Why do they call them Brits?

I hate having to declare my nationality as British…I’m British by birth, but English by the grace of God :smiley:

<lights blue touchpaper and retreats to a safe distance>

Hm, I’m the other way round. I’d far sooner say I’m ‘British’ than ‘English’.

I’m Cornish…:w00t:

Im an alien from the planet Zog.

I was born in England, Have a Scottish name my mum is English and my Dad is Irish. I think British is the best descripion for me.

I do wonder if some of my nephews will have an identity crisis, they are Anglo/Irish on my sisters side (obviously) and Franco German on their fathers side and were born and raised in Belgium…:blink:

I live with two people from Ireland, I’m using that term loosely for geography, and as Steve has pointed out they are both distinctly Irish but from there own parts of the island. If I ask one where she’s from she says Ireland and if I ask the other he says Northern Ireland, I think they both refer to themselves as being Irish but that’s more to do with it being less complicated and requires no further explanantion, particularly in London and for those people either uninterested or unable to grasp what Steve is excplaining.

Funny, reading this has made me think to make the effort to ask them about their background more, beyond the usual pleasantries and general chit chat.

Personally I consider myself both English and British but don’t mind being referred to as either, although I’m not really passionate about any of this type of stuff, except when I’m cheering on Shakey, Leon, JT etc etc… :smiley:

Ill be able to tell ya allot about the norn irish one purely by his name and what part hes from :wink:

Like you did say though, i gave up a long time ago arguing the sod to ignorant people, and generally dont bat an eyelid to the irish jokes etc, because its quite funny really- People say the irish jokes thinking theyre having a go at winding me up, when as far as im concerned, im not even irish, so its them that looks stupid :stuck_out_tongue:

In fact, speaking of being patriotic, its coming up to that time of the year in Northern Ireland people…

and as i cant be home to celebrate, i look forward to the 12th July here:

:smiley:

It’s a cliche - but if the planet was suddenly threatened by a hideous looking race of extra-terrestrials I reckon we’d all forget our differences pretty sharpish to fight them - in comparison to this alien enemy we’d all realise how similar we essentially are.

Unless the extra terrestrials were clever enough to exploit our differences and conquer through a policy of divide and rule - in which case we’d be f*cked.

yes as far as i am concerned they all go under the great britain flag prob because if they stayed where they lived they really prob would not learn much.But in the case of andy the wnker murray he is scottish and he has told us that so he can go and fck himself

I’m British by birth, but English by the grace of God :smiley:

i’m english all the way and never declare as british, if it does not have the choice on a form i write it on, lol

I would suggest switching the tennis off. Problem solved… with no power on the telly, they don’t call them anything and your conundrum disappears…

A technical point which can be important in a court of law - whilst the British Isles includes Ireland, Great Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales only which is why the proper and full title of the country we live in is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Legislation will always state where it applies and will say United Kingdom, Great Britain, England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, or “England and Wales”.

Well I was born in the Highlands of Scotland, up there we’re very very proud of our heritage and will usually go a bit too far in defending it but at the same time I have lost Family fighting under the Union Flag and I very proudly call myself British. I even wear a little union flag on my uniform.

I think individually you should all be very proud of where you come from and yes we can all say things at times that are bad about each other (N.I./Wales/England/Scotland) that can cause grief but let anyone try and attack any one of those countries and I know for a fact that the other 3 will be right with them.

Where it comes to Criminal Law England and Wales are very different to Scotland apart from a few pieces of Legislation.

Coming from Cornwall, also fiercely proud of our heritage/culture etc and can fully identify and agree with the above (although not lost anyone under the Union Flag). We all should be proud of where we come from but not so far as to alienate each other because of it.:slight_smile:

My nationality is Scouser.

:w00t: wasnt ment to be that deeper post really but i love what you did with it… lol :w00t:

translated: thank you for wrecking a perfectly simle question… :stuck_out_tongue:

you calling me simple???:blink:

i think you’ll find i called you simle… lol :wink: