SV650 not starting

Toony’s 2000 SV650 died yesterday and won’t restart, it turns over but just won’t fire up. when you switch the ignition on you can’t here a Fuel pump priming, (does a Curvy SV have a fuel pump or is it syphoned into the carb via a vacuum??) it would seem there is either no fuel getting in or there is no spark, i checked what i could with the tool kit in the boot and without getting it to my house with my tools can’t really go too far into it. A quick Google says it seems like a common problem but there are 2 or 3 different explanations, 

1. Duff Battery

2. Regulator/Rectifier

3. Electrical Fault

It’s just been serviced so the Plugs/Filters etc are fine, the Oil is at the correct level with no leaks. But prior to last week it had been sat in my garage for 2 or 3 Months not moving. It started on the button every time i tried it, and also started first time when he come to pick it up, it just seems since the really cold weather has kicked in it has developed this fault (which would suggest it could be just the Battery)

You should hear the fuel pump prime up check the fuel pump fuse

As TJD Said Fuses first

I had to change the fuses on my bike as one had blown, I still had the engine just nothing else

if it was the reg or Gen you would had some form of notice as in  lights & dash dying  indicators not working before the engine died

The curvy SV is carb, but that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have a fuel pump.

I don’t know if curvy has this problem, but mine(pointy) had wire broken under the air filter in between the front of filter box and frame. It’s apparently the only thing which goes wrong on pointy sv650.  On mine when ignition was switched on, all the dashboard lights were on, but there was not a single sound of life when I was turning the key(no fuel pump, starter, anything).

Good luck. 

not many references on ebay for a fuel pump before 2003. 

did find this a couple of times but I don’t see how that’s a pump. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV650S-SV-650-99-02-Fuel-Gas-Petrol-Pump-/321838372128?hash=item4aef0fd520:g:UjUAAOSwpDdVVdz7

Sorry looks like carbs up to 2003 you will have to look elseware.

if its carb, can you do the ‘spray carb cleaner into carb’ and if it fires, its probably missing fuel? trick?

I know you’ll have checked the kill switch, but just for reference, some bikes (like mine) will turn over even with the kill switch enabled, they just won’t fire up. If you are used a bike where the kill switch completely kills the ignition circuit then you mightn’t realise this is why it won’t start and only realise once you’ve pushed it to a petrol station.

The part mian posted about is the part I thought was the problem when I had the tank up yesterday

main fuse on the start solenoid under the seat

Checked that, looks fine. But wont hurt to change all the fuses as they are pennies

they can need a clean

good point. get some contact cleaner while you’re buying fuses

. But prior to last week it had been sat in my garage for 2 or 3 Months not moving. It started on the button every time i tried it, and also started first time when he come to pick it up, it just seems since the really cold weather has kicked in it has developed this fault (which would suggest it could be just the Battery) Marmablade
i think i would start with the battery mate.  by just starting up the bike you probably killed the battery for good.  the battery needs the bike to run in order to recharge so if you just start it up without moving it would just kill it eventually.

^^ very true

But its been used every day for the last week with no issue. Riding from Essex into the city and back

And it turns over no problem with no sign of the battery sounding dead. It just wont fire. Its like there is no spark or no fuel getting to the engine

does what’s coming out the exhaust smell of fuel?

Nothing comes out the exhaust