Why is Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Christmas message on UK TV?

I just don’t get it…I didn’t watch it this year but, in view of some of the comments he has made in the past , why would I ??

Ross and Brand were kicked off for offending and I , for one , find this guy far more offensive than they have ever been…

Why give him another soapbox to rant from??

I think C4 went to far with this, for one hes a muslim and doesnt celebrate christmas, so why lordy! is he doing a christmas speech it`s all wrong.
I would like to C4 to tell us why they did it.

Having him do a speech is totally irrelevant to Christmas in my opinion.
Due to comments made by this gentleman in the past C4 are being investigated, and rightly so i feel,

I have just written a complaint to Channel 4 about it.

Wasn’t their alternative xmas speech done by a girl in a burkha a few years agoa as well?

Yes…totally barking…

It’s just C4 trying to make out that they are the alternative and ground breaking channel (that they were) twenty years ago - In recent years they’ve buckled to commercial pressure and hardly put on anything that is challenging or genuinely provocative anymore but are just going after ratings like everyone else. The fact that people are getting wound up by this will be music to their ears.

As for Ahmedinijad - he is just a stupid populist bigot and a religious nut who has been allowed to occupy his position by the Ayatollahs (who are the real power in Iran) to mollify the more reactionary and less progressive elements of Iranian society. He has no real power and if he attempted to act on the stuff he says the Ayatollahs would kick his legs out from under him in five seconds flat - as the last thing they want is a war which could result in the end of their regime and set Iran back 20 years strategically.

As for whether C4 should show this stuff - you should be proud to live in a country where a terrestrial broadcaster can do something like this. If you lived in a country where the broadcaster was too scared to air the views of ‘the other side’ then you would be living in. . . er. . .Iran :stuck_out_tongue: .

Bush and Blair tells us that they are fighting for freedom - well all C4 is doing is exercising that freedom.

The whole point of the Channel 4 Christmas message is to make the viewer think by exposing them to alternative views. Have any of the complainers actually seen the message? You might not like the speaker, and you might think he has a variety of motives, but the message isn’t about Iran or Islam, it is about Christ and the West. Although I am an aethiest, I thought it was a very powerful message.

Forget who said it, and just read it, you don’t have to agree with it, but I can’t see why anyone without a book burning habit would think it worth banning -

"In the Name of God the Compassionate, the Merciful.

Upon the anniversary of the birth of Jesus, Son of Mary, the Word of God, the Messenger of mercy, I would like to congratulate the followers of Abrahamic faiths, especially the followers of Jesus Christ, and the people of Britain.

The Almighty created the universe for human beings and human beings for Himself.

He created every human being with the ability to reach the heights of perfection. He called on man to make every effort to live a good life in this world and to work to achieve his everlasting life.

On this difficult and challenging journey of man from dust to the divine, He did not leave humanity to its own devices. He chose from those He created the most excellent as His Prophets to guide humanity.

All Prophets called for the worship of God, for love and brotherhood, for the establishment of justice and for love in human society. Jesus, the Son of Mary, is the standard-bearer of justice, of love for our fellow human beings, of the fight against tyranny, discrimination and injustice.

All the problems that have bedevilled humanity throughout the ages came about because humanity followed an evil path and disregarded the message of the Prophets.

Now as human society faces a myriad of problems and a succession of complex crises, the root causes can be found in humanity’s rejection of that message, in particular the indifference of some governments and powers towards the teachings of the divine Prophets, especially those of Jesus Christ.

The crises in society, the family, morality, politics, security and the economy which have made life hard for humanity and continue to put great pressure on all nations have come about because the Prophets have been forgotten, the Almighty has been forgotten and some leaders are estranged from God.

If Christ were on earth today, undoubtedly He would stand with the people in opposition to bullying, ill-tempered and expansionist powers.

If Christ were on earth today, undoubtedly He would hoist the banner of justice and love for humanity to oppose warmongers, occupiers, terrorists and bullies the world over.

If Christ were on earth today, undoubtedly He would fight against the tyrannical policies of prevailing global economic and political systems, as He did in His lifetime. The solution to today’s problems is a return to the call of the divine Prophets. The solution to these crises is to follow the Prophets - they were sent by the Almighty for the good of humanity.

Today, the general will of nations is calling for fundamental change. This is now taking place. Demands for change, demands for transformation, demands for a return to human values are fast becoming the foremost demands of the nations of the world. The response to these demands must be real and true. The prerequisite to this change is a change in goals, intentions and directions. If tyrannical goals are repackaged in an attractive and deceptive package and imposed on nations again, the people, awakened, will stand up against them.

Fortunately, today, as crises and despair multiply, a wave of hope is gathering momentum. Hope for a brighter future and hope for the establishment of justice, hope for real peace, hope for finding virtuous and pious rulers who love the people and want to serve them – and this is what the Almighty has promised.

We believe, Jesus Christ will return, together with one of the children of the revered Messenger of Islam and will lead the world to love, brotherhood and justice. The responsibility of all followers of Christ and Abrahamic faiths is to prepare the way for the fulfilment of this divine promise and the arrival of that joyful, shining and wonderful age. I hope that the collective will of nations will unite in the not too distant future and with the grace of the Almighty Lord, that shining age will come to rule the earth.

Once again, I congratulate one and all on the anniversary of the birth of Jesus Christ. I pray for the New Year to be a year of happiness, prosperity, peace and brotherhood for humanity. I wish you every success and happiness."

I no longer live in the UK but was very far from proud of some of the “freedoms” granted to some people.Saying he has no power is all well and good but he is on UK TV…Why? He doesn’t have to act on what he says…all he has to do is wind a few (or even one) people up enough to take action and damage is done.There is just too much freedom in the UK for this sort of cr4p and not enough for some far less damaging.PC gone mad;)As to C4 going for rating…I’d be interested to know how many tuned in to the broadcast and why…

Nevertheless, he is the mouthpiece for a regime that still hangs alleged gays from cranes for public delectation. It is all well him denouncing terrorism, but he fronts a country that sponsors worldwide terrorism allowing Syria to pass arms and terrorists through her borders.

Who do you mean by the ‘some people’ who have been ‘granted’ freedoms - a bit of clarification would help :wink: . And freedoms aren’t ‘granted’ from on high - they are fought for - often from down below - by heroes like Tom Paine - who risked getting hung by the government of the day for publishing influential pamphlets like ‘The Rights of Man’ so that we can enjoy freedoms today that we (unfortunately) take for granted.Glad your happy in Spain Whisler mate - although it sounds like your still missing Franco! :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: .

I hear what you’re saying Brigsy - and I agree completely - but it shouldn’t be forgotten that the UK played a big part in making Iran the country it is today - back in 1953 the Iranians elected a democratic leader called Mossadeq who wanted to turn Iran into a modern democratic country which didn’t hang gays or cover women up in sheets - in order to put the country on a sound financial footing he wanted to nationalise the Iranian oil industry (which was owned by British Petroleum) - BP didn’t like the sound of this - and in combination with the British govt. and MI6 organised the coup which ended Mossadeq’s democratically elected govt. and installed the more favourable (to British interests) monarchy headed by the Shah - which proceeded to set back the social and economic progress that Mossadeq set in train - the Shah went on to destroy what was left of the progressive democratic opposition elements in Iran - the Iranian masses - frustrated by the lack of social and economic progress engendered by this backward and foreign imposed regime and having no democratic modern opposition to articulate their discontent fell back on the religious establishment (the ayatollahs) - hence we get the Iranian revolution and the current situation.

Iran could have become a modern democratic country and friend of the west - if these efforts hadn’t been scuppered by foreign powers - this is why the Iranians today are so suspicious of the west and foreign influence and have fallen back on traditional culture and attitudes - as historically their experience has been a largely negative one.

We should also remember that Iranians can’t really speak out against the government in their own country so the levels of discontent can’t really be measured abroad.

I have met quite a few Iranians and have found them charming, very well educated and thoroughly engaging people. I believe Iran to be a beautiful country and hope that I can visit one day.

Also agree that we should celebrate our freedoms by allowing people like this to have their say. I may disagree but that is also my right. If there are any topics or opinions that should not be voiced publicly is a whole new debate. ie Should people be allowed to speak their views and groom easily led young men to Jihad openly or work underground via voip calls from abroad? I haven’t really got the answer to that one…

(1) Saving that for another thread;):)(2) :w00t::D:D:D:D;)

I totally agree mate - Iran is an amazing country culturally - it has thousands of years of history - a lot of religious and cultural (including concepts of kinship and court etiquette) concepts which have shaped western civilisation originated in Iran and came to the west via the Greeks and Christianity (e.g. the middle eastern culture which produced Judaism and then Christianity was heavily influenced by the regions then military and cultural super power - which was Persia/Iran).

I think that the reason that countrys like Iraq and Iran and Afghanistan have gone tits up and are in the mess they are in today is that the cold war was largely fought in these areas as a series of proxy wars:

the Arab Israeli conflict - e.g. U.S. backed Israel against Soviet backed Arabs.

Afghanistan - Soviet backed govt which incidentally wanted to get women out of Burkas and into the modern world - opposed by U.S. backed Islamic fundamentalists - the forerunners of the Taliban!)

The reason the ‘cold’ war was fought as a ‘hot’ war in these area was (obviously) because of the strategic importance of the regions oil reserves and because fighting the war in it’s natural arena (western Europe) would have resulted in nuclear armageddon.

The United states, U.K. and Soviet manipulation of the political processes of these countries in the cold war era distorted their political development and engendered totalitarian one party regimes like Saddam’s Iraq and Assad’s Syria - e.g. there is strong evidence that the C.I.A. supplied Saddam with intelligence that enabled him to wipe out Iraqi opposition elements (such as the Iraqi Communist party which was seen as a threat by the U.S. in the context of cold war politics) - consequently any possibility of political plurality in Iraq - with left wing elements acting as a counter-weight and check on the emergence of tyrants like Saddam was snuffed out.

On the question of free speech - I reckon anything goes so long as it is not promoting hate.

:P:P:D:D:D:D:D

I certainly would not have posted what he said if he had.

Thanks for posting it G - it helped to clarify the issue. :slight_smile:

I missed this discussion, bugger, love this kind of thing. he is a very odd man indeed and i have to say typical of his breed. He has to live in a country where Islamic extremists and christians are on the brink of civil war…he has to try and build the countries infrastructure afters years of demise…he has so many tasks, etc. seems a decent man doesnt he…

Sorry but I doubt he wrote that speech, i doubt he believes and will honour those words and I seriously doubt he is trying to bring peace to humanity.

He has publicly said he hates jews, the west, America and the UK in particular…(although cant imagine why he would hate the UK)…

I cannot express my belief more strongly, it is essential we hear what these people are saying, we must not deny them a platform…

Provocation of thought is a good thing imo. I agree with Sid Throttle, it’s one of those things where it may cause discussion or offence, but if we didn’t have the ability to air stuff like this then we’d be one of those countries that we end up feeling sorry for because their people don’t have freedom of expression.