What should I fighter - 900 Blade or 600 Ninja?

New project on the horizon…

I’m gonna streetfighter a bike to use as my commuter and general everyday runaround.

It’s not going to look good but all the kit will be good - brakes, lights, transmission etc… Will go like the stink.

So I’ve narrowed down my choices to…

FireBlade - the 92-95 model…

Pros: Power, Honda reliabilty, looks good, tried and tested base for a streetfighter etc…
Cons: Will go through chains and tyres quicker than a 600, more expensive to insure, petrol usage etc…

And 600 Ninja, G or J model (similar to the one I restored recently)

Pros: Lighter than blade, cheaper to run, I know these bikes inside out…
Cons: Less power, I’ve already got one (so would have two similar bikes), would need a good few mods to sort it

Any ideas? Should have done one of those poll topics now thinking about it…

Oh well… Off to the Streetfighters forum it is then!

I’m just stuck looking at that photo of the Fireblade and thinking I hope it’s not that actual one lol

As to answer your question, probably base it on a 600, lighter and easier to get in and out of traffic.

Haha! Christ no, if I had a Blade like that I wouldn’t dare go tearing it apart! Factory photo innit…

Those 900s are actually pretty light for their age, and I’d be putting riser bars on and grinding down the steering locks to tighten the turning circle…

Still a good point about manoeuvrability though, cheers

I have used a couple of blades for commuting . They do just fine . Its width is the key point and there aint much in it .I would stick with clipons and cafe it … The thing that makes the KTM a pain in traffic is the whopping big renthal bars get in the way of everything .

I’d go for the ninja

On what grounds?

I like ninjas

Haha! Nice

900 blade, you will have more options and parts etc for it.

Yeah I’ve got my heart set on the Blade now…

Cheers for the input. My plan is to get a high mileage bike and do a full engine rebuild. I’ve never rebuilt a complex engine so I want to give that a crack…

If anyone hears of a 1995 FireBlade going for cheap (high mileage, crashed, stolen recovered etc) then give me a shout! :slight_smile:

Sold one … just a few months ago … Fuglyblade . No rebuild required engine gearbox as good as new … those engines are good for big numbers of miles if looked after so chances are that will be fine . Electrics will be where your pain lies :crazy:

There is fuglyblade lurking in the background

Yup… That’s what I’m after… It won’t look like that by the time I’m finished with it, although I won’t be throwing Nitromorse all over the tank :stuck_out_tongue:

What did it go for?

It went for the princley sum of 850 quid . No mot … No tax 56000 on the clock and cuts out when you turn left . Although I did tempoarily fix that so he could ride it home :hehe:

At 850 quid that’s a steal!

Will keep my eyes peeled for a similar bargain…

I got it in a swap for an old dommie … The constant revolving door that is my garage :smiley:

You wouldn’t need to grind down lock stops … they are plenty manoevrable without doing that. My '92 is probably the best thing I’ve ridden through traffic. I get around 45 mpg and well maintained chains last ages if you ride smoothly. Tyres don’t do too badly either.

Great bikes!

I’m gonna sell my ZX12R and buy a second 90s blade … I like 'em that much!

Nice.

I’m going to opt for the 95 model, as it still has the first 893cc engine, but with an improved shift drum which apparently smooths out the gearbox

Good to hear about the fuel economy and maneuverability as I’ll be commuting on it 20ish daily…

I have the '95. lovely bikes :slight_smile: