What is a good bike to start on after DAS

Good points Joby.

When I think back to how I rode my bike when I’d just passed my test I now know I was only using a fraction of its (albeit relatively modest) power.

Apart from showing off (which admittedly is important) what is the point of getting a very powerful bike as your first big bike…you probably won’t be using it properly for years.

Some riders too seem to ‘upgrade’ to bigger engined bikes before they have really experienced the full capabilities of the bike they have. This seems a shame as to my mind smaller-engined, lighter bikes often have more to offer in terms of riding enjoyment when you are using them at peak(ish) power and torque than bigger-engined bikes which you cannot fully exploit on the road. They are also cheaper to buy, run and insure and less likely to get nicked.

As I always repeat ad infinitum…

Less is most definitely More :slight_smile:

Alright mate. I ride a Fazer 600, mk1 (1999) model…

Was my first big bike, pretty good but I’ve since ridden better…

You’d be welcome to give mine a go on a private road somewhere if you want to get a feel for it…

I’m also doing my DAS soon. I’m in love with the Daytona 675. Sex on wheels!!!

I was so so so close to putting down a deposit on one last week but managed to stop myself as I think I need to sit on one before I go and spend the cash.

As someone mentioned, don’t forget the older bikes. Insurance on those is often cheaper, partly as repairs are cheaper but mainly as they are less desirable to the thieving toerags than the latest bit of glitzy hardware.

If you want to buy new(ish) prety well all of the 600/650’s from Japan are sound buys. My sons 650 Bandit (with ABS) was a bit bland but a decent enough ride.

Bikes to stay away from as a newbie. Bike singles, V twins (except the SV)

I dispute this, I ride long distances on my FZ6 at high speeds and unless it’s more than five hours or so I don’t suffer any ill effects.

Actually, because I’m tall, fairings make it worse for me, since the division between the fast / slow air hits me right in the neck. On a naked bike it’s more evenly distributed.

Or p’raps I’m just hard.

exactly what happend on the CBF (half faired) i had. the fairing sent the air straight to my helmet, on the hornet and CB1R the air hits my chest more evenly making it more comfortable

The idea is on a faired bike is that you can tuck behind the screen if you need to. If you don’t find it deflects the wind enough then a double bubble screen may be the way to go.

TBH if you can put up with a naked bike then I’d get a naked just because there will be very little damage if you drop it.

i’ve had/got both SV and hornet.

the hornet is great in town, and in the lanes, it will get a move on a lot quicker than you think and is pretty easy to ride around on.

the newer shape hornets have much better aftermarket screens availible, they looks good and work well for longer journeys.

the SV is aslo a geat bike, it will feel a bit more punchy than the hornet from low revs, but the hornet has more power, plus’s with SV’s are low punch, engine braking, and decent enough handlign plus its also easy to ride.

go for what you liek as both are are good choice.

and dont worry about smooth=fast, it is true but concentrate more on bonding with the bike and gettign used to it.

GS500 cheap as chips, great in town, and when you drop them they don’t go off to the knackers yard.

NO.

poor sod will be bored of it in a week:D:w00t:

My first bike after passing my test was a Suzuki GSXR750 because that’s what I wanted. I was 26 at the time. Buy what you want is my advice.

yeah have what you want (can afford ?) but make sure you can fully control it

Read the reviews…they always put the word ‘newbie’ in there if it’s the right sort of bike for a newbie.:slight_smile: Avoid the one’s that are high insurance. Obvious to say but they are usually high insurance for new riders because new riders bin them or get them nicked. You just have to read the stories on here to glean that.

You’ll find something not too heavy and with moderate power and torque will be tweak-able and more fun to ride and own than you might think. I actively don’t want to own an exotic bike because I’d just worry all the time about it getting nicked…

anyway TT senior on ITV4 now I think…

I bought an XJ6 Diversion. The semi-faired one. Cost £5K new, a lot less than the advertised price, in August last year. I think they were trying to shift anything!!! ?

I can’t really compare it to other big bikes, because I haven’t ridden them, but I think it’s quite good for learners, as it will go in most gears?

However, I’ve had a lot of issues with it. Mostly the vibrating noises. I actually had the entire headlight replaced as the reflector was vibrating in the unit. I’m fairly sure the new one is doing the same, only not to the same extent.

The chain noise is also irritating and I’ve spoken to several owners who report the same thing, with stories of trips to Yamaha dealers who either fob you off or make adjustments which don’t do anything. I don’t know if a new chain and sprocket might solve this (the bike’s only done 8K though, so I’m not suggesting it’s worn). I can lessen it by applying lube in copious amounts, which seems to help for a day or two.

Also, after learning on a YBR-125, I went for a semi-faired bike as people said it would be better on the motorway. However, I found that the wind would smack me in the face, around the forehead and I had to buy a double-bubble style windscreen to stop this, as it was actually making it difficult to see at 70, as I wear glasses and the helmet would make them vibrate too. I’m only 5 foot 9 too, so not exactly tall. Having dropped it early on, cracking the fairing on one side too (despite the yamaha protector!), I often wish I’d just bought a naked version, especially as I’ve now discovered that long-distance riding on a motorway is BORING anyway and very tiring on the throttle hand. In fact, it’s enough to make me want to just get a naked bike for around town and a car if I actually want to go anywhere. Particularly as I end up going slower on a bike on the motorway, as it canes the fuel at higher speeds.

Fuel economy, incidentally, is about 45mpg. Doesn’t really seem to matter whether I ride it fast or slow, using all the gears or just the first 3 or 4. Bit better on the motorway, although the fuel does drain in front of your eyes at speeds you’d find in the outside lane. 60ish seems much better and the sat nav reports I get there in about the same time.The fuel guage is flashing empty again today and I’m at about 100 miles. It’ll probably be touching 115 by the time I fill it up. I’ve never managed to get more than 14/15 litres in on a fill up either, so it’ll probably go further, as it’s supposed to have a capacity of 18 I think.

Hope this helps. It might be that I’d have found similar issues with other bikes too and I’m just a fussy bastard mind you. I actually like the look of that new Honda NC 700s, although I haven’t ridden one. Storage space and better economy on the fuel attracts me. I’ve seen negative opinions from some, but I’m really not after something that screams around town or does incredible speeds on the motorway. I ride a bike is for commuting basically. Still, think I’ll be sticking with my XJ6 and living with it for a while, as I’ve added pannier racks, top box and done various wiring jobs to add heated grips and power for GPS and there’s this tiny crack in the fairing which’ll no doubt depreciate it even more… The yamaha dealer just looked at me blankly when I asked about repairs, saying they can only order an entire new part… ?

I’d have loved to buy a Honda, but 0% finance will usually swing things for me.

I was looking at all the same bikes as you. I went for an 09 hornet in the end as it’s getting used all year and Honda have the best reputation for lasting winters. Also it’s got more power than the other bikes mentioned, looks mean.

Above 90 is uncomfortable unless you lay down on the tank (and look a proper tool), but that’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned, I’d like to keep my license.

It’s a do it all bike.

If you’re after a weekend play bike, then just pick the bike you like the look / sound of the most that you can afford to insure!

Might also be worth a look at the NC700X / S if that kind of thing floats your boat (not me).