Uber to lose license in London

Uber will not be granted a new licence to operate in London, Transport for London (TfL) has said.

The regulator said the taxi app was not “fit and proper” as a licence holder, despite having made a number of positive changes to its operations.

Uber originally lost its licence in 2017 due to safety concerns, but was granted a 15-month extension.

Uber now has 21 days to appeal against TfL’s decision and can continue to operate during that period.

It had received an additional two-month extension in September which expired on Sunday.

Uber has faced resistance from regulators and traditional taxi services in a range of countries after being dogged by controversy for a number of years.

Helen Chapman, Director of Licensing, Regulation and Charging at TfL, said: "As the regulator of private hire services in London we are required to make a decision today on whether Uber is fit and proper to hold a licence. Safety is our absolute top priority.

“While we recognise Uber has made improvements, it is unacceptable that Uber has allowed passengers to get into minicabs with drivers who are potentially unlicensed and uninsured.”

Fiona Cincotta, market analyst at City Index, told BBC Radio 4’s Today that Uber was likely to appeal.

But she added that if the US firm was unsuccessful: “Here in London, there would be competition that would fill that void quite quickly.”

About 45,000 drivers work for Uber in London, and if its licence is ultimately rejected all of them could lose their jobs.

However, there are other apps providing a similar service which they could join.

TfL can offer licences of up to five years, but it has been more stringent of late.

In July, Indian ride-hailing company Ola got a 15-month agreement for its entry into the London market, while ViaVan got a three-year licence renewal.

In September 2017, TfL said it declined to renew Uber’s licence on the grounds of “public safety and security implications”.

TfL’s concerns included Uber’s approach to carrying out background checks on drivers and reporting serious criminal offences.

Uber’s use of secret software, called “Greyball”, which could be used to block regulators from monitoring the app, was another factor, according to TfL.

At the time, Uber rejected TfL’s claims that it endangered public safety and said Greyball had never been used in the UK for the purposes cited by TfL.

We’ve been here before in 2017 but TfL gave in.

I really hate everything Uber stand for: they treat their drivers like shit, they treat their investors like shit and they don’t have much opinion of their customers either. They’ve also created massive congestion on our roads.

There is a town the States where the taxi drivers got together an took on Uber. They developed their own app - which wasn’t very difficult - and with the backing of their town, got it established. They are able to provide customers with the convenience of an app-based ride hailing operation but they benefit directly from it. I wish TfL would develop a similar app. They already have 21,000 London taxis they could deploy it on.

is that Halo?

No. Licensed London black cabs - which are crying out for an integrated hailing app. Many have signed up to Halo but not all. This is something which could be managed at city level for everyone’s benefit.

Although strictly speaking Uber and the black cabs are not in direct competition with each other - despite how vocal the black cabs have been at trying to block Uber.

Uber’s customers seem to come from people who can’t afford black cabs in the first place and would normally be public transport users.

It is mad that London has 45,000 extra cars on the roads plying for hire when the city is suffering from congestion, pollution, climate emergency and an inactivity crisis.

For me living on the outer realms of London you can never hail a black cab anyway & if I’m more central then the tube is much cheaper and usually quicker

I’ve used uber, I’ve had good experiences and bad experiences with it.

But, in general, when the wife is out I can order an uber straight to her location, and watch the car heading back my way which for me adds a layer of safety you just cannot get from minicabs and black taixs

That being said, nothing is ever going to be perfect and as long as the system can be played it will be played.

I recon they will win and get another 1-2 yrs out of it then it will all happen again…

1 Like

Uber is one of those companies I’m glad to.have never been really able to use when it was fashionable.

And now, everything that Michael says is reason never to start…

The likes of them, wework and deliveroo can all burn in the 7th ring of hell…

I hate they use the safety pretence on this. I don’t remember any Uber driver raping 100 women and the company just not caring like the Black Cabs did. Yes they are unethical and treat their drivers like crap, but for the first time in my life I can confidently send my drunk female friends home alone and not worry. I check the number plate, the driver, and can watch in real time as they head home.

Now we are back to either pay £50 for a dodgy black cab, or a mini cab you pay £20 and have no visibility.

One of the managers at work is a part time magistrate. He’s remanded more than one uber driver on rape & serious sexual assault charges. Usually on multiple counts.

Addison Lee have a really good app if you are looking for an alternative and you can track those journeys too. I’ve mixed feelings about Uber. It’s certainly convenient but their drivers are always driving while distracted. One rear ended my car while I was stopped at a red traffic light. Clearly looking at his phone for the next job.

If they are banned for a decent period, it would at least instigate some change. Maybe other cities would follow suit.

In Dublin you can use the Uber app to hail a taxi, but a normal licenced taxi just turns up and the fare is on the meter.

I like the sound of that.

All these drivers will just change apps not attitude I recon.

2 Likes

Is “gave in” the ways kids say “did not break the law then obeyed a court ruling” these days?

Addison lee
You cant vouch for their driving, they have got to be the worst in London. No mirror/signal just MANOEUVRE :joy:

1 Like