What did I do wrong...?

So, this happened this morning:

Looking back, I don’t think I was going to fast or to close - the car in front broke pretty hard (and he really didnt need to). But I did skid a little; I think the surprise of the braking mean I didn’t check that the car on my left was still there - as a swerve would have worked.
I think I had too much rear brake something i need to work on really.

I don’t think you did anything wrong, the Merc broke hard, presumably as you both went through the lights on Amber and the Pedestrians started crossing in front and he didn’t want to end up stuck in the Box junction if they continued crossing, you reacted well and saved going into the back of him, it looks like you had a little lock up but thats expected with how sharp you had to brake

I watched that a couple of time and what I noticed is the second set of lights there is actually not stop line!!

I think he thought he was going to get caught by the light camera which was for the previous…

I think he just didn’t know the road, but to be honest almost a pointless set of lights those…

As above cannotot see you did anything wrong and good job on the avoid.

Cheers guys - after two near collisions this week i’m hoping for an incident free week.

I looked at it a few times and think that the Merc didn’t know the road and broke very hard. If you were driving over 30mph then i’d say you were driving a bit too close.

Yeah I agree, I think you’re a little too close. In this cold also, the bike will be more prone to a little lock up. You handled the bike well, but give yourself a little more space particularly around changing lights.

I’ve never even noticed that second light…it seems to have no purpose!

You didn’t do anything wrong, but I was itching for you to filter. 

The Merc was required to stop (as were you) !

Meaning of “stop line”
42.—(1) Subject to sub-paragraphs (2) and (3), “stop line” in relation to light signals for the control of vehicular traffic means—
(a) in relation to any vehicle except a tramcar, the road marking provided for at item 46 of the table in Part 2; and
(b) in relation to a tramcar—
(i) the road marking provided for at item 47 of that table; or
(ii) where that marking has not been placed, the road marking provided for at item 46.
(2) Where the road marking provided for at item 48, 49 or 50 of the table in Part 2 has been placed in conjunction with light signals, “stop line” means—
(a) unless (b) applies, the first stop line; or
(b) in the case of—
(i) a pedal cycle; or
(ii) a vehicle which has proceeded beyond the first stop line,
the second stop line.
(3) Where no stop line has been provided in conjunction with light signals or the stop line is not visible, references to the “stop line” are—
(a) in a case where the sign provided for at item 58, 59 or 60 of the table in Part 2 is placed in conjunction with the light signals, to be treated as references to
that sign; and
(b) in any other case, to be treated as references to the post or other structure on which the primary signals are mounted.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/455160/TSRGD-august-2015-regulations.pdf (page 390)

You’re definitely too close by the general guidelines, that’s not even a second’s gap, though I agree London’s generally a different ball game. 

You probably also need either to sort out your brakes or be better at deciding whether to stop or not. I don’t know why you didn’t stop alongside the car that braked hard.

The second lights are just a repeat set of the primary where the stop line is. Went through on amber as stopping at the line wouldn’t have been safe. If I read you paste correctly; if the second set weren’t a repeat, then we should have stopped in line with them in the middle of the box junction?

I've never even noticed that second light...it seems to have no purpose! crookzy1
A fairly normal pattern in the UK at junctions like that is to have one light at either side of the road at the stop line, and another pair quite a way ahead, often across whatever road's being crossed. I presume it's to help people who don't manage to stop in time to see the first set.
You're definitely too close by the general guidelines, that's not even a second's gap, though I agree London's generally a different ball game. 

You probably also need either to sort out your brakes or be better at deciding whether to stop or not. I don’t know why you didn’t stop alongside the car that braked hard.

Big Red S
interesting - in regard to the brakes that's either me hitting the rear brake to hard or snatching the front a bit. Either way I think if i were on a bigger bike i'd have been able to stop (at least from what I remember about the 600cc's braking when I learnt.)

I didn’t stop along side most like because of the initial skid, so didn’t want to jam the brakes on again. But since it happens pretty fast its hard to remember exact reasons.

I've never even noticed that second light...it seems to have no purpose! crookzy1
A fairly normal pattern in the UK at junctions like that is to have one light at either side of the road at the stop line, and another pair quite a way ahead, often across whatever road's being crossed. I presume it's to help people who don't manage to stop in time to see the first set. Big Red S
I always though it was so if you stop at the light you don't have to creak you neck to see the lights.

Too close. You need to be able to stop or manoeuvre in the space you have. Also should have anticipated the possibility of this happening at a junction as the lights were Changing by slowing, backing off or changing lane.

That said it’s impossible to make the right call all the time so don’t beat yourself up, just learn and move on.

Were you on the A4 at a junction near Earl’s Court which has been recently had the second set of lights added? If so it’s a confusing set up without a second stop line. I’ve seen a lot of drivers and riders alike brake hard because they are not sure of what they are meant to be doing. Blame TFL; their design is poor and dangerous.

As for your handling you got out of trouble so you did well.

Too close. You need to be able to stop or manoeuvre in the space you have. Also should have anticipated the possibility of this happening at a junction as the lights were Changing by slowing, backing off or changing lane.

That said it’s impossible to make the right call all the time so don’t beat yourself up, just learn and move on.

Jay
at the risk of being defensive I do back off slightly; you can see the gap increasing before he jams his brake on - but not enough obviously.
Were you on the A4 at a junction near Earl's Court which has been recently had the second set of lights added? If so it's a confusing set up without a second stop line. I've seen a lot of drivers and riders alike brake hard because they are not sure of what they are meant to be doing. Blame TFL; their design is poor and dangerous.

As for your handling you got out of trouble so you did well.

eezie
yep A4 around that point.

thanks for the comments so far. Gap, braking, risk at junctions and being a bit more aware of the gap to the left would be take away’s from this.

You did nothing wrong in my eyes!

I’ll be honest with you, you did go wrong because the Merc standing on his brakes could have been anticipated. You are travelling on the A4 east and at that junction there is a traffic light camera which you’ll observe in the video. Most commuting traffic on that road use it every day and the Merc is most likely a taxi so they’ll all be aware the camera is there. The Merc driver has most likley considered running the light on amber and then remembered the camera and stood on the brakes. You see that there all the time. Where you know there is a red light safety camera be aware that drivers are more likely to panic brake and adjust your riding accordingly.

Yeah you kinda get better at a commute when you know the road really well. Until then, give yourself some reaction time for ‘unexpected’ incidents.

What are you riding? Commuting and filtering never made sense to me until
I upgraded from the VanVan to a 600. You get so much more stability and confidence on a bigger bike… To the point where you’d have filtered past the Merc way before this issue even happened :sunglasses:

I’ve been doing the commute for over a year now - but never really seen that behaviour before. As he went over the stop line and so early in the light change - I didn’t (obviously) expect him to brake so hard. But; its something to think about now.

I’m on a CBF125cc - so the lack of power means I’m probably following to closer for filtering purpose (I do filter, just not in that clip.) Am upgrading soonish but sometimes these incidents make me think I need to learn more on the bike i’ve got…