Tiger 1050

nice choice of bike mate! love the new look of the tigers, miss my older 955i.

Comments;

1. Run in is still a nightmare. Its restricted up to 1k miles. 1K!! (-)
  2. panniers are huge. Filtering is a mare. (-)
  3. Engine is sweeeeeeeeeeeet! (+)
  4. Very stable and corners so well considering the weight and centre of gravity. very flickable. (+)
  5. Low speed cornering needs some getting used to following the CB1000R (-/+)
  6. Throttle freeplay is not set up correctly. Needs a tweak but is a task to do (remove fairing and tank etc etc to get to the tweaker), gonna give them strict instuctions on the service on monday (n/a)
  7. Back brake is pantaloonies. Even dragging around corners is not planted and little feedback does not help scrubbing off speed (-)
  8. Front brake does not have much feedback either, think its the stock braded lines. Despite this they are very strong. Gotta be carefull, grab and your off for sure. (+/-)
  9. Soo comfortable its silly. (++)
  10. Sticky grippy tyres suit the bike to perfection. (+)
  11. Suspension sucks up everything you throw at it. (+)
  12. Chicken strips? No way, the bike is planted and drops to full lean no problems (++)

Overall, well pleased, I got it as a workhorse, and horse it is :slight_smile:

gorgeous bike!

Thought I’d update anyone who cares with how the Tiger 1050 is going.

I’ve finished the run in and can open her up now. This bike has got a big kick.
Open up the throttle and the back end hunkers down and it leaps off the spot and keep going till you sh@t yourself. :slight_smile: Past 7k rpm and the engine is litteraly roaring - its fecking great! Its got a linear predictable power delivery and bundles of torque.

The only real issue is fueling at low speed which could be better, but some carefull clutch control soon brings this issue under the heel.

Theres a lovely burble on the overrun, “pop, pop, murmer” when rolling of the throttle that keeps me endlessly entertained :slight_smile:

The back brake has bedded in a bit now (or maybe ive got used to it) and seems better than at first. Ive adjusted the peddle position uip a bit and its certainly more tactile.

I’m really falling for this bike, enjoying every moment on it. I love to rip off the pannier at the weekends and go for a blast, I swear this bike is faster than the CB1000R it fecking flies! Compared to the Tiger the CB1kR feels so sterile… The tigers got character and charm.

The seating position is tall and commanding and insanely comfortable. You have a slight pitch forward to the bars that give the bike and agressive stance. Its certainly more a sportsbike than an adventure.

Anyway really loving it now, dont regret a moment.

glad you are enjoying the bike mate and thanks for the update?

whats the rear shock like? as i have read loads of negative comments about it?

Preload needs cranking up high to be of any use, or its wollowy in mid corner. I’ve heard they dont last long either, we’ll see.

and you gotta love the sound of the triple, im taking delivery of my speed triple tommorrow cant wait!:w00t:

Morning

Ive just picked up one in white, thanks to the great guys at Destination Triumph in Washington, Sussex.

Loving the comfort but am a little unsure about the stock rubber, seems a little bit twitchy on wet roads, especially manhole covers and lines. Had a Hornet before with Pilot Race 2CTs and that seemed a lot more sure footed.

Anyone had the same problem ? maybe its just part of the package !

Not noticed any twitchyness myself, took a bit to adjust to the higher centre of gravity over the CB1000R but it comes natural now. My stock tyres have done just over 9k and have loads of wear left, but maybe thats coz I ride like a poof.

I absolutely love this bike, you made a good choice, looks lovely in white also.

Hey Markovich, nice choice of bike mate - I had one in black for almost a year now and like Red I’m loving it!

The only twitchiness I’ve had was when taking a corner over the cobblestones round Covent Garden the other day… Won’t be doing that so fast again!

Enjoy - and get yourself over to the forum at tiger1050.com if you haven’t found it already :o)

I’m seriously considering a Tiger 1050

However, I’m still loving my Aprilia Falco, so far it’s the best bike I’ve owned (previously had Ducati 900ss for nearly 10 years(!) before that FJ1200, and 11 bikes before that stretching back to when I was 17 – in 1974!) Commuting is a nightmare on any bike but the low bars on the Falco and somewhat restricted vision is a pain. It scratches well though and the aggressive riding position eggs me on to attack the corners, when I have a chance.

