What type of bike(s)....

My riding is mainly two fold…a daily 6 mile each way on relatively empty roads, and a weekend blast if the weather is nice.

Drive a midrange 600 which does the blast perfectly (am newish to riding) but I am worried on a couple of points.

So first question - is doing a daily 6 mile drive harming the engine?

Next up - I found the winter driving not much fun…icy roads and it was very cold. Could get heated grips, but am thinking of an offroad type bike for the commute (especially winter) which I hope would be easier to ride and more stable on the icy mornings. Lighter too. This would be as well as the midrange, so wouldn’t need to do more than regular short journeys. Any thoughts? These more likely to like short journeys?

Last up - was mulling a quad bike for the short commute - plus I could actually do a proper shop…anyone ever had one? What about servicing / insurance?

Oh yeah - can’t afford more than say 1500 for offroad / quad.

Any thoughts or advice greatfully received. Could always get a small car I suppose.

you didnt mention what you ride or where you ride.
do you ride in London (wouldnt think with you wanting a Quad :w00t: )

AFAIK, you will only harm the engine if you aren’t keeping to the service schedule and revving it like mad. It probably depends on the model, but most modern 600s should be more than capable of the kind of riding you describe.

Am on an ER6F…my commute is mainly 40 mph on clear roads with a mile either end of 30 mph roads that are busyish but moving.

If the 6 mile ride isn’t harming the bike, could just go for some grips and be done with it.

[quote]
bluelagos (02/04/2009)

Am on an ER6F…my commute is mainly 40 mph on clear roads with a mile either end of 30 mph roads that are busyish but moving.

If the 6 mile ride isn’t harming the bike, could just go for some grips and be done with it.[/quote]

Would certainly be cheaper Nick :smiley:

Hiya

Cheaper - but reckon a quad would be serious fun - plus I could do a proper shopping run.

How’s your u-turns coming on?..Reckon I agree wiv u, they seem a test of something you are very unlikely to do. I always do a three point turn as I reckon they are safer (for me).

Went for a run down to Guildford today and pulled into a side road for a fag. Did a perfect u-turn when I got back on - starting facing downhill and ending facing uphill :smiley:

Irony is, I only do 'em coz I know I’ll be tested on them :smiley:

I saw a quad pass my roundabout when I was cornermanning on the confidence rideout - yeah - excellent fun, but wouldn’t fancy them in traffic.

How about getting a V-Max trike like 7wheel’s? :smiley: Now that’s cool :cool: