why risk it.

Each to there own but i for one got my kids a set of leathers each when they started getting interested in bikes:D

sorry guys I’m normally with the each to their own argument but this is just insanity writ large:w00t: surely the whole concept of parental responsibility has escaped these selfish fools.

Its back to my old argument that we used to need a licence for a dog but any damm fool can have kids.

You can’t judge this particular individual- simply because all that was seen was a guy turn up outside mcdonalds with his kid on the back - no one knows how far they travelled or what speed they were doing - it could have been a two minute ride round the block never exceeding 30 mph - with the guy just wanting to spend some time with his kid before going off on a solo ride that day.

If on the other hand you witnessed them on the motorway doing 90 or razzing round the country lanes then yes that would be shocking.

I also reckon that if they had turned up on a scooter no one would raise an eyebrow - but because it was a gixxer everyone immediately thinks high speed and danger must have been involved - when in fact they might have been doing under 30 mph the whole way.

People are getting indignant here based on zero evidence of anything seriously dodgy going on.

the fella i see on the chopper stayed at 30-35, i gave him some room, he duly waved me past with a nod, i think he was saying thanks for giving him room not being a plonker etc

i see no problem with kids taken on the back, so long as they are dressed approritaely and know the baisic rules, i got hooked for life on bikes by goign on the back as a youngster;)

Normally i’d agree on the “don’t judge” argument, or “each to their own”, etc, but when it comes to kids - who don’t know enough to make thier own choices - I think this guy is a ****.How many tales do we here of “I was just going 1 minute round the corner…” - and no one can argue that even a 30mph drop, bringing tarmac into contact with bare skin, is gonna cause some naqsty road rash, and may lead to scarring.

In any other case, I would never judge anyone on how they live their life, but I still think the bloke is an idiot.

I was a pillion with my dad since i was 6 years old! I could reach the pegs and everything. When i have kids they will definatly be on the back of mine!

When we were kids growing up in the 70’s we were always coming off our bikes (no cycle helmets then) - one of my mates had a horrendous crash going down a really steep hill - I took him home covered in blood and whimpering - I went over the handlebars of my bike and face planted the tarmac - result face covered in blood and scarred for a bit.To be honest - people are far too paranoid these days - it’s like you hardly see kids out roaming about and playing like we used too because everyone is scared that they will come too harm when statistically they are no more likely to come to harm than they were 30 years ago.

Frankly - going down the shops on the bike for a pint of milk and a newspaper fully leathered up to the nines looks ridiculous and is total overkill - leather jacket and jeans does the job.

People need to chill out a bit and rediscover their bottle - otherwise you are not going to enjoy life.

I agree with much of what you say, I remember those days too but when I was that young I wasn’t riding on motorbikes on the road amongst traffic as we have today, things have changed. I uesed to ride a bicycle all over Kent when I was 10, fell off many times but that’s very different from a busy main road these days on a motorbike.The kid should have proper fitting kit which will protect him in the event of an incident - when he’s old enough to understand the risks and make a proper judgement about how he wants to approach those risks, he can choose to wear a t-shirt or leathers, but in the meantime he should be fitted with the proper kit.

It might sound a bit stupid, but I would be inclined to think of the paramedics that have to clean up after a bike accident! Surely it must be horrible to pick up the pieces of a normal accident, but if there’s a seriously injured child aswell… I dont think i would like to have to put a paramedic or a doctor through that to be honest!

the kid eating mcdonalds is also a worry :slight_smile:

Yeah - and don’t put ham in their lunchbox sandwiches as it will mean they will contract bowel cancer in later life. . . :stuck_out_tongue:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8202188.stm

In fact - if you see a kid riding on the back of a motorbike in ordinary clothes eating a ham sandwich - call the social services. . . :hehe:

hahahahaha, that one tickled me!

Not me

i was referring to the ham comment not the riding comment :w00t:

Can’t see what all the fuss is about really. In fact, if he was any sort of a real Dad he woulda let the little blighter drive!