But I test rode a Tiger and a 675 at Bulldog Triumph (Twyford) earlier this year. Loved 'em both. Wanted both. The loony side of me is loosing out a bit these days as I’m trying to stay alive long enough to see the kids grow up. So the Tiger wins.

I’d like an SE but there’s no special deals on those and they are expensive.

What I’d like to know is what the clutch is like now you’ve got some miles on your bike. I was gob-smacked when I noticed it was a friggin’ cable clutch – that takes me back about 20 years! The FJ and the Ducati had hydraulic clutches. Nearly £10k for a bike and you get a cable clutch!!

Also how is it for night-time riding?

I notice you said you take the panniers off at the weekends. Presumably you filter through traffic as you go to work with those panniers on. Aren’t they a liability?

Anyway Red, it’s about time you gave us another instalment of how your Tiger’s going.

Thanks in anticipation! :smiley:

Rog.

whats wrong with a cable clutch? :slight_smile:

More than happy to update you FN, but first I will answer some of your questions to the best of my ability;

>>I’d like an SE but there’s no special deals on those and they are expensive.

The black paint on the SE tank is matt and marks very easily, difficult to keep pristine (if thats your thing).

*>What I’d like to know is what the clutch is like now you’ve got some miles on your bike. *

Its like butter. Smooth and good with toast (?)

>Also how is it for night-time riding?

Terrible. The lights are appauling, verging on dangerous. HID kit or Aux. lights should be the first upgrade you go for. They do make a nice pattern ont he road in front of you though, some may say it looks like a tigers face…

>>I notice you said you take the panniers off at the weekends. Presumably you filter through traffic as you go to work with those panniers on. Aren’t they a liability?

They occasionally restrict you filtering, but when you ride as much as I do in central london trafic you soon get a very very good idea how wide your bike is. Occasionally I still have to move over to allow the thinner chaps through.

>>Anyway Red, it’s about time you gave us another instalment of how your Tiger’s going.

I have to say after 10177 miles the bike is running better than it ever has. The engine has smoothed, I’ve solved some of the surging at low speed by tweaking the throttle free play and chain tension and bunging on the Triumph accessory silencer and TOR ECU map (sweet noise!). The gearbox has worked out all of its ideosyncracies and now is smoother than a totaly waxed lady covered in oodles of baby oil (mmmmmm).

It seems this bike grows up at about 10k on the clock and settles down. I have had to change front pads and thats about it. Still on original tyres. No oil leaks, no coolant loss, no coolant decolouration, the bike is sweet as a nut and I prefer it better now than I did when I got it in March.

Lights are still sh1te though, I have a set of SWMotech Auxilliary lights to attach when I get a chance (excellent builod quality btw and fit onto the crash bars.

This bike is a work tool for me, and it is perfect for it. That said I took a 2k trip around the Uk this year on it, and it was faultless.

Heres some pics from wales and the isle of man…

Attachments

100_0595a.gif

Image2a.gif

Image1a.gif

Image3a.gif

Got to agree with everyone! Looks the business dunnit! I’m not sure how long my knees will be happy with being hunched over the Hornet and other small bikes. Sooner or later a big upright is in my future and the Tiger is appealing. Will be keen to hear how you get on.

(very drunk right now.)

Thank you for your replies. Didn’t mean to slag off the cable clucth. S’funny though, thought hydraulic was the biz.

So Tiger’s good apart from the lights. How about that gearbox (4’th?) and the rear shock?

I’ll probably buy one, just need the missus to agree to a 675 or similar as well.

All the best,

Rog.

Gear box is clunky at first but smooths out over time. I think it takes 8-10K miles to run this bike in TBH :wink:

Could be better wollows a bit and needs stiffening from stock. The 2010 Tiger has an Ohlins shock I believe, so they know theres a problem.

I asked today when I got me Aux lights installed about the upgrades for the 2010 version, 30 quid a piece for the anodised brake reserv’s, 70 quid for the new bars, 760 quid for the shock. WTF. 760 ??

