Where to sell a bike

Hi, I wanted to see if anybody had any recommendations on either working with someone on doing a consignment sale or if there was any other great place to sell a bike than gumtree. I do like to use gumtree and have used these types of sites a lot (craigslist in the US), but I’d love to get my bike sold. I’ll be traveling for 3 weeks in July so it would be great to leave the bike with someone while I’m away in hopes of getting it sold.

Robert

I guess other than gumtree your options are eBay (you can do a classified as for 15 a month), autotrader or mcn? Alternatively you could find Facebook groups but I can’t help with that.

However I would feel weird about buying a bike from someone who isn’t the owner. I just can’t think I would trust an ad that said ‘selling on behalf of my mate’ or ‘bike will be stored at mate’s’

That would be quite odd, but if it was a local shop that did consignment work in addition to selling bikes. That is what I had in mind at least

Ah right sorry didn’t read that too carefully…

Used bike shops often sell people’s bikes on a sale or return basis, so it’s probably worth asking them

Used them before and whilst they took a fee it got sold without the hassles

http://www.themotorbikemanlondon.co.uk 

If have only sold bikes and cars on eBay.  I’ve tried Autotrader, Gumtree, and Craigslist, and MCN, nothing ever sold, just lots of people starting emails: I’m out of the country…

Bike trader or MCN :wink:

ebay has worked for me

Ask around with your local dealers / independent bike shops to see if any of them do sale - or - return for a fee and check where they advertise as well. I don’t know where you’re based, but Swallows in South Harrow do this.

Sold my old CB500 on Ebay. I set a really high reserve which it didn’t meet then the top bidder made me an offer. Worked out pretty well.

I’ve always had good luck on auto trader and not so much on eBay. But I think it’s just that; luck. Both platforms are good - I tried gumtree and got inundated with spam

http://londonbikers.com

Sold my old CB500 on Ebay. I set a really high reserve which it didn't meet then the top bidder made me an offer. Worked out pretty well. Joby
That old eBay chestnut ;-)