Uswitch poll - England is the worst...

Well, its official folks. Blighty is the worst place to live in Europe, with one in ten wanting to emigrate. Canada for me I think…

http://www.uswitch.com/news/money/uswitch-quality-of-life-index-uk-is-the-worst-place-to-live-in-europe-900002286/

yeh, usually gras isn’t always greener on the other side, does make you think though a bit :blink:

Maybe we English are just more whiny than our europeam bretheren :stuck_out_tongue:

yeh, I realized many of you English do whine a lot indeed.

Many Germans do too though, French not so much it appears.

if i only worked half a week for a decent standard of living and could afford to get smashed on a bottle of wine every night, i wouldnt be whinging either!

Yeah, Lagos is much nicer:P

probably the worse place for us English, the Poles, Romanians, Hungarians, Nigerians etc etc don’t seem to think so… :stuck_out_tongue:

It is only a comparison of 10 European Countries.

It also doesn’t include the opinion of any of those people. So whether one group whines more than another would not influence the outcome of the poll.

The reason we are at the bottom is our cost of living, which is driven by 3 items which are/were controlled by Government at one stage.

Housing Costs, destroyed during the Thatcher era of selling of social housing, which when plentiful controls the cost of housing by offering an alternative to the prices asked in the private sector.

Utilities Costs, destroyed during the Thatcher era of selling of Publicly owned companies which now create massive profit at our expense.

Transport Costs, Petrol: which is artificially high due to the taxes levied. Public: Destroyed during the Thatcher era of selling off the publicly owned railways, rural bus companies etc to companies that now create a profit while still robbing the public purse.

Three things that could easily be fixed if the Government gave a toss, which they obviously don’t since there is very little in any manifesto about improving the housing situation, lots of talk but little else about the utilities and very little on Transport costs.

good post kaos!!

I don’t always agree with Kaos but those three points pretty much nail it. People always talk about Thatcher’s housing scheme as a kind of marvel, get the average joe on the property ladder and give them investment and a stake in the finances. This was good to begin with but over the last 20 years it’s got a lot worse to the point whereby the average national wage is nowhere near enough to afford property in most cities and large towns without either massive deposits, sacrifices and part mortgages.

However I am optimistic, I think things will get better, they generally do in all fairness. I don’t believe we’re heading towards disaster, I think the human spirit will triumph against the evil.

If you want to whinge and moan about how much you don’t like it here and how crap it is, just jump on the ferry, or take the tunnel, its quicker. I hate whining. Make some more space for the rest of us miserable bastids.

Spoken like a true SD rider +1

If the grass is greener on the other side, it’s usually because there’s more manure to fertilize it :smiley:

Or why not change it?