Tank bag / tail bag

So i’ll occasionally need to carry a few bit and bobs; like disk lock + sandwiches etc.  I used to have a top box; but don’t want to get one on the new bike. Which leaves me three options really - ruck sack, tank bag, tail bag. I’ll make do with a ruck sack for the moment - any pro’s con’s to tank bags over tail bags? I don’t want to spend ages every day faffing with them putting them on an off (since i’ll be parking on the street, and don’t have covered parking at home.) So I though i’d ask the more experienced people on motorcycles that i know.

I prefer that stuff behind me, rather than in front of me but I don’t keep my phone in the bag it is my jacket pocket.

If you need to get in and out of it all the time then a tank bag can work fine.
I have a couple off Kriega bags that I strap to the bikes- they are waterproof.

I was in the same situation. After a week or so looking around, i realised the cheap sports direct ruck sack i was using was fine for me.

Baglux.

basic tank bag would be easiest

Depends on whether a magnetic one would attach

I had a Baglux on the Street Triple and it was great.
I bought a different one for the Tiger and it interfered with the bike’s steering.

Touratech do a handlebar bag that I want to try, might be good, especially for holding documents in when going through Eurotunnel and other small things.

I have the Kriega US20 tail bag. It’s a top quality product. Big enough to fit most of what I need if I’m going on a longer trip and small enough to still be easy to carry around. You can also expand the storage size by attaching smaller bags (US10) on its sides or a larger one below (US30).

I have all three types of bags: Kriega US5, US10 & US20 tail packs; Kriega R25 rucksack;and Baglux tank bags, the small Tweety,the Tourag satnav bag, the Driver, and the Newsign.

I use the Tweety bag nearly all the time. It takes my notepad, wallet, mobile, spare gloves, all the cables for recharging my mobile and action camera, and sometimes the puncture repair kit too.  It is small enough to not cause any obstruction to my arms or view of the clocks.  The bigger bag can sometimes clash with my forearms.  With a tail pack, if something goes wrong, you won’t know until you get off of the bike, so you need to secure them down properly.

Top picture is the Baglux Tweety bag,  the second picture is the Driver bag, and the third picture is not relevant, but I cannot see how to delete it.

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

photo_upload.jpg

photo_upload.jpg

I’ll never use a tank bag that attaches by straps again, not after my off where the bag caused much discomfort and injury in the wedding tackle department although it did prevent me becoming airborne, maybe my injuries would have been worse had I flown over the handlebars? I currently use the now redundant large Triumph tank bag as a tail pack. For occasional use of bits n bobs, disc lock and sandwiches I’d use my Lidl special tank bag but only attached by the magnets not the straps. It appears to be waterproof but I’ve not tested it to any degree of wetter yet, I’d be wrapping me sarnies up water tight before putting them in the bag anyways.

I used a givi tanklock bag and kriega tailpacks… for short commutes I would prefer the givi one. The mount makes it sit on the tank without touching it so no scratches, and it releases with a button. I had a 25L which expanded to 35 I think and it was great. A bit bulky when expanded but great nonetheless. used to carry laptop plus some clothes to change at work.

I love the kriega stuff but it just takes a few seconds more to strap it up so is a bit more of a hassle. I used them for three years until I tried the givi tankbag with the tanklock system

However, having something on the back is a bit more comfortable, you forget it’s there… for a soft tailpack, I would only go for Kriega. 

What new bike do you have? Personally, i use a backpack to carry my laptop, lunch and disc lock

For occasional use of bits n bobs, disc lock and sandwiches I'd use my Lidl special tank bag but only attached by the magnets not the straps. It appears to be waterproof but I've not tested it to any degree of wetter yet, I'd be wrapping me sarnies up water tight before putting them in the bag anyways. National Treasure
If it is the same as mine, with a separate clear rain cover, it is grand.

I got caught in heavy rain for over an hour and by the time I thought to use the cover it was too late.  Either it would be soaked inside already, or will be when I open it to get the cover out.  Seems it was not needed though as everything was perfectly dry inside, which is more than could be said for having my wallet in my coat pocket.

Definatly recommend the Krieger gear. Bit of a faff getting the straps in place (thanks Desmond!) but after that easy to add and remove the luggage. Also as mentioned comes with a 10 year warranty and is very waterproof.

Depends on the use, remember that a topbox is lockable, and detachable.  Bags can if pilfered whilst you are away from the bike.

I have used a Kriega US-10 tail bag for the last couple of years. Very well made and showing no signs of wear. Takes a few mins to put on / take off every time but easy enough. Never had anything get wet inside it. 

Kriega bags are great and once you get past the initial faf of figuring out how best to mount them on your bike they snap in and out easily. Plus they are modular so you can add more if you are going touring.

Bagster tank bags are good if your tank can accommodate a hugger. They also just snap in place once you’ve attached the tank hugger. I don’t use tank bags because I always ride with a satnav which they obscure.

If you are committed to commuting I would invest in a top box. They are beyond convenient and once mounted are zero faf.

If you are tempted to get by with a back pack try loading it up, putting it on then rolling around on your back. No imagine how much worse that would feel if you had an off.

What new bike do you have? Personally, i use a backpack to carry my laptop, lunch and disc lock CBR500R commuter
Its a Bandit 650... The backpack will be ok for short term; but don't really want to wear one long term.
Kriega bags are great and once you get past the initial faf of figuring out how best to mount them on your bike they snap in and out easily. Plus they are modular so you can add more if you are going touring.

Bagster tank bags are good if your tank can accommodate a hugger. They also just snap in place once you’ve attached the tank hugger. I don’t use tank bags because I always ride with a satnav which they obscure.

If you are committed to commuting I would invest in a top box. They are beyond convenient and once mounted are zero faf.

If you are tempted to get by with a back pack try loading it up, putting it on then rolling around on your back. No imagine how much worse that would feel if you had an off.

Joby
Yes committed commuter here - have a top box on the 125; but don't want to install one on the bandit. I think i'll go with a small tank bag - might save my pennies for the bagster.

Imaging what that will do to your spine in the event of an off … plus bike gear is designed to slide along. … a bag is going to spin you about in the same circumstances