West London newbie

Hi all!

I’m 32, very new to biking (shame on me) and have been lazily browsing the forum for quite a while. I did my CBT and theory about one month ago and got a CBF125 straightaway - the initial idea was to go straight through DAS but, well, had to sort of make a compromise with my concerned half (then, this Autumn, we shall speak again ^^)

I’m absolutely loving it, especially since it’s “clicking” now. I use it for my daily commute and the occasional short weekend ride…and I’m spending far too much time looking for half/full day trips I can do without landing on the highway - any tip welcome!

Welcome to London Bikers. Don’t mind the madness. You’ll see what i mean soon enough…

Welcome to the madhouse!

Hi Erredue, welcome to biking. Unfortunately it is a lifetime addiction (40 years for me).
I would say relax and take it easy you, time in the seat is the best thing and look into the bikesafe course, I believe they run one from the Ace cafe. I’m planning in doing my IAM course this year so even I don’t know everything.

Thanks everyone!
I was thinking of that course, is it worth it? The Ace cafe is a stone throw from here so that’s handy to know!

Welcome
Tell the other half having a bigger bike can be a lot safer

I did the bikesafe course after 3 years of dispatchibg and still learnt a lot so yes. If you’re near the Ace cafe and are free Thursday I’ve got a MAG meeting there at 7 you’re quite welcome to come along

And of course when you’ve got a bigger bike your partner can fly to the south of France for example and you can ride down enjoying the Alps or Pyrenees. :slight_smile:

Welcome Tell the other half having a bigger bike can be a lot safer Wise
^ this is very true

Ha! I think she has more experience as a pillion than I have as a rider so I bet this doesn’t sound new :slight_smile:

And…I hate flying so there’s only one solution the way I see it…

Welcome aboard mate. :smile:

Welcome buddy

Welcome. Sounds like you live very close to me. Go on the A40 and take the exit to Gerrards cross and just follow the roads. Good little confidence builder.

You sound like you’re in a very similar place to me, I’ve been riding since December on an MT-125 from Teddington. I commute on it every day but haven’t really got out of town yet. I have a bikesafe booked this month (22 April if there are still spaces free) then I’m doing my DAS just to get rid of the L plates, but I suspect a taste of a big bike could prove terminal to the 125 ownership…where exactly are you based?

but I suspect a taste of a big bike could prove terminal to the 125 ownership tjl80
...it will

Hi :blush: I definitely think it was wiser to get a 125, at least for a year. It gives you a cheap learning tool and it’s also a lot more forgiving of little mistakes.

Some people jump straight into a powerful bike without issue, but I personally believe you miss an important stage of learning how to handle a bike.

Definitely get yourself on some ride outs, there’s a TOWiE one coming up at the end of this month that’s bound to be amazing, it’s a great experience if you can make it

Thanks everyone for all the tips!

I’m based near askew Road, w12. There are several bikes in the area so I wonder if I saw any of you around.

I’ll go for the bikesafe as soon as I can book a day off, training is never enough! This Saturday I will go for the Gérard cross little trip, seems like a nice place to get lost!

As for rideouts, I’d like to try but I’m sort of afraid I’m too slow to keep pace, I’d hate to be the guy everyone have to wait for, so it’s probably best kept for later!

there’s always someone slowest in a group that sets the pace. if it’s not you it’ll be someone else. so it might as well be you!

Thanks everyone for all the tips!

I’m based near askew Road, w12. There are several bikes in the area so I wonder if I saw any of you around.

I’ll go for the bikesafe as soon as I can book a day off, training is never enough! This Saturday I will go for the Gérard cross little trip, seems like a nice place to get lost!

As for rideouts, I’d like to try but I’m sort of afraid I’m too slow to keep pace, I’d hate to be the guy everyone have to wait for, so it’s probably best kept for later!

Erredue
you cant get any slower than me

don’t worry about it as groovy says if it says it 125cc friendly it will be

the towie one at the end of this month will be a good one to start with