What gearing?

Hiya

I have a GSX 1250 and am thinking of changing the sprockets to get a bit more acceleration.

I think the stock is 17 and 45. What do you think I should change it to?

Thanks

BMW S1000RR :wink: :smiley:

3 Likes

going up 3 on the back is about the same as down 1 on the front.
it depends how much difference you want, sprockets are cheap so id go small changes see what you like.

i use 44 and 47 teeth sprockets on the DRZ without having to mess about with chain lengths, but anymore and i think i would need to, changing the front has less effect on chain length though, but a smaller front sprocket will wear out quicker.

Join the Suzuki Bandit forum, some very helpful people on there.

Of little benefit unless you’re using it off road or for stunting. For road use once the motorcycle is rolling at 15+ mph the stock gearing will have all the acceleration you need. Of course the downside of lowering the stock gearing is higher fuel consumption, increased engine wear and tear, lower cruising speed and depending how low you go shorter service intervals.

For the traffic light drag strip get yourself a little twist and go :wink:

It’s a choice of more acceleration or higher top speed, both of which can be fun and change how a bike feels and behaves.

It might not be needed on the road, but nor is 1000cc.

Yep, 990 is plenty on the road. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I used to start with -1 on the front and go from there. The most extreme I ran was -1 on the front and + 3 on the rear. This was on a GSX-R 1000 K5 and boy, that was absolutely batshit crazy in terms of acceleration.

This reminds me, I need to tweak the gearing on my SMC R. It needs -1 and perhaps more.