This is why you don't show off..

wing chun if you don’t mind :wink: 2 slightly different systems. eternal arguments over which is better. that’s irrelevant though as it’s all down to the individual fighter – ie. rossi on a 125 would thrash any of us on a litre (well maybe most of us ;)). did you ever train shando?

i know you’re joking chunky but i have to get pedantic on this one. the idea is to be outside of striking range but close enough to be able to get ‘inside’. as soon as the leg goes or any other preparation of strike, close the gap, make any necessary block whilst striking as hard and direct as possible, on a nice weak spot – ie. chin, throat, joint… failing that a good hard shove will take em down (as they’ll have one foot on the floor) and those kicking boys don’t like floor work (again, most of em;)). if you did genuinely try it out you may find his skill and your, errrr mass, may have put you at a disadvantage. saying that i used to train with a fella about 6’5" and a good 20 stone and he was fast as lightning. found that out the hard way :smiley:

feel free to ignore anything i’ve said as i’m not a master and in my opinion the only people that should be telling other people how to do things, are those that have mastered it :slight_smile:

Yes mate indeed I have, 3 years Wing Chun then 5 years Wing Tsun, found the depth of understanding and attitude towards learning that little bit better in WT. I still have a dismantled muk yang jong under my bed! Done a few years wushu before seeing the light and finding WC/WT. I’ve also used it on the ‘street’ a few times as a last resort in the past and cannot fault it.

shando

yeah some people do rate it. a couple of my wc buddies went to wt and loved it. said it was more aggressive than wc. i got bored of all the arguments to be honest! i did just over 3 years wc. started doing kempo alongside it for the final year which pretty much taught me a lot of what i learnt in wc wasn’t actually that practical against another martial artist (wc/wt is another style you don’t really see in ufc!). all the contradictions started doing my head in. had a bike accident then that was it for me! thinking of going back this year though but through a different school.

yeah used it on the street once (someone tried to nick my bike. well he didn’t but i knew he was thinking of it ;)) but ended up employing a bit of kempo and cut his oxygen supply off for a few seconds. he seemed to have a lot more respect for me after that :hehe: it seemed the safer option than the sort of destruction you’re taught in wc!

fair play you got on to the dummy. never got there myself. our teaching structure was very steady to say the least :ermm: that’s the essence though. that and chi sao.

nice one fella :slight_smile:

I’m rather fan of Kung Po myself… yummm:D

Yeah I know what you mean about the arguing. The WT/WC world is fiercely political. I left as our instructor, who I honestly rated as probably the best in UK, left to train under the top guy in europe leaving the school under the charge of a lesser instructor. He also put the prices up. That was enough for me. I have the dummy from my WC days, never got near it in WT, they also have a very regimented and steady teaching method. But I used to train for 4 hrs on a Mon, 2 hrs on a Tue and 5 hrs on a Thu at the schools and then every other Sat either at the school or with some of my training buddies in the squash court at work getting the chi sau hours under our belts. Been thinking about trying something new for a while now, maybe BJJ to see what all the fuss is about. So you rate Kempo? Might have a look into that too.

shando

jackie chan, jet lee or bruce lee???:D:P:D

yeah kempo was proper. we used to use judo, jujitsu, aikido, wing chun, western boxing and karate techniques. there was a bit of everything. disarming weapons etc. circuit training, ‘conditioning’, and just plain getting the crap kicked out of you! BIG emphasis on fitness as they said it’s usually the fitter fighter that wins! i did judo and shotokan karate when i was a teenager so found some of that useful. it was really good but wasn’t a school as such. a couple of black belts and a brown belt that ran classes and had a development structure that was recognised by a grading authority. it was better for not being a proper school as as you know, when it turns into a business it tends to be less ‘pure’. we just used to contribute to the hall rental.

they were really good guys and proper tough! they really didn’t **** about down there. very hard on discipline and when you hit you hit for real. i ended up giving it up because of martial art politics, the bike accident and we trained on a monday night and after a while i found it quite a harsh welcome to the week! having an 18 stone sweaty bloke knocking bits out of you just as you’re getting over your weekend was an acquired taste! glad i did it though as it taught me a few things wing chun didn’t. as you know fighting any tom dick or harry or the street is childs play really. coming up against other styles is where it’s at. that usually resulted in ground work. something bjj is unrivaled in. suppose the ethos was to get as tough as possible so when you got hit and taken down you could just shrug it off and get on with taking them apart. something wing chun never taught me, how to take a good hard smack on the nose and fight through streaming eyes and ringing ears!

talking about it is making me miss it actually. i’ve lost my fitness now though. haven’t trained for at least 2 years. bikes have taken over in that time. maybe i’ll get bored again soon and head back to it. it was good fun :slight_smile:

Don’t forget Sara Lee:D

I had the “pleasure” of attending a training session with this guy when I was much younger (and smaller) :stuck_out_tongue:

great video! a very well respected discipline :cool:

classic example of how to deal with kickers :hehe:

https://www.youtube.com/v/Ob1EUZA24S8&hl=en&fs=1

What a plonker!

Lol that faggot in the black shirt would have no chance against these guys:cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvjvugJ2rFM

that may well be. but you won’t ever know til you see em fight each other :wink:

until then…

https://www.youtube.com/v/xlRPDhuX1DY&hl=en&fs=1