The Worlds Fastest Indian

This film was mentioned in a Londonbikers.com podcast a few weeks back, Matt I have to say you were spot on I have just finished watching the film and it was a really good watch, its a good film full stop but if you like bikes and are a speed freak its even better.

Its about an old man with his old bike trying to live out an old life long dream, Anthony Hopkins plays the star Burt Munro in this “long way round” journey to reach the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah where he gets to have a go at the ultimate top speed run, its an amazing true story.

Go watch it for yourselves

Da Artist

Here is an interesting discussion about this film

http://www.ukbikeforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18281&hl=

I agree with DA, it’s a very good film. I thought it would be naff when I first heard about it, thinking boring story, or too Hollywood, but it’s neither, and the bike sure aint slow. It’s a good story, good acting and a laugh to boot! Watch it!

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/v/7Kg6y7miY_Y

We were lucky enough to catch it at the cinema (despite hardly anywhere showing it because it was a minority interest movie… and the one about gay cowboys wasn’t??). Thought it was a brilliant feel-good film, and one of Hopkins’ most engaging characters in a long time.

The Worlds Fastest Indian

vindaloo…straight through me in a blink of an eye.

joking aside. i did not think i would like the film but was mesmerised by it, that my bike is the most powerful production bike in the world and still not as fast as the indian…not yet…

Anyone watch this today? It was on BBC2 at 5pm, gutted I missed it!

I recorded it.

Bugger… forgot to record it - I have it on DVD somewhere, I got given it after my accident, but can I find it?

It’s one of my favourite Bike films:)

Might have to have a showing of it at The Inbreds Meet, whatdya fink?:wink:

The reason it isn’t too Hollywoody is becasue it is a New Zealand film.

With a Welsh star;):smiley:

Brilliant film hopkins really got that mix of fragility,eccentricity,and utter determination spot on in his character.
Don’t forget tho there are plenty of not so well known slightly off the wall homegrown motorcycle nuts ,

Len vale onslow ,inventor of the super onslow special and riding till just before his death at 102
Fred hill, died in pentonville for not paying his fines for refusal to wear a helmet
Even ‘old man on a bike’ who posts on these pages

I’m sure there are loads of local charismatic commited but not so famous old bikers that have done their bit for motorcycling history and could just as easily be the subject of a meaningful and moving film…
Might even start it as a separate thread if anyone comes up with some more nominies :slight_smile:

Well said :wink:

Yep I saw it, great film, amazing to think that a motorbike that came out of the factory with a top speed of 54mph could be prepared to do over 200mph!!

It brought back some memories for me too as I went to the 50th Anniversary of Speed Week back in 1998, it was their 60th this year. We may even have stayed in the same motel in Wendhover where they filmed Burt (Anthony Hopkins) boot polishing his tyres to cover up the cracks in the sidewalls!

That was a fantastic trip. :smiley:

hmm so what can a bike with a 180mph top speed do?? 600mph???

I think the real life guy still holds the record for fastest bike… he hit 241mph right?? I did have a snoop on WIKI and read baout it ages ago when I saw the film on SkyMovies, not sure if he still has the record but the he did for many years after.

lol imagine the health and safety people… they would have a field day in today’s time inspecting his bike and his safety gear:):slight_smile:

I like the fact that the film started off with a tracking shot of his garage - showing various bits of bike and tools strewn all over the place - I think a lot of us can relate to that! :smiley: Plus he winds his neighbours up by waking them up in the morning with the sound of his bike! All very familiar to a biker. :slight_smile:

I too thought this would be a dreary pile of pants when someone loaned it me a few months back, but really enjoyed it immensley and thought it was the best bit of acting Hopkins has ever done, particularly his abruptness which gave the character so much, er, character. Something you rarely see in films as the cast are often as mass-produced as the DVDs!

Absolute gem of a film - and you don’t even have to like bikes to appreciate it. Uplifting without being tacky and also beautifully performed and shot, it gets me every time. <blubs just thinking about it>Makes me want to ship the bike to Bonneville and see what she’ll do!

K xPS I like Brokeback Mountain, too - but then as a woman I’m not afraid of gay men…

hmm so what can a bike with a 180mph top speed do?? 600mph???

I think the real life guy still holds the record for fastest bike… he hit 241mph right?? I did have a snoop on WIKI and read baout it ages ago when I saw the film on SkyMovies, not sure if he still has the record but the he did for many years after.

lol imagine the health and safety people… they would have a field day in today’s time inspecting his bike and his safety gear

I stand to be corrected but I believe he does indeed still hold the record, but then if it wasnt for a gentlemans agreement between the manufacturers (after the arrival of the hyabusa) he wouldnt.

Ive just watched the film and its a totally brilliant film and everyone should see it.