What to do after getting caught in torrential rain

The most I’ve ever done to any of my bikes after a goodly soaking, and there have been some right royal goodly soakings I can assure you, is 

1. Give the drive chain and electricals a goodly spray of WD40, re-lube the drive chain. If cable lubrication isn’t part of your service schedule go there with the WD40 and re-lube procedure too.

2. Check the air filter and its housing for any water ingress, draining off and drying out any water/moisture

3. Have a peek through the oil level sight glass, if the oil has taken on a brownish tint that is an indication that the oils moisture absorbing additives have absorbed too much moisture, an immediate oil change is required.

MTFU :joy::joy:

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

What to do after getting caught in torrential rain
Whatever you do, you are certainly getting plenty of practice at it these days.

I usually swear a lot, resolve never to do it again, have a shower and a cup of tea.

I first towel dry the engine, radiator, swingarm, and wheels. Then I remove the chain and scrub a softhead toothbrush around each link, paying particular attention to the inside. With the chain still off I then massage natural oils into each O ring, progressively working it in with dental floss. I remove any grit and chain lube from the sprocket with a microfibre cloth and finish with a leather chamois. To complete the I then rub the entire bike down with lime segments (a dozen organic limes from M&S) to neutralise any remaining acidic substances.

This preventative maintenence only takes about six hours after a ride and maintains the bikes in the concours condition they are known for.

I first towel dry the engine, radiator, swingarm, and wheels. Then I remove the chain and scrub a softhead toothbrush around each link, paying particular attention to the inside. With the chain still off I then massage natural oils into each O ring, progressively working it in with dental floss. I remove any grit and chain lube from the sprocket with a microfibre cloth and finish with a leather chamois. To complete the I then rub the entire bike down with lime segments (a dozen organic limes from M&S) to neutralise any remaining acidic substances.

This preventative maintenence only takes about six hours after a ride and maintains the bikes in the concours condition they are known for.

whereisgibson
yer right

I bet you do what I do

Nothing

whereisgibson
Sounds totally reasonable; except the use of lime (which is citric acid) to neutralize acidic substances...

Abzero, M&S organic limes are alkaline…

Yeah, come on, you don’t use just any limes.

Would Waitrose or whole foods limes work as well?

Would Waitrose or whole foods limes work as well? Changyammi

It’s a risk. I was once caught out in a downpour in Knightsbridge and had to make do with a punnet of kumquats from Harrods.

so thats where you spend most of you time when travelling!  i always wondered.

Abzero, M&S organic limes are alkaline.. nivag
wow the rich really live differently...

Me, I just ride it into the rain again which washes it clean again.  Simples    “squeak”

ACF50 its to best stuff for this weather. radiator and engine will dry naturally due to the engine heat, use a cold water hose on a spray once the bike cools down paying attention to the nooks and crannies of the radiator, wash the bike like normal. then ACF50 all the exposed metal components with the exception of the brakes.

Strip naked

With limes or kumquats?