Welcome to the new LB site!

Nice :slight_smile:

Slacker, I can’t tell if that’s sarcasm or if you’re just that security conscious? :slight_smile: Don’t use passwords! Use social sign-in.

I hope ‘Go to first unread post’ for viewing a thread is high on the priorities list? :slight_smile:

Am I being some crazy paranoid old fool when I decide I distrust both Google and Facebook with things like logins to other services?

Right well this is new and intriguing… Took me a bit by surprise but log-in process was easy enough

Will take some time to get used to but good job on all the hard work so far…

It’s good to think about security Big Red S, it’s something we think about a lot. In this case though it’s worth understanding what’s happening when you sign-in with a social account - at no point does Facebook or Google have access to your LB account. The process works like this very simply:

• You sign-in to Facebook
  • Facebook tells LB you are who you say you are
  • LB trusts Facebook and grants you access to LB

What we’re doing is taking away the need to interrogate you to prove you are who you say you are with a username and password. Facebook have already done the interrogation and we trust them, so we let you in.

The benefit is that we don’t need a password on your account for you, so your account is safer. Your account is safer still if you use multi-factor authentication on your Facebook/Google account.

Though that said, I believe in flexibility so if you want to have a backup way to your LB account, you can set a password and sign-in at any time using that. Just hit the menu icon in the top left and go to Your account where you can set a password and if you felt like it, disassociate your social sign-in with LB (you could sign-in with those again at any point again, it’s not final).

We, like many other sites nowadays are doing this to make it easier and safer to sign-in. The number of news stories about sites getting hacked and password lists getting distributed grows every day. One way to lower the impact of this is by not storing passwords in the first place.

We may implement multi-factor authentication ourselves in the future as well, we have the fundamentals in place currently, but for now, social sign-in is a great way to make things more secure and simpler.

Jay, I’m quite serious. Luckily, there are tools that make keeping track of all those passwords a breeze.

Big Red S, you and me both. I’d also rather not give access to all my (linked) accounts because one of them (e.g. google) got compromised.

Ello Jay, my name has reverted back to R1 Frank from Franc, is there anyway I can change it? Cheers.
Site works well on the ipad and iPhone :slight_smile:

Yeah, I view them as a bit too vault-like, and also the freedom hippy in me is concerned about it becoming the norm that those are the only way into a site. I don’t really buy the necessarily more secure argument, since it reduces all my things to a single set of credentials (Google or Facebook) and if people are still getting auth wrong when it’s so easy to not roll your own then they’ll probably have got the Google or Facebook integration insecurely wrong anyway.

So I’m pleased I can use a normal username and password and that’s basically a condition of my signing in to the site, it just seems polite to remind visitors of the weird password restrictions on the login screen, to help users work out what password they generated. I’m also skeptical of the idea that reducing the pool of available characters improves password security :slight_smile:

Looking very nice! Well done for all of the hard work that’s gone into it :slight_smile:

well well, it finally happened!
congratulations Jay, now hide for cover and wait for the dinosaurs to start moaning :smiley: :smiley:
hey where are the smilies???

Franc, when did you change it?

You might need to explain how those two statements aren’t contradictory?

Looks good

silveR6, they’re coming! For now you need to rely on good old fashioned smilies :slight_smile:

Following the notification when soneone posts on a followed thread takes you to the 1st post not the latest one.
(Using a mobile browser)

Love, it looks great on iPad and iPhone… Great job

Yep, links to the first unread post will come soon in notification emails. Thanks MacP.

Bloody hell Patrick where have you suddenly sprung up from? :stuck_out_tongue:

Next thing you’ll be heading over for a Jetstream adventure rideout. :slight_smile:

No ‘like’ feature?