The importance of protection

I’ve heard of the foot / chain snapping one before - is it really true?

I walked away from this thanks to Scott Racing leathers, i hit the barrier at about 60mph and i’am extremely lucky. I do sometimes wear jeans and Converse but normally only when bimbling in town. While i think that it really is your choice if you do or do not wear protection i think that if you don’t ever wear it at some point your going to come un stuck!!

Yes the bike is in 3 pieces!

Bloody hell! you weren’t exaggerating the severity of that prang Rixxy…

Over the years, I have dealt with about 6 crashes were this has happened.

Not common, but not unheard of either.

Looks like the chain snapping incident was discussed here 4 years ago…that’s why you’ve heard it before :slight_smile:

http://londonbikers.com/forums/Topic593929.aspx

Good piece, I’m in the camp of always wear your kit. Interesting bit about the tighter leathers holding the leg together.

We have recently concluded a case where the rider suffered a ruptured femoral artery which can prove fatal.

For reasons I won’t go into, the rider was left lying at the side of the road (with other severe injuries leaving him disabled for life) unattended for some time until the Ambulance service arrived.

It was confirmed that because he was wearing tight well fitting leathers, and given the time delays, it was his leathers that prevented him bleeding to death on the side of the road.

He may now be disabled, but he is alive because he followed some good advice about how his kit should fit.

Unfortunately there are many retailers who have no idea how kit (or helmets) are supposed to fit, but there are also some very good ones out there, and this chap had a good one.

HA! and you all at Bm mocked my leathers… I knew I was on to a sure thing.

Though I will say since my accident in January I have ridden in leather trousers.

The leg story is one I have heard before. But if words don’t do it for you Ask David.V what happened to his brothers foot after a summers ride.

Ross I’m glad you have finally started thinking that way…