What won't get nicked?

I’ve not been riding for a few weeks due to labarynthitis (vertigo/dizziness) and after the bike being stuck at the office for a couple of weeks I felt well enough last week to bring the bike back to my house. Anyway, I’ve not ridden it since so it’s sat outside the house for a week and I discovered on Sunday that at some point, scrotes have cut my rear brake disc to get the disc lock off, snapped the steering lock off the top yoke and started to grind the front disc to get that lock off. I guess they were interrupted so didn’t finish the job. I’ve started to order replacement parts and put extra locks on to help secure it while I fix it.

The current bike is a GSXR750 (which I love), but I’m thinking perhaps I go for something less desirable while I only have on-street parking. In fairness this bike has been parked there for 6 months with no incident up to now, but it’s certainly on my mind. I’m in a bit of a quandary about what to go for. I quite like the idea of getting a Triumph Scrambler or Bonnie for something a bit different, but I’m really not sure how many of them get nicked by youths? I’ve never seen any footage of scrotes hooning around 2-up on a bonnie that’s for sure…

Open to thoughts/suggestions!

To be honest, anything can get nicked. It’s difficult to answer how likely a particular model is to nick as it may be that a particular model hasn’t sold very well or that it’s typically bought by a particular type of people… and that type of people might be the type that have garages…

The safest option, in my view, is something older, tatty and underpowered - I think the age of the bike is much more important than what it is. So an old CB500 / 600 or the like… And, of course, keeping it covered might help as it just complicates things for thieves, especially if they’re scouting for bikes. I used to think the big Adventure bikes were safer because of weight but they are also superexpensive pieces of kit

I used to park my (relatively new at the time) GSR600 in Angel for 6-7months on the street (and then later on the estate I lived) and luckily it never got nicked. But I would chain it up, put a cover on and disclock it in place. This was back in 2010-11 - maybe I was naive at the time but bike thefts didn’t feel as much of an issue…

CBF1000 could be worth a look. Fireblade engine and not as desirable to the thieving element. You could also put six alarmed Zenas on your bike and see if that is a better deterrent. They don’t like anything that takes up too much time.

CB500, ER5

That’s cause bike thefts weren’t that much an issue back then.

I agree with Serrisan, age of bike probably correlates to the likelihood of it being stolen.

That’s why I’m going towards something like a Bonnie that the kids won’t want to be seen on.Plus they’ll have a harder time trying to outrun the cops on it! I’ve been looking at all the aftermarket parts to see how cool I can make one look… this could all end in tears…

I’m going to weigh in with a GPZ500 as I loved mine when I had it. Bullet proof as well.

don’t forget emissions though if you’re going to be commuting into London

That's why I'm going towards something like a Bonnie that the kids won't want to be seen on.Plus they'll have a harder time trying to outrun the cops on it! I've been looking at all the aftermarket parts to see how cool I can make one look.... this could all end in tears...
AlexT
Remember - if it looks cool, they'll nick it to sell for parts or to be shipped abroad. 

Funny, I’m also considering a commuter that I can park on the street with relative peace of mind and I was also leaning towards the street scrambler. However, if I start blinging it up and become attached to it, then I would get very annoyed if it gets stolen, which is why I’m keen on something like the mutt 250. It is not as valuable as the triumph and hopefully less appealing to thieves. I would still put an alarmed disc lock and cover, but probably wouldn’t bother with a tracker. A bonnie is also appealing, perhaps an older model with carb. I’ve had a few scary moments with my current bike (bought new in 2016) which is putting me off from using it much in town. Oh, the joys of riding in London!

I’ve recently acquired a gsx650f - I recon it’ll be less desirable than your gixxer- time will tell but it’s a fun all rounder bike, it is heavy but I find that adds to its enjoyment. Planted on motorways and with some practice flicks perfectly fine through traffic.

I’m lucky to live somewhere with low crime (Guildford) and commute to London with secured parking. - I did have an er6f when I lived in new cross, se London and sometimes never chained it and no scrotes seemed interested in that either.

I’d go for a sports/commuter style. Always been my favourite.

Oh and I got my 2008 (ulez compliant) gsx650f for £1580

Cheap & chinese sounds like a good approach. 

Consider a Harley.

Consider a Harley.
Aceman
I'd like to retain some dignity.

Whatever it is, make sure you enjoy riding it.  Blandit in pink should do.

Consider a Harley.
Aceman
Hey  don't diss a Harley GRRRRR face!

Fastest way to convert petrol to noise, without involving speed

I wish I had come up with that line, I’ve just shamelessly stolen it by a fellow, trusted LBer…

Sorry Dizz, you’ve opened yourself to this now…  :slight_smile:

I knew it as “Harley Davidson - the most efficient way to convert fuel into sound without any side effects of power”

Actually not all Harley’s are noisy mine sounds abit like an old singer sewing machine Sadly!!! LOL!

None of you are selling this idea…