TROOPS TO PATROL BRITISH STREETS!!!

also MI5 use So19 and UKSF boys.

I’ve watched SAS boys do CQB(Close quarter battle) drills or FIBUA(Fighting in built up areas), but thats more clearing towns than actual room to room which CQB is.

i know what you mean mate…they are so highly trained that the jumped up civvy would not be walking away full stop!! besides if that started happenning there would start to be inquests and feckin inquiries against the soldier on riot duty in question!!

Wouldn’t call it “highly”… just very good at soldiering. In hand to hand combat they are the same as anybody else,we were taught basic stuff,last time it was used was the Falklands(my dad was there), just fitness and determination they win hands down.Where Paras(my brother is a para, trianed medic, ex-royal marine), are well known for not engaging brain and going in guns blazing, not all obviously but a larage majority.

[quote]
Roadrunner (10/02/2010)

Actually, there is still a squadron on standby at Credenhill on Black Role (Counter Terrorism operations), but these days a lot of their time is spent training and assisting police forces to do their job without having to enact Aid to the Civil Power, like at Princes Gate. That and hosting teams from other nations to see how the pro’s do it :wink:

And on the SRR issue… it’s true that the weapons described by the public that the two ‘officers’ were carrying were G3 shorties (definitely not a police weapon) and the fact they shot him so many times is a very non-police way of going about things, so it could easily have been SRR/22/SBS etc

got the job done proper?

30 yrs they where there and ended up leaving the way they came in - under a barage of rocks

the army ended up leaving northern ireland hated by both sides of the community

the army actually went to northern ireland to defend the catholics…

over the yrs, it turned against them.

i dont know who was worse.

the catholics for welcoming the british army in the first place, then claiming they were an occupying force, or the british army for pissing every single person in the country off.

job well done?

i think bring the troops in

let everyone really see what goes on when you have troops patrolling the streets

Well I’m no expert in Special Forces nor do I know who roams our streets with goodness knows what under their clothing, be it flowing gowns or made by Levis.

But, surely if the law side of the street up-arms by bringing in soldiers, won’t the non-law side of the street see it as a challenge and simply up-arm too?

Plus, as I have reservations about the average copper’s ability with a gun I have reservations about the average squaddie’s ability to deal with law-enforcement. Likewise isn’t/wasn’t one of the main problems in Iraq that the soldiers are/were being asked to be policemen which is a completely different skillset to soldiering?

I don’t accept that there are any situations which require the equivalent of ‘calling in the National Guard’ as they would in the States, and having troops roaming the streets is simply going to scare the population and draw precious troops away from where they are needed.

How soldiers would adjust after a tour of Afghanistan and then coming home for a tour on London streets? Seriously?

Should the crap hit the fan then of course bring them in to assist the police, to bolster teams and resources. But otherwise, more coppers please. More Barrys and Steves especially.

Sorry Nath I don’t agree about the Army being used in that way.

It’s not a paramilitary force - it’s a Fighting Force that’s used and structured to respond to threats to UK borders and to meet the UK’s responsibilities to NATO and The UN. It’s a Tool of UK Foreign Policy - not Domestic Policy.

We have a serious problem with our Democratic process if we were to rely on the Armed Forces to bolster Police numbers in matters of civil disobedience. State of War is another matter of course but how bad would things look if the Poll Tax Riot was ended by Troops - this isn’t some third World Banana Republic after all…

I agree with you to a certain extent, but the best thing about the military is its way of adapting to a situation. I’m not saying it should be rolled out to support the Police in everyday events of crowd control, or that they should be on call to “beat back” the rioters! I’m only saying that they could be used in extreme circumstances, and perhaps if the Police lines are going to be too thinly spread!
We may have thousands of Police Officers in the Met, but not all are Sheild Trained to the appropriate levels and even the ones who are can be subject to illness, shifts etc… This leads to a lack of personnel and the guys on the ground doing stupidly long hours on a Police Line (exhausting in itself), before being sent away for a small amount of hours sleep (Sometimes in the back of a van because it’s pointless to even try and get home to sleep) prior to doing another rediculously long day! Tempers get frought, decisions are made carelessly though stress and lack of sleep, and the next thing you know there are casualties on both sides because of the smallest bit of trouble.
this could be made easier by using some troops to cover the easier, less troublesome areas, away from the mainstream protests etc… Boring work, but needed nevertheless.
Also, I would imagine that the troops would have no problem being deployed without firearms! If they’re not needed, they wouldn’t carry them! :wink:

Lets not forget that the original statement of this thread was more about using the Armed Forces in “Extreme” circumstances! I don’t think there is talk of Northern Ireland style patrolling of the rougher neighbourhoods, or curfews etc… (Which coincidently is already being done by the Armed Police! :wink: )

You make a fair point Nat that this was about ‘extreme circumstances’ and of course more boots on the ground / throats of the offenders would be most excellent.

On reflection, and with your far more experienced opinion, I can appreciate that perhaps the training for the two services (police and Armed Forces) is likely to be closer now than it’s ever been. A good thing too I suspect.

Anyway, the Army are probably the only ones who can remember how to operate a Green Goddess :w00t:

:P:P:P:P:P

professionalism? you mean the professional manner things were handled in my homeland?

not from the stories ive heard from numerous sources…

Everyones got sources and everyones got there own opinion…

Putting British troops on our ground wouldn’t have a huge effect…Only Anti-British would kick off and hopefully get shot:)

IMHO, we should of left Ireland well alone and let them kill each other.:slight_smile:

left ireland alone? like they left it alone when they decided on plantation, to prevent rebellions??

They brought up generations of people there, who like myself it is home, british blood, born and bred british, in northern ireland.

Shall we also leave the falklands alone? and Gibralter? and numerous other places around the world?

someones alittle confused:doze:

Ive left this thread well alone as for my own reasons…but i will defend what i wrote in the preveous statement.

Like RR said…your MK 1 British Soldier is genrally a switched induvidual. I say genral as some do slip through the net but even they see sence in a every short space in time with the help of his mukkers dishing out a few kickins to steer him/her in the right direction.FACT.

keeping your sh1t togeather is very important and keeping phuckups to a minimam is paramount…The army frown on any propaganda phuch ups.

What people fail’d to realise about ireland was we had to stick closley to that bastard ‘yellow card’ which for those who dont know…were the rules of engagement…and by engagement…i mean all scenareos…the natives also knew about the yellow cards and what they contained which made it very difficult in respect to knowing how far to push without action…

heres the guest tho…

this ment having to think and to rethink everything i did and questioning myselfself in sometimes ‘hot’ situations too which …its like a fking pressure cooker if im totally honest.

so…to wrap up…i feel that the british soldier walking the streets everyday under the microscope of the press (waiting for them to fcuk up at every opertunity) trying to do the best job they can while fighting an enemy too chicken shit to wear their own uniforms while being targeted every day of your life is one i’ll share a fkin bar stool with…

job done?..i left while others would never get the chance…too fkin right…

i’ll quote this again from steve wright…

and you wonder why i feel the way i do about the place?

shane.

My fav trick of the Irish was to beat dogs with uniforms on for days…

Then releasing them onto the street to attack British army boys…

My dads mate shoot 4 dogs in a day.

Its a “conflict” I gladly missed.

RofE are gash, saved many a terroists life.:slight_smile:

RoE are necessary to prevent pointless waste of life. It’s the way that the rules of engagement are written and interpreted that is gash.

For example, Doug Beattie, in his book, says how in the first half of his tour, they didn’t touch ‘dickers’ because they didn’t think that they could engage them inside the RoE as they didn’t present a ‘clear danger to life or limb’ (or something like that.)
Then, some senior Brass comes down from Whitehall, asks if they have any questions. A sergeant in Beattie’s OMLT asks about dickers in the RoE, and the brass says “They are presenting the same danger to you as an insurgent with an AK. Shoot them.”

And thus, the next time they saw a dicker, they drilled him, and they were not dicked again.