What a hopeless bunch.

In what way is saying that bike maintenance might be pleasurable for some people snapping back at you - do you think every comment - even a harmless one like that is directed at you?

If you do you’ve got a rather inflated sense of your own self importance.

Your coming across like a right headbanger! :wink:

I hate faffing about with the bike, it’s always cold and I always hurt myself. If the weather’s nice enough for it not to be cold I’d be out riding if I had that amount of spare time.

Oh, and the pushrod seal came out again the other week NJ, half way around the North Circ in the sleet. Another is on order and I’ll be installing it myself.

But will I enjoy it? No. Do I carry a spare clutch cable? No. Will I? No.

Remember we get a 15% disc at Axa those of you who can’t be arsed with oily hands, bleeding knuckles and a shed full of mysterious bits.

I guess the pushrod seal was totally past it - the new seal should sort it. :wink:

ermmmm, let me think what could give me the impression it was directed at me…oh yeah, you quoted my post.I think you love me really and are just playing hard to get. And I actually am really really important. My mother told me so ner. As for me being a headbanger, not sure I can fully dispute that.

No Shewoolf - I didn’t quote you (at first) - I just posted a neutral comment that was in agreement with you - I then added that some people have been known to enjoy bike maintenance although it’s not everyone’s cup of tea - which for some reason seems to enrage you. If you look back It was you who quoted my post in the first instance.

Not only do you seem to find it intolerable that someone should post even the mildest comment which differs from your world view - you also distort the facts.

At least we can agree that you are a headbanger. :wink:

Pretty bemused by the way this thread is going. Back to where I started and a bit of clarification.

No, I don’t expect people to become expert mechanics or carry out any complex mechanical tasks. And I have my bike dealer serviced because it would be silly to buy the computer and software for the ECU.

No, I don’t expect to enjoy working on machinery, I no longer do so why should anyone else. If they do, that’s fine, just count me out.

My point was (is?) that this is a simple ten minute fix that gets you home, which to my mind beats waiting hours in the cold for the RAC or whoever.

If you want that wait, fine. You want to be left with a marooned bike in a dodgy area, fine. Not my problem.

Complex job? About as difficult as putting your own fuel in your tank and you don’t call the RAC and wait for hours for that.

I just found it hard to find out that Londonbikers were putting more effort into discussing how to pull a fast one on the breakdown service than having enough nouse to fix a simple problem.

I’ll modify the post title to “What a predominantly hopeless bunch”. There has been the odd glimmer of hope amongst the knee jerk reactionaries.

well said Oldguy :smiley:

Ooops, oh yeah. My bad.

Anyway all - read her thread about it - Yolaah fixed it herself in the end:)

Just read it.

Kind of lost all my joy.

I don’t have to be a Mc Gyver.

And I’m not gonna carry DIY magic boxes and build a new engine out of a piece of string, wire and a plastic spoon when I break down.

I’m not as talented as you, Mr Oldguy.

ps. (Jetstream, thank you :slight_smile: I’m much older than his daughter…)

I reckon this is a bit harsh :stuck_out_tongue: Just because some people do it doesn’t mean everybody is like it! Hell, I don’t even HAVE my own bike yet but I’m studying bike mechanics at college… I guess it depends on the person really… But I don’t think its fair to generalise people :stuck_out_tongue:

PMSL :smiley:

Was it the large objects up the bum or the nipple hanging comment that did it :wink:

Don’t worry, there is more to London Bikers than owning a bike. Most of the good stuff requires a bike though.

Bemused by calling people who aren’t mechanically minded hopeless ?
I take it you’re bemused that you thought some of them were audacious enough to disagree with your view.

I have some pretty unusual skills due to my job and life experience, would it be right of me to call people hopeless because they couldn’t do some of them ? A simple problem to you or I might be quite a task to others.
To be honest I thought you were being downright rude hence why maybe others and myself being quite blunt back.

well done that woman… i think its tight oldguy started a thread moaing about this!!

olddude…

not really…i tend to break things!!

so instead i go to Essential Rubber and get them to fix my Phuck Ups:D

born to ride not wield a spanner!:w00t:

[quote]
BusaBaz (17/04/2010)

Well said that man :slight_smile:

When confronted by an armed terrorist (or a broken clutch cable) my first thought is always, “what would John McClain do?”