The engine keeps cutting out on my Yamaha 125! Any ideas, help or affordable mechanics?

Still not having alot of luck getting this sorted, so have resorted to posting a vid of the bike
and problem in question up on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFsSkrWkIA

Perhaps seeing the problem might shed some more light on it.
I am now thinking it must be electrical.

If any one has any further ideas or if you think you can sort it
(I have £50 aside to fix it) please do let me know - cheers!

Does it always do it when u rev it? Its not getting too much fuel and flooding is it? Might explain the popping coming from your exhaust too.

• UPDATE *

…So I had a mechanic come look at my bike today finally, who said it wasnt a fuel problem
and narrowed it down to the electrics and charging system.

Basically he said the regulator was getting very hot and heating up and that the
battery was over charging and also bubbling up,
therefore he said its the alternator thats gone.

However after speaking with another friend about it they said its more likely to be
the regulator as thats its job to regulate it overheating and to replace that.
Bit confused what to buy and replace! Any thoughts?

Jesus is this still going on? I think the thing to do is talk to a Yamaha dealership and tell them to diagnose and solve the problem. Tell them that you don’t want a scenario where they replace every bloody thing to solve the issue - so if they can work on the basis that they fix the thing without taking the piss then fine - otherwise take it somewhere else…

Speak to Scorch (aka Tim). He’s the main man around here when it comes to this sort of thing.
Regulators aren’t cheap & you will need a new battery too so definitly worth double checking that’s the problem before you replace them.

I have at last found the problem lies with the regulator and alternator, which is heating up the battery / bike too much
and then subsequently cutting out. I have now bought a 2nd-hand regulator, alternator and pick up coil …
but just need someone to fit them.

I have tried Scorch, but he now has a full time job so is unavailable. Does anyone else know how and have the tools
to do it or help out? I have £50 and a beer for the man who can!

Get the bike and the spare parts down to OMC :wink:

…Problem is I can’t take the bike anywhere as it will only run for 5 minutes at a time!
So need someone to come to me to fit it (Im in bethnal green).

What is OMC??

Don’t you have breakdown recovery on your policy?

"Otara Millionaires Club…

They were best known for their 1996 hit “How Bizarre”, named one of the greatest New Zealand songs of all time by the Australasian Performing Right Association.

Your welcome :smiley:

I Googlied ‘OMC’ and Eureka, listed third after Otara Millionaires Club and Outdoor Media Centre was the very topically interesting looking inter webby site of Oval Motorcycle Centre and it’s less than 6 miles and three or four stop starts from Bethnal Green :wink:

I suggest that if you charge your battery overnight, disconnect your rectifier, re-fit your battery and set off, you’ll make the few (4) miles to the Oval in a single hit and really quite easily at that :wink: If you go there and DIY with the pro’s watching you’ll learn far more than putting it in the hands of a garage.

Ian

Cheers for all the advice! Havent been on the forums for past few months as my Virago just hasnt been sorted or working,
had such a nightmare with it , which I cant begin to get into all, but basically the alternator was overheating the rectifier
and battery, and then the rectifier was buring out (replaced it twice!) ended up having the alternator changed and rectifier
and then also new battery, plus some rewiring as it still wasnt charging properly even after all that! phewww…

Only now got it fixed before Christmas after alot of time effort, illimiation and money spent on it!
Still seems to be running smooth now and itching to get out on some comfortable fun rideouts
which are 125 friendly at last!! :slight_smile: