Taking Pillions

Oh yeah, you will be surprised how easy the front wheel comes up, not even just sports bikes. I got a little angry with someone who almost squashed me, filtering down Euston Road on my old Transalp, and revved, but let the clutch out a little quick and was filtering on one wheel for a meter or two… rather un-nerving for me and the pillion!

I went as a pillion once with an experienced rider. Before we kicked off he said that there were 2 rules.

1. Only get on and off when he said to as otherwise we might end up in a heap.

2. Keep one hand on the grab rail around town so that we don’t bump heads. (it was a pan so massive grab rails).

I’d say rule one is a good one to explain to a passenger. Some also say to establish a system of signalling for go slower / go faster.

I’ve not taken a pillion thus far. I’m not insured to carry one (figured I’d save £30 when doing my insurance). If Rob plans a trip to Bulgaria I’ll try and bring a pillion back though.

I’m probably the most experienced pillion on LB :w00t:

Get them to have 1 arm round you and one of the grab rail, that way they ‘lean’ with you and can also stop themselves from slamming into you when you brake, change gear etc. I think the best thing to do is just go to a car park and have a practice. Good luck!

Traffic light hugs are the best :wink:

Damn, I missed them :wink:

When I had a broken foot, Jay gave me a lift to BM on the back of his GSXR 750 - that was scary!

Are the people on the list experienced pillions?
If not, you might not want to bother until you’ve got some decent practice under your belt, as a noob pillion can seriously put you off!

However, if they keep bugging you, tell them (to summarise what has been said):

1. Lean with me in the corners even though it might feel strange.
  2. Keep an eye on the road (cars, lights etc) and try to anticipate when I might brake, accelerate and so on.
  3. When I’m about to brake, place the palm of your hand, fingers facing upward on the curved part of the tank; for accelerating, hold on tight to the grab rail
  4. NO unecessary moving/ fidgeting, make yourself ‘one with the bike’.

Also, get them to wear your old gloves.

Make your riding the smoothest it has ever been! Give them a good experience and convert them to the cause :slight_smile:

Oh it may have been mentioned (I don’t know I didn’t read the whole thread, just most) but if they’re inexperienced as a pillion, make sure they’re not constantly looking over your shoulder.
It’s a very natural thing to want to be in control, so they will want to look at the clock and where they’re going.

Anyway my point is if they’re looking over your shoulder, meaning that will affect where their arse is placed on the rear seat, which in turn will affect balance. Also if make live saves a fucking chore.

One more point… If they start leaning the opposite way mid corner, because it makes them feel odd… Stop the ride immediately. I’ve been in that situation, and have had to do something pretty stupid and dangerous to try correct the bike from righting itself mid corner. Unfortunately this will make you look reckless to your passenger, and in my case her significantly pissed off non biker brother too.

put a top box on and gaffer tape them to it…no moving around job done :D:D

also tell then NOT to get on or off the bike until you are ready ie bike upright and feet on floor that way you are in control of the bike

Others have already covered most of the basics, but remember to check your tyre pressures! Your bike manual should indicate if you need to increase the tyre pressures or alter the suspension pre-load when carrying a pillion. If the bike is lowered and already has reduced suspension travel, its worth asking a dealer/OMC for advice on what may need adjusting, as the manual is written on the assumption that it has the stock suspension. On my VFR the rear preload goes up 2/3 notches depending on the pillion, and remember to reset it afterwards.

Before riding with your first pillion, have a test run carrying a large (20kg) bag of sand or other heavy stuff - ideally inside a top box or bungeed securely to the back seat. This will give you an idea of what you are letting yourself in for without having to contend with the pillion moving around - just don’t go mad as most topbox carrier racks have weight limits!

Although you will be riding with less than half/third the weight of a typical adult pillion, it will give you an inkling of how your bike will feel, and a chance to decide whether carrying a pillion is a good idea or not. With extra weight high up and on the back of the bike, you will find the bike feels top heavy and the steering is light, and it will be sluggish to both accellerate and brake.

If you feel OK, then go for it. Your pillion will appreciate it if you focus on smooth acceleration and braking.

I don’t really notice too much of a difference and I carry people all sorts of different sizes; from my petite gf to a giant Schmidt. Forget all this messing about with tyre pressures, suspension etc. Just keep the revs busier than usual and the bike will stay upright. When turning don’t throw it into a corner just lean it softly into the corner.

In regards to how the pillion sits on the bike… I’m not really fussed to be honest. They can move their head as much as they want as long as both their feet are on the correct foot pegs. If someone acts overly stupid next step is to strap my helmet to my arm after dropping them at a bus stop and ride off.

My tuppenceworth as a regular pillion carrier:

1. Do sort out your tyre pressures (check your manual) and jack up the preload. Otherwise your front end will feel vague, which won’t help your confidence, you’ll accidentally wheelie everywhere and your headlights will dazzle car drivers, who will hate you.

2. Don’t give it laldy away from the lights - if I can get the front up with my missus on the bike gassing it on an ER-5 then anything with more power is definitely a wheelie risk.

3. If you do it regularly, get an intercom, the pillion finds it much more relaxing and you know what they’re up to.

4. If they’re uncomfortable, get them to adjust their position when you’re moving along at about 30mph - much easier to keep the bike balanced then as opposed to when you’re stopped at the lights and have got to hold the whole assembly up.l

5. Get them to look over your shoulder as you turn - establishes to them they are an active participant in the experience, and my girlfriend tells me this is helpful in moving her body rather than clambering over the bike trying to stay upright. Left shoulder for left turns etc.

6. Try to avoid sudden inputs, particularly braking hard and your balls get mashed against the tank (perhaps not an issue for you lady riders but still…)

agreed with Numnum.

and Alex, your girlfriend is the size of one of your arms, you probably feel like you’re wearing a big backpack when she’s pillion :laugh:

We must have gone 10’s of thousands of miles two up, Can’t believe how complicated you lot are making it:w00t: simples just get on and ride:) think about it too much and you will panick and bin it. There are no do and don’t;)

Go for it and enjoy:)

Why not fit a bike lowering kit? Most makes have suchthings.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/764

gotta agree with ya Mo

I agree with Miss Plum, I found the idea of taking a pillion a bit scary - it is ok for you lads who can throw your bikes around but for the smaller members of the group it can be intimidating.

I made a point of taking a experienced rider who knew me well and just went for a very gentle pootle and was nervous as hell the whole time!

I am still not convinced by taking pillions, but I know I can do it, mind you that may be because one of the selling points of a motorbike to me is that you don’t have company :slight_smile:

Much depends on the bike and defining some rules for the passenger. On some bikes, the balance is upset by somebody on the back and it takes a conscious change of riding style to account for it. On some other bikes, you’d hardly know you have a passenger aboard. Firstly, and as already pointed out by others, the pillion passenger only gets on and off when you are on the bike, comfortable and ready for them. Secondly, they also need to lean the same way, that’s important. Thirdly, they have to develop their own way of getting on and off - I recommend stepping onto the peg and bending the other leg at the knee to get it over the seat as if getting on a horse. The reverse for getting off. It might be possible to swing the leg over the back of the bike but not possible if backrests or top boxes are fitted.

Panniers can also get in the way when getting on and off. Practice is needed to avoid these. Bikers that regularly carry passengers and have panniers often have scuff marks on the panniers where boots have caught them during the mount/dismount procedure. That’s why plain black panniers are best. Painted panniers look good but best suited for solo riders as they mark too easily.

When they are seated comfortably, develop a simple system of communication - one tap on the right shoulder means that they are comfortable and ready to go, two taps mean that they have an issue and want to talk to you. As somebody has already suggested, an intercom is great but they aren’t always easy and comfortable to fit and can become inaudible at speed. Fall back to the tap on the shoulder when this happens so you can slow down to restore intercom communication.

A bike with a low centre of gravity is good with passengers as well as a bike with a low seat so they get on/off readily. My wife had only been out for the odd day on the back of my bikes (FRJ1300 and Bandit 1250) before embarking on a 14-day 2,600 mile journey along Route 66 a couple of years ago. That was on a Harley and we had no problems whatsoever. The low and big comfy seat helped here. Harleys are great for passengers in the US but not great for passengers in the UK where the ground clearance is generally insufficient for roundabouts and the like. I tell a lie - the only problem we did have was my wife falling asleep on the back. I could always tell this by touching the brakes whereupon she would lean forward and her helmet would bang against mine!

Good grab rails help with passenger confidence and also help them lean correctly as well. Small rails behind the seat don’t inspire confidence and can cause arm ache. Bigger grab rails as part of a luggage rack or pannier system are much better.

In some ways, learning to ride with passengers is like learning to ride all over again. Just take it easy. Some bikes are more forgiving than others. Don’t rush it and take your time. Don’t worry about being petite and not being able to manage the weight. You might not be able to pick your bike up if it fell over but you probably don’t think about that because you have already achieved a sense of balance and built up some confidence. The same with passengers, get used to the feel and balance with a passenger aboard and you’ll soon get the hang of it. I have a short leg length and can only balance the bike on the balls of my feet at lights. It’s something I’ve got used to and doesn’t bother me. Same with passengers, you get used to them over time.