Take the 3 points or speeding course?

I’ve not been on one, but as Joby has said people I know that have been on them actually thought it was quiet good.

Mine was after work. It was a Friday so the guy running it finished it early :+1:

Some of the material was interesting but the guy talking was a condescending idiot which I took great delight in pointing out ar every opportunity so not a great experience for me

is there even a record for who’s been on a speed awareness course for insurance companies to see? - I did a speed awareness course but I have no fucking idea when it was… not even what year it was in. that’s how much attention I paid. - mine was delivered by a German, who kept getting slated by the class because of germanys autobahns.

Same for me Eezie. He was trying to explain that when merging traffic, we should take up all of the merging lane til the end. How he explained it was he would drive all the way to the end then cut in. Alienated him to the whole class, no-one likes someone who does that.

But apparently there is evidence that this has the biggest benefit for traffic… I’ll see if I can find the study that references it.

A bit like the rule on the tube about standing on one side. It’s apparently better overall to queue on both

I think some people could benefit from the course. Saw a Richy Vida video the other day where he went on one and it turns out he wasn’t aware of the national speed limits of the van he drives daily. Criminal to be honest. If you are already up to date on your highway code, and you were doing 47 at that point because the conditions warranted it, take the points as there isn’t the money to be saved doing the course that there was. If you were unaware that you were speeding at the time, I’d probably go on the course. Sounds like your driving record is pretty clean.

It’s not taking up the merging lane and “cutting in at the end”? It’s a merge in turn, and you should stay two lanes to the end because you should be looking to keep the flow of traffic moving. It’s not a charitable act to “let someone in” from the merging lane. If it’s their turn, you let them in and you’ll get to your destination faster. The people who don’t like it shouldn’t have passed their driving theory test.

1 Like

Thanks all…I think I better get booked up…

If you register and they don’t contact you then you have to chase them to make sure you get booked in before the deadline. If you don’t than you may miss the opportunity to do the course so just be vigalint and make sure you get booked in.

When I did a course earlier this year they said that there was a central record of people who’d been on a course.
Interestingly, they also said that from a legal standpoint you don’t have to inform your insurers that you’ve been done for speeding and attended a course unless they specifically ask you.

My course was quite an eye-opener. Many people’s lack of understanding and awareness was pretty staggering.

were you doing it for experience, or have you been following Mark to much.:policeman::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

This. Specifically:

When applying for car insurance, insurers may ask if you have any motoring convictions or prosecutions. As neither of these apply to drivers who have attended a driver awareness course, the Financial Ombudsman has confirmed that drivers attending a course can honestly answer ‘No’ to this question. However, if an insurer asks specifically about attendance of a driver awareness course, then drivers must provide this information on the application form or at any other time during the lifetime of the insurance policy, typically at renewal. Failure to do so may invalidate the insurance. Please read your insurer’s terms and conditions.

As for the course. I guess it really depends on your instructor. Mine was actually a really entertaining guy with no condescension or finger-pointing. While speed was obviously the main part of the course, we also covered lots of other driving related topics: tailgating, road rage, hazard perception (with pictures), the importance of being focused and ways to keep yourself awake, etc.