What to do after getting caught in torrential rain

Hello LB.

I think those of you that have been commuting yesterday or this week will have at one point got caught in heavy rain. Yesterday was particularly bad for me as the bottom of a slip road was submerged in about 4-6 inches of rain and i drove my bike through it - felt like riding a boat!

Once I get home and the bike has cooled down I spray down the bike with the garden hose to remove all the dirt and small pebbles. Was wondering what some of you do to your bikes after it gets exposed to a lot of rain and water? Not really interested about scooters but more those riders with a naked or sport motorcycle

Lock it up, resolve to clean it at some point in the future.

Lock it up, resolve to clean it at some point in the future. Big Red S
Not even re-lube the chain or something? I mean my chain was partially submerged for about 50 yards!

It was pretty heavy last night, luckily I was home before the worst of it started.

I tend to just get myself in out of the rain to dry off after riding in heavy rain and if the chain needs a bit more oil it can wait for the morning.

Lock it up, resolve to clean it at some point in the future. Big Red S

I approve this, also keep the dirt for as long as you can… show your friends that you are a seasoned rider that doesn’t pussy out for some torrential downpours. 

Although a bit of chain lubing won’t hurt the bike

LOL… that was me yesterday… about 17:30 on the A40 from the BBC building to Hanger Lane… WTF?  I did not know it could rain so much in so little time… that was the worst I have ever been caught out…

Never got the chance to clean it as I got home from Stanmore at 10:45.   but I guess I will today on the way home… (in the rain - no doubt)

speaking as someone who despise getting the bike wet, if your chain is been regularly lubed there’s nothing more you need to do.

you already washed it off, if you want to be through clean and relube the chain thats it.

Your bike will be fine mate

Occasionally, if I’m feeling particularly fastidious I spray the bike down with WD40. Figured that since it’s a Water Displacement agent it might help, and I once spoke to a chap who used to work in the RAF and said they did this to helicopters after they’d flown through wet weather. Either way, it certainly spells good when I set off the next morning…

TBH, I’d be more concerned about getting my gear dry ready for next journey. Nowt worse than putting back on damp gear.

oiling I have a scott oilier so I’m covered on that front, but as above it the weather is that shit. I’d just go inside and dry off.

LOL.... that was me yesterday.... about 17:30 on the A40 from the BBC building to Hanger Lane.... WTF?  I did not know it could rain so much in so little time... that was the worst I have ever been caught out....

Never got the chance to clean it as I got home from Stanmore at 10:45.   but I guess I will today on the way home… (in the rain - no doubt)

IMORTAL_Indian
Did i see you then? I am on a red/white/blue CBR500r and was on the A40 from Paddington slip road

lock it up, ride it next day sort it at the weekend or within 2-3 weeks :slight_smile:

I worry about drying my kit out first! - Normally I try and sort it on the weekend i.e clean and lube the chain. My handbook does suggest lubing the 10 or so lubrication points on the bike.

Before I put it away I generally hose the grit off (or salt in the winter) before it dries, I have a chain oiler too so don’t worry about that.

LOL.... that was me yesterday.... about 17:30 on the A40 from the BBC building to Hanger Lane.... WTF?  I did not know it could rain so much in so little time... that was the worst I have ever been caught out....

IMORTAL_Indian
Did i see you then? I am on a red/white/blue CBR500r and was on the A40 from Paddington slip road CBR500R commuter
Possibly?  I was on a wet S1000rr 

;- /

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

1+ and then think great my leather fit better and are cleaner!

Just ride it.  Nothing should fall off.  Keep chain clean and lubed.  I’ve literally just wiped my bike down with a rag and some WD40 and made sure that my Loobman oiler is working properly. Took me all of 15 minutes. Job done.

Sell it! Now! And get a new, dry one. You can never be too careful about these things.

Thank you all for your replies! It seems the majority would just store, clean later and keep the chain clean and lubed.

They are bikes and whilst we may like to think they are precision clocks, they actually can withstand a ridiculous amount of abuse. But there is a difference between going months without lubing chains and cleaning bike and using normally.

If you were to wash, clean, degrease and lube every time, I think you’ll get bored of biking very quickly. On the other hand if you can do it both from a cost and time point of view, why not.

Just use some common sense and you’ll be fine.