was it fair to get 4 yrs?

[quote]
Mike (29/02/2008)

If they are too thick to notice that this case points out that they can lose their life jumping a red light, then there’s nothing really worth saying to them.

The young lady killed someone just so she could keep texting whilst driving. She deserves 4 years.

This is a separate issue from the behaviour of cyclists on the road. Of course cyclists should be more considerate, but I hope I’m judged kindly for my riding errors. I hope I’m not killed just because a young lady fails to grasp the responsibility that accompanies a driving licence.

Yesterday i saw a cyclist riding past our place in dense traffic using a cycle lane… , he was riding on the wrong side against traffic and was texting .!
He nearly got wiped out by a car correctly joining the flow from a side road opposite which had to encroach into the cycle lane briefly .
the cyclist had a baby seat on the back[ thankfully empty. sometimes i just wish i was a copper, but would that be a chargeable offense ??

She also had 9 points on her license and a previous conviction for speeding on the same stretch of road. I imagine the judge felt that she had had enough warnings.

I do not think the sentence is unfair - but I am not sure what locking her up will achieve - I think a longer ban from driving - maybe for life would achieve more and give us all better protection from a very dangerous driver.

Unfortunately I think with someone like who has no regard for anyone else on the road, would just drive without a license.