UK License Transfer

Hey guys, 

I’ve done some research / calling around about transferring my NZ license to a UK license so I can “legally” ride any size bike. 

What I’ve found so far is once I’ve been here for 6 months I can transfer my NZ license to a UK license and potentially obtain a DAS license which allows me to ride anything basically.

My NZ license is a “6R” which means restricted on the power of motorcycle I can ride. These are typically under 600cc and then you can apply for your Full license after having it for 18 months. 

Here, I understand most of the licensing is done on age. If you’re over 24, you complete a CBT and then go through the DAS modules to obtain a full / unrestricted license. 

I’m 25 so, come April I hope things will go smoothly and be a straight swap to then go bike shopping! Yippeee! 

If anyone has any additional info on this please post.

Sounds like it might swap for a A2, if you currently hold a restricted licence… but maybe not.

Sounds like it might swap for a A2, if you currently hold a restricted licence... but maybe not. Abzero
That's what one of the motorcycle course companies said to me but then he asked how old I was and said I should get a DAS... Won't know till it comes time to transfer! 

Motorcycle course companies don’t make the rules though. The only place you need to ask is the DVLA - their website is easy enough to find

Motorcycle course companies don't make the rules though. The only place you need to ask is the DVLA - their website is easy enough to find Jetstream
@Jetstream Ok great thanks man - I'll have a look

Just phone the DVLA - they said I can exchange my license immediately which is awesome. Sadly they couldn’t tell me what my bike license would be exchanged to however, the operator said if you’re over 24 you should get a DAS license given you already carry a license from New Zealand. 

YAY! 

Just phone the DVLA - they said I can exchange my license immediately which is awesome. Sadly they couldn't tell me what my bike license would be exchanged to however, the operator said if you're over 24 you should get a DAS license given you already carry a license from New Zealand. 

YAY! 

JAX
nice - better get bike shopping :)

I’d warn you, a verbal “should” is not proof by any means.

Just phone the DVLA - they said I can exchange my license immediately which is awesome. Sadly they couldn't tell me what my bike license would be exchanged to however, the operator said if you're over 24 you should get a DAS license given you already carry a license from New Zealand. 

YAY! 

JAX
nice - better get bike shopping :) Abzero
As much as I'd love to, I'm saving so I can buy the bike outright... April is the month!  
I'd warn you, a verbal "should" is not proof by any means. me_groovy
Yeah I'm aware of this and ultimately will see what gets returned to me when I apply. It's no issue going for a test.

YAY! 

JAX
nice - better get bike shopping :) Abzero
As much as I'd love to, I'm saving so I can buy the bike outright... April is the month!   JAX
cool - new or second hand? I'm waiting for the Christmas excesses to resolve before getting a new bike (although some might say, I'm just putting it off...)

@Abzero Used for sure - I’ll make a post soon on which bikes I’m eyeing up for some things to watch out for when viewing them

:smiley:

@Abzero Used for sure - I'll make a post soon on which bikes I'm eyeing up for some things to watch out for when viewing them JAX
btw, there a quite a few posts already in a similar vein (no idea on which bikes you're after that is) but you might find some relevant info.

@Abzero 

1 - CBR600RR
2 - ZX6R 
3 - R6 - might be too tall for it tho…
4 - GSXR600

Just to add my 2 bobs worth on the OP; my wife and I have just done a similar thing, albeit we swapped Australian licenses for UK.

The swap part itself was very simple, just send in your license and they send you a shiny new UK one a week or two later.

With regard to what class of license they will give you - unfortunately I don’t think age comes into it. I had a full Aus motorbike license, so for me it was a straight change over to full A class. My wife however has a restricted mc license, which she has held for many years, and they have only given her an A2 class license, despite being over 25.

I would tend to agree with the above, pretty sure they will only swap your license for the equivalent UK license regardless of your age.

Just to add my 2 bobs worth on the OP; my wife and I have just done a similar thing, albeit we swapped Australian licenses for UK.

The swap part itself was very simple, just send in your license and they send you a shiny new UK one a week or two later.

With regard to what class of license they will give you - unfortunately I don’t think age comes into it. I had a full Aus motorbike license, so for me it was a straight change over to full A class. My wife however has a restricted mc license, which she has held for many years, and they have only given her an A2 class license, despite being over 25.

Marty_McFly
Thanks for the info dude! I'll have to organise a test to get my full. Much appreciated! 

Actually, is there any where online that has mock tests for the theory part? What’s involved for the A Class license? 

http://www.driving-test-success.com/theory/mock-theory-test/mock-theory-test.htm
http://www.theory-test.co.uk/asp/login_form.asp

http://www.2pass.co.uk/theorytest.php?test=mockcartest

https://www.learnerdriving.com/hazard-perception-test/free-hazard-perception-test.html?gclid=CLPGxrPdkKACFZBb4wod0V2Adg

Fill your boots :slight_smile:

Actually, is there any where online that has mock tests for the theory part? What's involved for the A Class license?  JAX