Tyres : must have same manufacturer front and back?

The rear BT-021 tyre of my CBF600 needs replacing and was was thinking of putting the Dunlop Roadsmart on instead. (not that i am not happy with the BTs mind you)

I have BT-021 on the front as well, so the question is:

Should i stick with the same manufacturer front and back (go with BT-021) again
or does it not matter if you have a different rear tyre than the front? :unsure:

thanks

like all things, it depends :slight_smile: some manufacturers insist on certain front/back combinations, so if you go counter to that you may leave yourself open to problems with your insurance, best to ask the advice of the proffesionals, personally, I have had bikes with mismatched tyres and its never caused me a problem, back in the day TT100 front and RoadRunner rear was a well thought of combo, as it speeded up the steering without causing the bike to “flop” into a corner like TT100’s front and back.

Legally doesn’t matter so long as they’re of the same construction i.e. radial - which they will be. However I would be a little wary because different manufacturers will produce tyres whose shape and profile will be different and you may notice it feeling odd as you corner, although unless you are Mr V.Rossi, I doubt very much you’ll be getting close enough to the tyres limits for it to really matter. I always used to be quite anal about the tyres on my bikes though and would never mismatch them.

Ive got different tyres on my 'bird as the front is outlasting the rear on an almost 3 to 1 ratio, best slow down a bit :smiley:

front is a maxxiss which is fairly soft but grippy and rear is BT021more hard wearing both good wet or dry and warm up very quick :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

Don’t do it! Had Bridgestones BT020s (I think - OEM) on my VFR and due to rear puncture when on tour replaced it with a Michelin Pilot Road. Completely knackered the handling and pulled to one side when breaking. Changed the front to a Pilot Road 2CT (i.e. same as PR but with dual compound) and handled wonderfully again. I’m not a riding God, and yet could really feel impact. Most manufacturers don’t recommend mixing brands due to the variation in profile which will really affect turning in. i.e. front & rear end turn in at different rates…:w00t:

ehem… bt020 - hard, touring tyre on the front and 2ct ( light and flexible sports tyre) on the back? no wonder you were having problems riding straight. on the other hand i have to say i’ve never bought a new set of tyres myself, always been on 2nd hand ones, and as long as you go by the rule of softer front than rear, you won’t be far off.

Not 2CT – just the old Pilot Road / single compound as was only suitable tyre they had in the nearby bike shop thus had no choice. On return got front (which didn’t have a huge amount of wear left) swapped for 2CT, then shortly after the (rear) Pilot Road punctured irreparably, so changed that for a Pilot Road 2CT to match the front. To sum up:

Brigdestone BT020 (F) and Pilot Road ® – Horrible.
Pilot Road 2CT (F) – and Pilot Road ® – Pretty good
Pilot Road 2CT (F) – and Pilot Road 2CT ® – Excellent, with far better performance & longevity from the 2CT’s than the Bridegstones

Completly fine to have different tyres

As fronts and rears always wear at different rates there will always be the possibility of different grip, different profile and different handling when you change one tyre but not the other even if fitting the same tyre make etc.