What's the best method / product to get paint off a petrol tank?

I need to find out what sort of “paint strippers”/chemicals exist that can be used to strip the paint from a petrol tank so I can respray it…

I know with paint in houses you get the stuff you paint on, leave it for a bit then the gloss, matt or whatever is really easy to scrape off, but does such a product exist for vehicle paint work? Paint on stripper?

I know pro’s would obviously dunk the tank in a stripping bath of whatever you’d use, but I don’t have those facilities, so can anyone tell me what I can use or point me in the direction of what’s out there that would do what I need?

Ta in advance.

Nitromors should do the trick. :slight_smile:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_181000_langId_-1_categoryId_165495

Try a blowlamp and sharp scraper, Hamiltons are the best.:smiley:

Brake fluid? Worked a treat when I dribbled it down my wing…

Ta.

that’s pretty much it really… :slight_smile:

What are you? Some kind of flying insect?

Don’t use Nitromors or stuff like it Tobe if its a steel tank.

Reason i say that is the stuff gets into the tiny fiscures in the welds and over time and when it warms up will leach out and ruin your new paint job. Even if you carefully rinse it, the bastard stuff will bite ya:crying:

Blast it.

PETROL TANK BLOWLAMP BOOOOOOOOOM:w00t:

SAND PAPPER PRIMER FINESANDPAPPER MORE PRIMER FINE SAND IT

THEN WARM THE TANK UP HAIRDRYER GOOD THEN SPRAY NEXT DAY

T-CUT T-CUT T-CUT THEN POLISH THEN :D:D:DNICE

No need to strip existing, paint over old :stuck_out_tongue:

+1 Just try 800 grit and below to rough up the surface to help new paint adhere and ensure surface is smooth.

you guys do realise we’re talking vintage 2000 ZX-9R blue here…

I mean real collectors item stuff here right… you don’t just “paint over it” you philistines… you need to stroke it, and love it and care for it…

Um… sorry is this bike lovers anonymous… or am I in the wrong room again! :slight_smile:

Do those words even belong together!?!?!?!?!

i hear hanna’s good with this sort of thing maby she could bring her hammer and mole grips :slight_smile:

if this is your first time preping and painting i would go and buy the cheapest fuel tank money could buy and have a little practice run first…my two cents

YUP!
That Haynes Manual thing Cracked me up… so damm true… every word of it! :slight_smile:

I’d paint over.

Never strip back to bare metal unless you have all the right kit. (Grit blaster, bead blaster, spray booth, baking tent just as starters.)

Just keep rubbing down using fine/ultra fine grit wet and dry paper 'til all the paint has gone and your left with just undercoat/primer and the odd bit of bare metal.

Then work back with primer, undercoat, flatten, undercoat, flatten, undercoat, etc. After you are very, very bored, you might try some top coat(s)

Always thought you were one, but was too polite to say

A cat lover ofcourse :wink: