Thick black drip?

I don’t know enough about my bike… I know this is pretty specific. But does anyone know what this thick black oily stuff is that dripped out overnight. From the lower of what I think are overflow pipes?

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

photo_upload.jpg

Looks like a crank case breather pipe. So probably a bit of oil.

What does it taste like?

could be chain lube. could be a front sprocket seal leak. take the front sprocket cover off for a better look. do i also spy an oil filter in that bottom image??

I put my finger over that lowest pipe and there were traces. I’ll get closer…

When you next park up, stick some tissue paper (bog roll) up each of the pipes, and that would at least tell you which one the drip may be coming out from.

If it’s the vent pipe it could just be a build in this hot weather

Never really had that happened to mine before. Not even if left in the sun.
But it’s a bit far out from the breathers and directly beneath the side stand. By memory that’s roughly also where the oil filter is.
You need to look underneath the belly pan for oil leaks.

Yeah will need to have a closer look and eliminate pipes. Check the oil filter. Eliminate the obvious first…

Thanks all!

might be an idea to clean it properly before any further investigation :wink:

That would mean I have to shower after too…

Not sure if it’s the same but I get oil flick from the chain to my stand and in the morning after I see the same patch as you have

I did wonder about chain fling. But never seen this after work for example. Only in the mornings. And not every day.

Also Jenkins is good, Concourse is better :stuck_out_tongue:

That should help track it down

Attachments

Given your track record of cleaning your bike I’m going with built up chain lube.

Unlikely. New chain and sprockets. Then tee adjustment couple of weeks ago. All clean in there for now… I hope…

Looks like a crank case breather pipe. So probably a bit of oil.
TheMonkey27
Crankcase breather would normally feed into the airbox.

Mine did the same. A bit of a leak when I was warming the engine up once or twice a week. New oil filter sorted it.

Looks like a crank case breather pipe. So probably a bit of oil. TheMonkey27
Crankcase breather would normally feed into the airbox.
Pat
exactly right. those hoses will usually come from the bottom of the air box and the vent in the petrol tank