Anyway the 2010 version look smore refined for sure. Maybe you should wait till March and save up a bit :wink:

Finally that 675 is the business. Took one as a loan bike. Get the missus to take it for a spin, its a cracking bike if a bit uncomfortable…

Now owned since March 09, and 8 months since my last post so heres another update;

Still got the Tiger, but thats not to say that I have not been tempted;

• VFR1200 - nah, to ‘new’ and a bit ugly, too expensive, too small!!
  • FZ1/FZ8, nah too buzzy
  • Speed/Street Triple - not suitable for work (meh)
  • Sprint GT - bit too old man for me?? :wink:
  • and others…

No test-ride has convinced me to load up with debt over another bike, sticking to the Tiger 1050.

I have had no problems whatsoever. It still has not used a drop of oil in almost 18k miles. Adjusted the chain once, one new set of tyres and new pads and thats it.

I lost a bolt from the underside of the bellypan. Thats the only issue I had.

I installed the SWMotech Aux lights. They were pretty good thru winter but corroded fast in the salt, and now they have conked out. Cant figure out why all fuses seem OK, maybe the bulbs have gone.

I also installed a full HID conversion, which is great, BUT I have spent nearly 500 quid on replacement/additional lighting on this bike because the stock lights are rubbish. They have NOT changed them for the 2010 model…

At least I can be seen…

As for overall corrosion bearing in mind its been ridden every day thru the winder (bar deep snow) and on muddy building sites etc, is a good picture. I have slight corrosion on the right hand mirror stalk and some on the exposed metal outlet hose on the LHS of the radiator. The Chain is not great either - a couple of sticky links there despite regular attention…

The rest of the bike is fine (although a few washes and liberal coatings of ACF-50 were applied).

The engine seems to be worse at low speed recently, this could be throttle boddies or whatever (nearing the 18k service), or just its getting warmer/the oil needs chainging. Still under the heel of the clutch control however.

I have had just one major incident. Van turned right across my path when filtering. I have no ABS so it was up to me, luckily the bike did not let me down, fully compressed front end and rear tyre skidding at the last moment before stopping - could have reached out and touched it. Close one. Of course the driver went on his merry way oblivious to neither the impending incident nor my newly soiled undercrackers.

So thats 16 months of ownership, and the only bike I would replace it with is another Tiger. Can’t grumble at that.

Over and out.

Well, about to hit 2 years of ownership in a couple of months. Still going strong, over 25k miles so far.

I am still amazed how well this bike handles the road salt. There is barely a blemish bar a couple of small areas and the sprocket/chain. And I’m not the most vigilant of cleaners for sure.

I have replaced tyres a number of times and pads of course, one new chain and sprocket set and thats it for maintenance.

Theres something going on with the tick over. Its terrible at starting in the cold - needs a new battery. basically if it fails to start in freezing weather often the ECU will reset itself and you have to run a forced adaption to bring it back into line.

My ECU needs reflashing with the TOR tune, the bikes getting even more “poppy” than usual, and the fuel economy has crashed - gonna take it in and get it reflashed next week, also think the lambada sensor may have got some moisture in it. Needs looking at.

The HID conversion has broken the seal on the headlights and they sometimes become misted up a bit. Needs drying out then a bit of mastic.

The SWMotech aux lights are crap. Rusted to hell and back and the relay has got moisture in an rusted to death. They don’t work any more and so are coming off - looking for a suitable replacement as soon as I have some money again.

I have replaced the Brake fluid reservoirs with the Triumph aluminium ones, looks sweet. The brakes are good generally, but need some attention - keep them clean folks or they quickly bind - especially this time of year.

Other then that its fine and still goes like stink. :slight_smile: Its not going anywhere, this bike is a keeper.

Check your IACV lines. If they are leaking, slip some heat shrink over them and that will seal them nicely.Done that on my Sprint RS and it solved the low rev’s issue nicely. Changed the 14mm front MC for a 3/8 one and that is waaay better, sharp and clean on the brakes. 25k on my bike as well now. Recently serviced at TriMoto, no shims needed, all spot on. Must be a good engine, uses no oil either. Using TuneECU you can do your own fuel mapping now and reset errors TPS etc… Check on www.triumphtorque.com for more info. Or google TuneECU.