Transporting a bike...

Found a nice little KTM I am looking into and am trying to see how I can get there and buy it…

Problem is train would be 4.5 hrs to get there and am considering renting a van also because the fare is quite expensive…

Question is: What extra bits and pieces do I need to get the bike secured in the van, and would the standard vans you get from somewhere like Enterprise do the job?

I’m guessing I’d also need a ramp to get the bike on there and I doubt very much the seller has one…

Bottom line is: Are there any companies that I could rent a van that’s ready for this sort of thing?

Put a job up on http://www.shiply.com/ or http://www.uship.com/ ??

Pretty sure I’ve seen bike transportation jobs on there before… Have used uship for something else a few weeks ago & found it to be very good…

i have a ramp that you can use and ratchet straps. even a short wheel transit will do fine. i had both a hornet and gsr in the van no probs :slight_smile:

my friend has a van for bikes but he’s down in shooters hill.

i can ask how much he wants to rent it for you but its subject to availability as he uses it for racing.

Get in touch with Adz (Adam). I’m sure he can help you Serrisan :slight_smile:

Google yields loads of results for motorcycle transportation UK, can’t recommend any though as I’ve never used any.

All I can say is that if that sumo is a long way away, do your arse a favour and get it transported in a van - I am talking from experience there :wink:

Congrats on the bike though! :smiley:

Cheers for all the advice… will go into more search mode once I get a chance at work! Yeah definitely looking at the van route now as 180miles on a SM is going to result in one sore bum…

Haven’t bought it yet or been able to secure it as the guy has someone else going to see it within the week (or so he said) so it’s not a done deal yet!

Carry a racing bike in a Ford Transit no problem. Plank for a ramp and ratchet straps to hold bike etc. Couple of tyres for padding etc. Never a problem

I did 260 miles. Never again! :smiley: Terry-moto done 400 miles on his once I think!

just ride it back… :ermm: whats the point of getting a bike you dont wanna ride?

just plan your journey to 55 miles between petrol stops, ish:laugh:

exactly my thoughts on the whole SM thing…

It’s 4.5 hrs on the train to get there from Epsom!!! F*ck that…

Also - I’m not buying the KTM to ride long distances… don’t need to go far on a ktm to have fun :wink:

The other option then is buy a KTM from nearer than 260 miles away. It’ll probably cost more, but look closely at how much it’s costing you to pick up this one…

I got a 5 hour train journey from london to flint (north wales) and then rode 5 hours back the long way to get my gixxer!!!

Problem is finding a good one… not the price so much tbh…

Anyhoo if worst comes to worst that is what I’ll do but I thought I would explore the options - If I can get it in more comfort, why have the hassle of the train?

Where is 260 miles away BTW? Manchester?

also bear in mind, serrisan doesnt start any journey before 1pm so will likely be coming back in the dark :stuck_out_tongue:

I never said 260… it was 180 in my case… Plymouth

What can I say - I ain’t an early morning person… :smiley:

SM have headlights right?