Trustworthy scrappie

Is there such a thing? We have a 53 plate Toyota verso that is pretty much knackered. It was super reliable in it’s day but had too much needing doing so was uneconomical to repair. Anywho, I was going to gift to the fire service to practice on but they no longer do that and I have a deep mistrust of scrappies. I really don’t want this being sold to some poor schmuck later on down the line. Any ideas?

You can get about £300 for it scrap. Boris sold his classic golf that way. They even complete the paperwork for you. Not sure who he used though.

Here’s one near me.

https://www.cartakeback.com/

Whack it on FB for a few hundred as spares or repair, sold my old one in 20 minutes

1 Like

I share your mistrust. My brother sold his to a scrappy, two months later got an fpn for speeding in Scotland

Easy enough to prove wasn’t him as he kept paperwork but still a ballache

The only other option is if you know a local garage that might take it.

When my Mr bucket, a shitry ford fiesta was proving too much, my local mech offered to buy it off me for £100 and he said he planned to fix it and use it as a courtesy car. In the end I sold it to dealer I bought my new car for same price…

I used this at the start of the year https://www.acebreakers.co.uk/

Also this looked at this company as well, a mate used them https://www.redcorn.co.uk/

Google ASM

Can do the V5 transfer online between 7am-7pm as well so there’s zero question on ownership.

1 Like

We used Autobreak enter car reg and postcode on the website for an instant quote. They collected the car within 2 days, we got paid the day after collection and a certificate of destruction was received in the post a week later.

I used Redcorn in Tottenham when I scrapped my van. I had to have the documents all correct to make a TFL scrappage claim. They were efficient and completed the paperwork as I waited. It’s a large operation and they seem to know what they’re doing.

1 Like

Thanks to all for the replies, a wealth of knowledge as always. I’ll give Redcorn a try as their online tool has given me a decent price.

1 Like

“Certificate of destruction.” Sounds good.

any idea how realistic the online price is?

just put my mg in as ive been meaning to sell it, and it says £314 (£40 more then i bought it for with an MOT).
im assuming they arrive and offer a lower figure, but it says quote…

Boris that’s content for a trolling clickbait YouTube video if ever there was one.

The scrap value should be on weight so you’d think the quote would be accurate.

1 Like

When I scrapped the Saab they paid exactly what was quoted, a pre-printed cheque was given to me when they collected it.

1 Like

Was about a year and a half ago, think the price they quoted was what they paid.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve always used local scrappies who have a habit of lowering the offer

The online offers tend to be honoured providing the vehicle is complete

I sold a banger on Gumtree for £250 few years back. Dodgy russian bloke turned up and bought it without a test drive. He even refused to give me the name for the v5 transfer until I said I wouldn’t sell it without one. Makes a phone call and then gives me a name.

Pretty sure he just wanted an unmarked car for some drug smuggling / ferry runs. Gumtree has all sorts of sh*t on it, so sure it would go pdq.

1 Like

Yeah, always potential for it to be dodgy but with the online V5 transfer these ays it can be done instantly

1 Like