What was up with the A40 this morning?

Eastbound, no traffic at all at Hangar Lane, not just light traffic but none. I started wondering had I got the day wrong, was it Saturday.

Then one ‘fender bender’ shunt with police attending closed a lane at the Big Yellow Storage junction. Much traffic there.

Next there was a cyclist on the elevated section at White City - what on earth was she doing?

Then another crash which closed both lanes on the elevated section nearing Euston Road. There was an ambulance in attendance, a bike on the floor and parked SUV. There didn’t seem to be any urgency about the police nor ambulance crew - I hope it wasn’t bad news for the biker.

As the weather keeps getting better, there seems to be more cyclists braving the A40. Saw 2 just this week. One on the flyover at night. And one in the hanger lane tunnel today. A truck had to swerve into my lane just to avoid him. Clueless muppets…

Got a friend at my house who said he heard a traffic report on the radio saying there was an accident in which a motocyclist hit a lamp post.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/news/west-london-news/northolt-a40-reopened-diversions-place-11452854

Why is the driver swerving? If they were scanning the road ahead and properly observing they would have seen the cyclist and made proper adjustments, either slow down or change lanes ahead of time.

I read motorcyclist aged 46 hit a lamp post at 4.46am on 10 June.
He has been seriously injured, hope he recovers well.

04:46 am? The incident I saw with the biker must have happened shortly before I saw it, that was around 08:00. Maybe it was different incident.

Why is the driver swerving? If they were scanning the road ahead and properly observing they would have seen the cyclist and made proper adjustments, either slow down or change lanes ahead of time.

Hold Da Kæft
Well, same as with cars not expecting motorcyclists filtering between lanes, it's unsurprising for them not to expect a cyclist hugging (a barely lit) tunnel wall on a40. Not to mention, it wasn't an empty road, there were cars in front of the truck that would have obscured the cyclist even further. Unlike the truck, though, the cars (due to their comparably smaller size) were simply overtaking the cyclist in their own lane, so he must have been hidden until the last moment. I don't blame the truck driver, I am constantly scanning the road up and down, and even for me it took a few moments to make out the cyclist from the tunnel wall.

I’ve seen at least 2 cyclists going down the initial stretch of the M4 motorway past few weeks, these idiots are a hazard to the road and cause cars to unnecessarily swerve into the other lane “to keep space”. Really annoying to hear cyclists going on the A40 flyover - are they even allowed on there?

They will be soon when half of one carriage way becomes a cycle super highway …

A40

https://goo.gl/maps/juYYyHrFiLC2

According to Get West London News, which is where I have gained the information. I was only quoting was not there to see with my own eyes.

A40

https://goo.gl/maps/juYYyHrFiLC2

TimR
that's what i thought...
are they even allowed on there?
Certainly not.

Although perversely cyclists are allowed on some parts of the A3 which is 70 mph. You would want your head tested if you were to cycle there.

But then again you get the people who just greatly ignore these style signs so any difference

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg