Thought this might get some reaction...

oh come on - that’s silly. you pull over to the side of the road and get it.

That’s just fuggin toilet:crying:

I’m cross now.

One of the few things the yanks have right is the charge of “Vehicular Homicide”

I hope Karma take care of this in an appropriate manner:cool:

course you do !!f she had sneezed which forced her eyes shut and made her crash then i’d say it was purely an accident.

She reached over to the passenger door to get a tissue…she didnt HAVE to do that.

Ever said something to a loved on in rage and thought Fuc£ shouldnt have said that! Or picked up an obviously red hot baking tray, or closed a door with your fingers still in it???

The point being it was a concious discision she had made! but an accident non the less. As I said before dont be so assuming of your own road abilities! we are ALL capable of making bad discisions/mistakes

yes we are and would expect to be punished accordingly…

agreed photoman …

yes, she shouldnt have reached across the car, but unfortunately we do all make mistakes, and it was unfortunate someone was killed because of it

bloody hell, you lot make me scared of driving my own car for fear i might one day make a mistake and hit a motorbike!

would i be ex-communicated?

again?

:w00t::w00t:

This is so sad, I can’t imagine what his family are going through.

having not heard the case in crt, I’m not sure what the circumstances were for the driver, but the senence sounds quite lenient considering one could easily get a similar one for speeding!

If you know you suffer from hay fever you should ensure you are fit to drive before you get behind the controls of 1 and a half ton lump of steel and attempt to manoevre it at any speed. :wink: And you make sure that you have tissues within easy reach. :slight_smile:

RoSPA say 98% of all accidents can be avoided, therefore thay are not accidents as in the sense of pure and genuine. Some of the H&S manuals you read say there is no such thing as an “accident”.

This was gross negligence and incompetence that cost a man his life. Leaning over to the passenger door to get tissues:exclamationmark: whilst moving. If she was at work and had caused a death through this sort of incompetence she would be looking at a very long stretch at Her Majestys’ and so would her managers.

Yes she has to live with it, but I’ll tell you now I bet no one is saying to her that it was her fault. They’ll all say that it was an unfortunate “accident”.

She never thought far enough ahead to have tissues at hand. Never thought to pull over to the side of the road. Never thought to find a safe place to stop. Never thought that by not looking where she was going she would veer into the path of on coming vehicles. Never thought that her actions caused her to loose control. Never thought that she was at no time not in charge of that 1 1/2 tonne lump of killing machine. And never even thought that she and she alone would be responsible for taking a mans life.

Yeah, it was an “accident”…

be afraid be VERY afraid

mwwha ha ha haaaaaa

seriously though, it’s not the fact she killed a motorcyclist it’s the fact (in my opinion) she did something so VERY stupid it cant just be brushed off as a mistake…and then just getting a slap on the wrists.

unless i’m missing something i cant really see how her sentence could be described as anything else

in that case, im afraid im not gonna see any of you guys the whole summer

I have hayfever, and god forbid i might ride my bike in the off chance i might sneeze riding down the road…

sneezing is ok but if you try and reach into your back pack, grab a tissue and THEN blow your nose through your helmet all without pulling over…

if i could do that i deserve a prize :slight_smile:

nah, back to the topic though, yes, she was stupid and shouldnt have done it, but thers allot of stupidity on the road, including bikers

we’re all human, and all prone to making mistakes, and i really hope none of you lot ever make a mistake that costs someones life…

Considering im a biker, but i also drive a car, its actually extremely nerve wrecking having bikes hovering around me.

in fact, new topic…

I think this incident is just a sign of the way our society is ‘evolving’. When it comes to road use we’re becoming more and more ‘governed’. Sets of road rules, signage, road markings, control points are replacing the ability to think for ourselves and make judgement calls. I recently was in a car with someone who carried out the most outrageous manoeuvre, when I asked him if he hadn’t seen the other car coming he replied, “yes, but it was my right of way”. Big help when the lot of us are lying in hospital beds.

Another thing is that fear (of being injured) is one mechanism that keeps us on our toes, constantly monitoring and analysing what we’re doing and the environment around us. Something most bikers are fully aware off. As manufacturers make cars safer with crumple zones, airbags, ABS, etc., that fear of being hurt is eroded. Most of us know that in years gone by if you hit something at 30 plus mph in a car there was a good chance you’d get hurt, probably badly, so you were constantly on your guard to ensure you didn’t. The very act of driving to do that was more difficult, with un-assisted steering, poor suspension and road grip, poor braking systems. Driving involved a degree of skill and good judgement.

To-day, it’s not unheard off for someone to have a crash at over 70mph and walk away unscathed, and how often have you seen someone driving along with their arm on the door rest, couple of fingers being used to control the steering wheel, with a completely laid back, at rest attitude? The cars are getting safer, while the drivers are getting more potentially dangerous to anyone ‘outside’ of a car.

For me, anyone who is responsible for an accident with a bike, before they’re allowed back behind a wheel they have to have a compulsory 2-3 hours as a pillion. Might make ‘em see things differently.

This is manslaughter.

that takes the ******* ****. I got banned and fined more than that for just doing a friggin wheelie which didnt get more than one foot off the ground in an empty highstreet at midnite.

this country sucks and courts are a shamble.

Someone mentioned the “wrong charge” and CPS. Yup. That’ll do it. Go for the easy winner to keep the statistics up, particularly if the right charge involves real work.

stevewright:That’s why I take 10 mg Loratadine in the morning and still carry “tissues” (aka. kitchen roll) within reach.

Another sht call by the lazy CPS and sht justice as a result.

Not sure what to type. Shock, disbelieve, anger,

That sentence is disgraceful.

Just gobsmacked. Might review my old plans for immigrating to Canada. This country is just a shadow of its former self, and it pains me to have to watch it go further down hill.

Shocking and tragic story. I am suprised that people are clammering for a prison sentence for this driver. How would taking her out of society help anyone- it would just be revenge IMO, not justice. No, she made a mistake with terrible consequences. She may have swerved and had crashed into the poor guy anyway- tissues or not- as others have eluded to she might have just sneezed and lost control of her car, or fallen asleep or had a seizure, or skidded on a cow pat- things like that happen all the time. If I was a judge I’d take her driving licence away, end of.

I thought it might provoke some debate when I found this story!I agree that accidents sometimes just happen. But this doesn’t seem to be one of those instances.

I suffer from hayfever and sometimes a sneeze can come at an inopportune moment. I wouldn’t reach across the width of the car to get a tissue though.

That’s the issue here, the driver admitted to reaching towards the passenger door pocket. If you do that, you cannot be in control of your vehicle properly. It wasn’t the fact that someone sneezed that killed the biker, it was the fact that the driver was not in control of the vehicle through their own, voluntary actions.

Others have posted about receiving harsher punishments for speeding, pulling wheelies etc. Yes, the driver in this instance will have to live with the fact that she killed someone. But that doesn’t mean that she shouldn’t also be punished financially. There surely should to be a tiered structure to the punishment in proportion the consequences of your actions.

Sorry that last sentence sounds a bit poncey, but you know what I mean!

Rant over, let’s go and read some posts about nice things.:slight_smile: