To scam or not to scam...

lol I had this once and just binned it, oh well never mind you live you learn.

As stated it may just be legit. Youre the seller lay down what you want and how you want it done and if thats not how they want to play tell them to bog off.

What would be the point of draging a scam out if its almost impossible to trace the person…

Personally id have already told the tw*t to bugger off. Way too up themselves

The wording is classic scam. Why am I not surprised the word gumtree was also involved.

coz its fun!! and if he is a scammer you are wasting his time stopping him carry out other scams

I has something similar when I sold an old bike on Gumtree. I strung them along for a bit (acting really dumb to wind them up) and one of his replies started going on about the deposit on my flat !??! Tw@ts.

I would just tell them cash or no sale. I wouldn’t string them along as you never know what they are like and what kind of contacts they have in the UK.The alternative is to agree to their payment by cheque but wait the maximum timescale it might bounce in before you release the goods - what would that be, three months to be on the safe side? Your bank should be able to advise you about that. And I definitely wouldn’t get involved in their shipping arrangments, they should do that themselves, that seems suspicious to me and far too many things can go wrong in my view.

If you do string them along and find out they are in Nigeria and what their address is, you can always ask Blue Lagos to check how legit they are (but he might need a team of bodyguards :w00t: ). On second thoughts, best not.

You lot are a suspicious bunch :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like a top deal to me…now if you’ll all just post up your bank account details and pm me your mothers maiden name… :slight_smile:

As mentioned, take a look at this site http://www.419eater.com/index.php

Really funny, and an education in how to bait these people! :wink:

Have fun! :smiley:

String him along / string him up

:slight_smile:

I had exactley this same thing when I sold a car infact I got a shed load of emails then one that appeared to be genuine like yours then wanting my “best” price and photos like the 12 in the advert wasnt enough!! I Emaild him that I would give him the car free of charge the only thing I ask that he come to my home address and suck me off but had to keep constant eye contact while doing so. He mailed back saying I didnt understand and what was my “best” price for the car I’m not sure he understood it was a clean car and a fair trade if you ask me…

There is a forum totaly devoted to scamming scammers my mate at work uses it some of the stories are worth a read!! www.419eater.com:slight_smile:

ScamScamScamScamScamScamScamScamScamScamScamScamScamScam

If you are going to play, read 419Eaters guide to playing the scam. Make
sure you always remember these are serious organised international
criminals and can be dangerous.

Now thats a WIDE post !

I had a chap call me last week from HSBC.

Went something like this.

Him

Hello Mr *****

I’m calling from HSBC about your credit card.

We just need to go through some security questions.

What is you mother’s maiden name.

Me

How do I know you’re from HSBC?

Him

I can’t discuss your account until you give me the information I need.

Me

I closed my HSBC account a few years ago so why would you be ringing me now?

Him

I can’t discuss your account until you give me the information I need.

Me

Err I think not.

I then phoned HSBC to confirm they had no account idle for me which they did.

Apologies for over zealous use of paste!

My email to him yesterday:

Hi again,

As I asked in my last email… Where are you based?
Also, please could you give me your phone number and your address so we can talk?

Thanks

Shauna

His response at 1:45am this morning…

Hello ,

I’m from belfart… feel free to call me here 07024033763.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=07024033763

From the first link on google:

"August 2010 - SCAM ALERT

Please note that if you receive an email enquiring about your dress with similiar wording to any of those below, that it is a “cashback” scam.

You should NEVER sell to anyone who:

offers more money than the dress is worth or to any male buyers"

Message from Mcstevenson Harry.
Contact via [email protected] or 07024033763

In response to your advert, i’m interested in your advert and do get back to me with the full present condition,and the bottom price including the picture.

Best Regards.
McStevenson Harry.

anyone that didn’t realize this was a scam straight away - please never sell anything online…

:laugh: @ “Belfart”.

Well I had never heard of the “cashback” scam and having googled it myself it is clear that’s what this is.

Thanks to the OP for posting this thread, and subsequent posters for raising awareness of this and possibly preventing others from being fleeced.

Apparently it’s been going on for some years - this article (with a useful link at the bottom to some Met Police advice) - is six years old.

The Met advice states “You cannot 100% safely trust any draft or transfer from a foreign bank. Months, even years after it has been credited to your account it could be recalled.” The moral of that is never, ever accept payment by means of a foreign bank’s cheque or banker’s draft.

Thats my friend Dave! I thought I recognised the writing. :smiley: