Why are plastics riders so snobbish?

So there I am on my little XV535, cruising along, nodding at all and sundry (from L-plates to massive sports bikes) and one or two of them nod back but most of them just ignore me. Fair Nuff I think, that’s pretty standard, usual level of response.

Today I take the GPZ500S out for a spin, just to make sure it still works (you know how it is) and I’m nearly bowled over by the nods I get - abso-bloody-lutely every bike nods at me (yes, even the cruisers). Same black leathers so it can’t be that, same general twitch of head in other bike’s direction, so it can’t be that. Must be just cos I’m on a rice rocket.

So why don’t you plastics riders nod at me when I’m on the cruiser?

(I really felt like yelling “I’m a cruiser rider!” at them to see if they’d stop nodding, but they wouldn’t have been able to hear me and I would have deafened myself inside my helmet…)

We’re not all like that

who said that

Plastics riders are normally travelling too fast to take their hands off the bars! I’m guilty of snobbery too - I only give the “Adolf Wave” to other BMW riders.

I find the once a year power ranger is snobby and if you haven`t got a superbike your nothing.

That about sums it up Why are we snobbish? Because we can be…haha. Just joking. or not.

At least you don’t get chavettes trying to flash at you when you ride by. When I get close up and they see it is actually a girl on a bike who does not give a rat’s bottom about seeing their body parts, their eyes nearly pop out!

If I had to nod at everyone on two wheels I would get a brain haemmorage worse than listening to Il Divo. P.S. Anyone going to Aerosmith’s concert in Hyde Park ?

Plastics riders snobbish?

Perhaps its because they seem to be a stereotyped tribe according to your post. Birds of a feather and all that.

Same as all car (‘cage’) drivers are potentially biker murdering scumbags apparently. And all smokers are inconsiderate baskets, and all Brazilians are sweat shop couriers with no respect, and so on and so on.

The amount of whinging and stereotyping on here sometimes really staggers me.

I’m not looking to attack you as you are all no doubt good people as is readily apparent from other posts and the community aspects of this site it’s just that sweeping statements really get my goat…

Live and let live. If someone doesn’t give you a nod then in real terms it doesn’t mean anything. I for one don’t require a positive affirmation from every other biker…

It’s hardly my post that has people stereo-typed, more like the people who don’t acknowledge me unless I’m on the “right” kind of bike that display their own version of stereo-typing.

Like I said I greet anyone (not fussy, me, we’re all bikers whatever we ride) but I was very surprised at the massive change in response when I was on a different bike, cos I really wasn’t expecting it to be so noticeable. I’m still the same person, whatever I’m on. Same as the biker who went into a pub one lunchtime wearing his work suit and was served but when he went back in that evening in his leather jacket was refused. He’s still the same person, i’n’t he?

But I’m chilled, the weather’s supposed to be nice this weekend (ish) and I’ll be going out to play on my bike, and I’ve started a new job, and I’ve got an interview lined up for the next one, and I started my day in a very pleasant way today so if other bikers don’t wish to acknowledge me, that’s up to them.

Dont worry Choccie, I will wave/nod next time I see you

me thinks its cos there so worried about wat they look like they dernt move just incase they crack!!!and lose the pose!!! lol!!!

I agree …i have had quite a few sports bikes … R6 , CBR RR , ect

now on a duke monster for a change only get nod from a few …

its sucks lol put me back on a sports bike and ill be kicking their ass again lol

The amount of whinging and stereotyping on here sometimes really staggers me.

I’m not looking to attack you as you are all no doubt good people as is readily apparent from other posts and the community aspects of this site it’s just that sweeping statements really get my goat…

Live and let live. If someone doesn’t give you a nod then in real terms it doesn’t mean anything. I for one don’t require a positive affirmation from every other biker…

If we live and let live as you say, surely we have to let people whinge and stereotype to or we dont have a fairly free forum, it will be sorta boring? But i also agree with you that you dont HAVE to have a biker nod at you…just that sometimes its nice …

bovered , does my face look bovered

Here here I agree.

Let’s insult everybody -

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don’t Wave Back

1. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
  2. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
  3. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
  4. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
  5. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
  6. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
  7. Just discovered the fine print in owner’s manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
  8. Can’t tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
  9. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
  10. They’re too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don’t Wave Back

1. Wasn’t sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
  2. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
  3. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
  4. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
  5. The espresso machine just finished.
  6. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
  7. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
  8. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
  9. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.
  10. Couldn’t find the “auto wave back” button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sportbikers Don’t Wave:

1. They have not been riding long enough to know they’re supposed to.
  2. They’re going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
  3. You weren’t wearing bright enough gear.
  4. If they stick their arm out going that fast they’ll rip it out of the socket.
  5. They’re too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
  6. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don’t want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
  7. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
  8. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
  9. It’s too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
  10. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don’t Wave Back
10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered “bad form.”
8. Your bike isn’t weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock “comfort” seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod, XM, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He’s an Iron Butt rider and you’re not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You’re not riding the “right kind” of BMW.
2. You haven’t been properly introduced.

1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

I took the new bike out on a long run yesterday. Almost every single biker nodded at me.

On the old bike they gave me a funny look of a mixture of pity, scorn and fear.

It’s such a noticeable difference.

D’ya know, I think I’ve figured it out?

I was out at the weekend and so was the sun, and just about every rider I saw nodded, waved and generally looked happy to be about, so I reckon…

it’s not to do with the bike I was riding but that the weather was nicer when I was on the GPZ!!!

Solved!

(Even got a wave from an Aprillia that overtook me on the way home this evening! Well from the bloke wot was riding it of course…)

I think you could be wrong…this pic proves that people wave even when its snowing…although it is Mr S.

i’ve grown up with bikes and have always nooded to say hi but i hardly ever get a nood back

oh well i wont stop its nice to say hi to fellow bikers as we pass by.

When I ride the ped, nobody nods at me