Track day help

Hey…

I am quiet new in the forum.
I did 2 trips with some people here and going in the 3rd one next month.

I want to do a track day and learn better how to do the bends.
I never being in a track and I ride a CBR 600rr. I want to do some tracks this year before get cold.

Any advice where to look, where to go… any tip in general…

Is any track day on the weekend or just week days?

any help is appreciate.

thanks

No use us repling then:)

best is to take the plunge and book yourself on one in the novice group and take it from there…
A few of us are going to be a Brands Hatch on Monday 14th of September so feeel free the join up and we should be able to give you some pointers as needed on the day.
Brands Hatch GP

quite a few companies out there like Focussed Events, Hottrax and No Limits. their websites have the track, dates and availability.

there are weekend trackdays although they are relatively fewer in number as normally thats when the club racing and other events take place.

These are often also ‘quiet’ trackdays with a 98db limit so will depend if you have an aftermarket exhaust with a baffle and whether it is quiet enough to take part if it is a restricted day

there are both daytime and evening trackdays at most tracks, priced accordingly. a day track day will give you 6-7 sessions, and evening maybe 4 (altho you are on and off every 20 mins which can be more tiring)

there are normally a lot more posts about trackdays but this year I think everyone has been feeling the pinch a bit. you’re welcome to book and join in with the people going on any of the posts, otherwise people are very friendly on trackdays so its fine to go on your own and get involved.

In terms of tracks, it does sort of depend where you are in london. Riding to and from a trackday (as well as doing the trackday inbetween!) can be pretty tiring. So if you are close to the M1 (north london), then Silverstone and Rockingham are easy to get to. Opinions are split as to which of these is better, but rockingham do more on the weekend (hottrax seem to go there a lot)

If you are south london then Brands is easy to get to within the hour, and is a great track (there are two configurations, the GP which is bigger but less frequently offered as a track day and the indy which is a great learner track, still technical, but short enough to learn on, and both have paddock which is an amazing bend).

Brands does not tend to have that many weekend dates, but they do more evening ones.

Look at Hottrax, great company to do td’s with. http://www.hottrax-online.com/

If you’ve already done a couple you know the format. It’s well worth getting some tuition from the instructors. Hottrax are usually free I think, they will follow you then go in front to show you correct lines through some of the corners.

Buy a book called’ Twist of the Wrist’ by Keith Code. Loads of info in there to keep you busy for a while :slight_smile:

I’ve heard some pretty crappy reports from hottrax days recently.

No Limits are very novice friendly, FE are pretty good - free instruction at both.

could do the ron haslam race academy, get to use there bike which is a cbr 600 rr so there’s no worry about dropping your’sd for the first trackday

www.haslamraceschool.com

imo its worth the £260 as ya get a day of tuition, the use of there bike and equipment if need be all for not more than the cost of a usual trackday

Why crappy, dude? Safety issues? Not enough instructors?

I tend to use NL because Mark does instruction with them. Ive done MSV and FE days before and although I prefer the format of the NL days, I will still go on an FE day if I cant get on a NL one or its not convenient. I dont like the MSV days because they tell you in the briefing not to overtake on corners.

Not been on a Hottrax one, but have a number of friends that instruct with them and swear by them.

What’s the issue youve come across?

Crazy Little Monkey, have a look at this :slight_smile:

Track taster

The most recent one was cadwell when a friend had booked in inters and his lady in novice. On the day, both of those contained riders from fully kitted race teams and they didn’t give the novices and inters riders out there much room when they were flying past.

My friend said the organiser appeared to be more interested in those guys than the “regular” customers. It’s his opinion of course - I’m just reporting what I was told.

I love No Limits, they would be my first choice in the UK. However, I have to find dates that fit in with my work and so I do a lot of FE, which I have never had a problem with.

BTW - I did Brands with MSV just before I left the UK to come here. I was please to find the briefing was much shorter and they appeared to have a more realistic approach to overtaking.

Only about 15 riders in the fast group too!

GUYS… REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP. SORRY DIDNT REPLY BEFORE.
I am looking this links and they are really helpful.
I will book something to October and see how it goes.

Afro, thanks for the link as well. But i think I would like to take a full track day and see how it is…
Lets see.
I will follow here to see if got some day I can do.

thanks again.

i will do one with you as it will be my first track day. although im confident on the bends on the road already. just wanna be able to push my bike a little harder:)

Hey Anne,

let me know when can you do it.
I am looking all the links that this guys gave me. I am just worry about noise test. Not sure how much noise my bike makes.
I just changed my exhauster for a Yoshimura Race RS-5… it is nice, but a bit loud, not sure if it is of for nights track.

Did you change just the end can or the whole system? Also have you removed the baffle? If you have the baffle that came with it, then putting it in should be fine. MY gsxr750K1 with an Akropovic end can without baffle makes about 100/101db

[/quote]

Did you change just the end can or the whole system? Also have you removed the baffle? If you have the baffle that came with it, then putting it in should be fine. MY gsxr750K1 with an Akropovic end can without baffle makes about 100/101db
[/quote]

I CHANGED JUST THE END CAN NOT THE WHOLE SYSTEM. THE YOSHIMURA FULL CARBO HAS ONLY RACE, SO NO BAFFLE ON IT… SO I THINK IF YOUR WITHOUT BAFFLE MAKES ABOUT 100/101DB I SHOULD BE OK ON MY… I HOPE SO.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS ON. I CANT TURN OFF RIGHT NOW.

CHEERS

Should be OK, but if you want to be safe then I am sure you could get a baffle from somewhere :slight_smile:

Crazy little monkey;

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT TRACKDAYS BECOME ADDICTIVE

After getting a gift voucher at christmas for a track eve at Brands, i’ve now paid and done another eve at Brands and two days at Lydden Hill. I knackered my rear PP 2ct on the right hand side (clockwise tracks= more right handers) as you can see from a couple of pic’s i’ve attachted. New rear on order then I can get my fix again :smiley:

Places like Brands and Lydden really get to the right side.

I turn my rear tyres before they have died. That last day at Lydden I was using a turned rear supercorsa, it had done a day at Brands on the Monday before that way 'round too!

I have 3 sets of wheels, drys, wets and I use the 3rd rear for turned tyres. Seeing as my most fantastic dealer will turn the tyre for a fiver, it’s extended tyre life and saved me money.