The Wire HBO series

The Sage continues after Battlestar Galactica with Caprica series, which I thought was better. The new V is also good but not as good as the original series was back in its day.
I’d like to see a spin off series of Planet of the Apes, real cult stuff.

Soporanos I’ve never seen more than a few episodes, looks worthwhile though.

BM

im not too keen on ‘Caprica’ find it too simple… not enough characters :wink:

If you enjoyed the wire try the two source books; Homicide: a year on the killing streets, and The Corner. Utterly superb.

Sceats, are those two books factual or stories they based the Series on?

The Wire is the beginning and the end of good cop telly for me. Alright there is some dumb ludicrous lunacy but the threads just go back and forth weaving around more like real life than anything else I’ve ever seen. I’m sure many officers on here would disagree, but when a thread that was unfinished in Series 1 comes back in Series 5, you KNOW the writers are taking things seriously. TRUE quality.

Series 1 best moment ever. A 3 minute scene with Jimmy and his partner with the cigar. Examining a crime scene someone else had covered originally and uncovering everything the original officer did wrong… they say nothing except F**K whenever they discover a new screw up… it is PURE genius entertainment!

Never watched it but recently got given the first two series on DVD as a pressie … looking forward to it.

They are indeed: Homicide was David Simon spending a year following the Baltimore murder squad around and observing, writing a book on his time there. A few years later he teamed up with Ed Burns (formerly of the Baltimore murder squad) to spend a year with the other side, an extended family involved with drug consumption, to write The Corner. The Wire is a fusion of experiences of the two books, written by Messrs Simon and Burns, but on a larger canvas. .

Homicide was initially made into a mini-series in the 90s (Homicide, Life on the Street) and the Corner was made into an HBO mini-series (‘The Corner’) IMDB for more details.

Both books are utterly superb, with the Corner being a hugely angry rant at US drug and social policy; how an entire generation of young black males are being given no choice but a life of either selling or buying drugs, yet with the full federal law-book thrown at them. The humanity of the books is amazing, despite the appalling subject matter.

I might have come across as a bit of a fan…

You got there before I could! Such a brilliant scene, quite long and all shot in one take (I think) and as you say, only the word f**k is used, but along with the characters, you gradually discover what it is they are also discovering. http://youtu.be/KQbsnSVM1zM

Definitely one of the best TV series ever made in my opinion. Dexter was pretty good too, if on a slightly different scale.

Anyone know of any new series coming up to look out for?