ). I bought a set at the 2018 bike show at Excel. Retail £150, they do a discount for blue light workers. They have a two year warranty, but outside of that, it is a maximum of £40 for any repairs, which I think is good. I would point out that I’ve had two repairs within the warranty period and one outside. I would buy from them again.

My initial review is at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dwl2-rh5MI&feature=youtu.be . These first set didn’t pair with my mobile, but they changed them out and that replacement set worked.

I’ve just checked their website, and it’s not working. Their telno is 01444 400 494

That link to mercury hearing takes you to spam pages… I now really regret clicking on it…

I had to check as well, but serrisan is right, dodgy link or website hacked @Aceman I’d suggest removing the link for now…

Done.

Their telno is 01444 400 494. The ogm states their working hours are Monday to Thursday 10am - 4pm.

try this link https://mercuryaudioiems.com

That’s it. They must have changed their website.

Welp, I tried three different sets, and all of them are way too big to comfortably put on/take off the helmet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081RCZ6F9/

My crash helmet comes with built in Bluetooth intercom
But when I use my old crash helmet I use my normal slim headphones
And
There are many versions out there this one was cheap and it works

SZMDLX Bluetooth Receiver, Bluetooth 5.0 Adapter, Portable Bluetooth car AUX Wireless Audio Adapter, Dual Link, Hands-free Calling, A2DP, Car Kits for Home & Car Audio with 3.5 mm Stereo Output https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RHXMLKF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_DFY6EbJT3ZF4N

I’ve got one of those. It’s great. Has a built in microphone too.

@Aceman @Joby you ever considered investing a bit more in a quality pair In Ear Monitors that you can use for isolation on the bike as well as high quality audio off the bike?

I like the look of Ultimate Ears (US company) not to be confused with Ultimate Ear (the UK company we’ve talked about in this thread so far). They offer a high quality IEM that you can plug a usual AUX cable into or swap the cable for a bluetooth adapter:

I’m really into good audio, so investing in both hearing protection and great sound would be a win. But I must have bluetooth off the bike, can’t go back to cables.

However, the company in the UK that do the ear moulds for Ultimate Ears say that they may not fit under helmets comfortably. By the sounds of it you’ve all used headphones with varying comfort. Any thoughts on these?

I’m considering my options just now. I lost a bit of weight and my Etymotic ear buds don’t seem to fit as well. Plus my Ultimate ears are due a replacement as my ear cavity will have change shape. The wiring on those eventually degraded after 5 years too.

Howdy Kyle,

That looks very good and I’m grateful for the advice. Having bought the Freecom 4+ unit, I now really appreciate being able to simply put on the crash helmet and go. The battery life on the Freecom 4+ is very good, and I no longer have to mess around with wires, connections, pocket or clips for Bluetooth units. Simples.

@Jay and I both got kitted out with the Ultimate Hearing Protection SoundEar Pro this morning.

I decided that although I would love to invest a bit more for a great set of IEMs that give Bluetooth and wired connection options in one (e.g UE 5s), I would get motorcycle specific ones to make sure they’re guaranteed to be comfortable under a helmet.

Can’t wait for them to be delivered!

1 Like