Tax, insurance and MOT

The 250’s tax, insurance and MOT all require renewal during the same week!

That could have been planned better to spread the cost

I once took the deliberate decision of paying for a 6 month tax just so that they didn’t all fall in same month

I once took the deliberate decision of paying for my road tax…I shant be doing that again! :slight_smile:

Now that tax no longer transfers to a new owner when a vehicle is sold, this will happen more and more if people arrange new insurance when they buy a new car.

That’s exactly how I ended up here. When I got the bike the seller put 12 months MOT on it, I had to tax and insure it and it all comes up at the same time. The proper bad news is the car tax, insurance and MOT kicks in exactly the same two weeks earlier ;-(

Double bubble out lay

and they wonder why there are so many untaxed/uninsured vehicles on the roads

In my younger days…

My car insurance, car mot, car tax, bike insurance (for 3 mulibike) and a bike tax all came in the same month last year.

You managed that lot without a mortgage?

I plan and save up throughout the year…

Somehow, first time I’ve used pay monthly insurance though.

and they wonder why there are so many untaxed/uninsured vehicles on the roads
T cat
When you tax a vehicle these days they basically tell you that you should just set up a direct debit and not have to think about it again. Both my bikes are on monthly direct debits for tax.

If my MOT didn’t come around at the same time as tax & insurance, I would definitely forget to get the bike MOT’d.

I think you get an MOT reminder. I hope so at least

You don’t, not fom the dvla at least (the mot station that did last year might)

Each to their own, its all about revenue streams.

DVLA only remind you of the tax

Your insurance company should send you a renewal reminder because they’re keen to pick up the repeat business.

Your MOT testing station may contact you for the repeat business but don’t bank on it happening because there are too many MOT deals around, mainly Class 4 (cars) but if anyone hears of any Class 2 (mo’cycles) deals then shout them out!

Or just auto renew without your knowledge with a steep price.

There is actually a very simple solution for remembering your tax and mot dates for all vehicles- but that requires an application on your mobile phone. Just few months ago I came around an app called “Vehicle Smart”. Just pop in the number plate and make of the vehicle, and you get full report on all MOTs done (with mileages and all), a check if it is taxed or not, dates of renewals and so on. Plus I believe it actually sends you a reminder a month and then 10 days before one runs out… I think in a free version you can add up to 5 vehicles… Just in case someone needs it… 

Your insurance company should send you a renewal reminder because they're keen to pick up the repeat business. National Treasure
all policies auto-renew now. it's in their best interests NOT to send you a reminder

i have mine all on the same date its much easier that way