TomTom Rider 2 not charging on the bracket

Hi guys and gals, I have a TomTom Rider 2 bracket on my bike (yeah I know, lame, but i HATE getting lost and wasting time looking for places) and the Tom Tom charges fine at home, but not on the bracket anymore.

On the bracket there are 4 pins, and I pulled out my trusty multimeter and started checking the resistance of the pins. I get no readings once the first 2 pins are involved, but if I touch multimeter on the last 2 pins I get a reading… Probably too high a reading for my liking… I can’t remember though, was a few weeks ago…

Questions -

Anyone knows if only those last 2 pins are the ones required for charging?? Or shoudl I be getting a continuity reading on all 4 pins?

I have not looked further in the wiring, but at one point in time it would be charging for a little while and next I check it is not… So definitely a connection problem or wiring problem, just wondering if anyone knows which pins should show continuity, before I start tracing wires under tank, inside frame etc…

Thanks a bunch for any advice / tips!!!

Jason.

Sorry I posted this in the gadgets section as well… Realised this is probably a better place for it… Mods can remove the post in the gadgets section if desired…

I had a similar problem with my garmin, which it turned out that 2 pins had weathered slightly and the connection was only completed once i cleaned them. I dont know if it is the same as the Tom tom but might help to get something to clean off the contact points, also worth checking no kinks in the power feed, as this could cause a split in the wires.

i had the same problem. The Tom Tom only charges via USB.

The repairs cost outweighs the value of the sat nav so you can get around this by buying a USB car charger…

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&biw=1515&bih=737&q=usb+car+charger&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=628737789876438697&sa=X&ei=0dqmTfqaEcmxhAfbpZjSCQ&ved=0CFMQ8wIwAg

you can get em cheaper on fleabay:)

Thanks for advice so far!!!

I have cleaned the contacts already…

I do not have a ciggy lighter on my bike, unfortunately…

so are you wired direct to the battery?have you checked you have 12+V coming down the lead?I had the exact same problem with my TTR2 a while ago and cleaning the contacts on the holder and on the back of the unit solved it.

Thanks, I am not wired direct to battery…

I will give it another go at cleaning all contacts…