Where the hell is the indicator relay on a Zephyr?

As the topic suggests, my indicators have stopped working. I suspect the relay is either faulty or the plug has fallen off, but I can’t find it! Anyone have any ideas? Of course, if something else common goes wrong on these to make the indicators stop working let me know!

May not be the same as my 1100 but my relay is directly behind the left hand side panel, small black box with 3 wires. the + v supply comes via the main fuse only thro the ign switch. you will need to check if you also have the _v present at the relay .
If you have this check the common feed to the switch tho i doubt it will be there as it would mean the switch has gone down on both left and right sides.

May not be the same as my 1100 but my relay is directly behind the left hand side panel, small black box with 3 wires. the + v supply comes via the main fuse only thro the ign switch. you will need to check if you also have the _v present at the relay .
If you have this check the common feed to the switch tho i doubt it will be there as it would mean the switch has gone down on both left and right sides.

Hmm, I suspected it might be that but thought that was something to do with the ignition. This is what I came to the conclusion the indicator relay looked like:

http://motorcycleproducts.co.uk/catalogue/indicator-relay-kawasaki-zr400-c14-198992-p-122224.html?osCsid=f5fc14337c0829d771689cbcb10ffe52

Will check the relay under the left panel again though, cheers.

Relays come in variouse shapes and sizes, the easiest way to identify any component is by checking the wiring colours with a schematic. you are welcome to a copy of the diagram from my workshop manual if you dont have one but as i say there are prob some differences as i believe your zephyr is the 750.

Relays come in variouse shapes and sizes, the easiest way to identify any component is by checking the wiring colours with a schematic. you are welcome to a copy of the diagram from my workshop manual if you dont have one but as i say there are prob some differences as i believe your zephyr is the 750.

How many relays was that?;):stuck_out_tongue:

Ok I’ve got it - you were right, it was the one on the left, I was looking at the connector which has three pins, but only two actually connect!

Having read up on it, it seems any old indicator relay will work, so unless anyone foresees any serious problems I am going to go to the scrap yard tomorrow and get something…the only thing that slightly worries me is the third wire…why is it there if it’s not connected?

Thanks,
Alex.

It needs 3 connections, +v and -v to the relay and a +v from the relay to the switch .

Now I’m even more confused, as the original only has 2 pins (but 3 wires in the connector block)

Could you possibly post or email the wiring diagram please?

Does the original relay get its -v direct from the frame and its come loose from its original location ?
i dont have a printer or scanner at the mo but may sort out something tomorow evening if you need it, aren’t you in ealing ?so are we , i will pm you tomorrow.

I’m not sure but I don’t think so - it’s a 3 pin connector but 2 pins on the relay - I don’t think there’s any chance the 3rd pin can contact, which makes me wonder why it’s there.

Just been out bridging various pins with a paperclip to try and get the bulbs on full time, but no luck so far.

Thanks for the offer, I should be able to get a look at my Haynes manual tomorrow but will let you know if I am still having problems! (thinking of nicking your relay to see if that fixes it! - then I could be sure of the problem! :P)

If you want new indicators, come back to the shop, we have lot’s of em (some on sale!)

Good luck with the mirrors as well :wink:

That was quite worrying for a second - I guess you’re the guy I spoke to in Infinity? :smiley:

I got some ER-5 mirrors in the end…don’t think I need indicators, although I lack the equipment to test them at home. Will go to my dad’s garage tomorrow and hopefully solve it!

Fixed.

If you can believe it, it was a combination of the relay getting rotated 90 degrees (because there are 3 sockets and 2 pins and it looks right when installed wrong) and TWO bulbs not contacting (one on each side). When the relay was right we had front left and then rear right lights on all the time - there wasn’t enough draw on the circuit to open the relay. Because the bulbs were a little worn and weren’t making a contact, we stuck some solder on the end and a short while later, working indicators!